Bye bye phantom. It was fun :(

so lost signal tonight, and the app was disconnected. Looking at the position the aircraft was and the fastest line back to me I think I know what happened.

Manage to get the aircraft back but not sure if the repair cost will be so much that it's in economical. We will find out I guess.

Not as mad as I thought I'd be. I guess the way I look at it is flying drones always carries this risk of crashing
View attachment 79729

It was a P3S??? I lost mine as well, but I never couldn't find... i think he landed correctly because I was in the middle of nowhere but I could find where he landed
60e3757c53472733160607acb9125fe7.jpg

It was a P3S??? I lost mine as well, but I never couldn't find... i think he landed correctly because I was in the middle of nowhere but I could find where he landed
60e3757c53472733160607acb9125fe7.jpg

Surely yours tried to return home right?

IF you are in Class G airspace, you can fly 400' above a structure of you stay within 400' of the structure.... AND you must remain below either 700' or 1200' (depending on how that Class G airspace is designated on an aerial chart).

Kind of yeah. By law you can't fly higher than 400ft.

That chimney is 660 ft

Buy aerial map and check your flight area. Set your maximum altitude 400 feet above tallest object, because your return to home must legally clear the tallest object, then fly at 400 feet or less. if it returns home it MUST clear tallest object. This will never happen again if you do this. it is legal to fly 400 feet above tallest structure.

Buy aerial map and check your flight area. Set your maximum altitude 400 feet above tallest object, because your return to home must legally clear the tallest object, then fly at 400 feet or less. if it returns home it MUST clear tallest object. This will never happen again if you do this. it is legal to fly 400 feet above tallest structure.

It's right on the edge of the Southampton CTR SFC-2000' Class D airspace. Sailing close to the wind there :)

BTW. the chimney is reported as 648' on the chart. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazzauk
Not sure I understand what happened in the OP situation or the poster who shows his crash in the trees. So I must be missing something.
1. Why didn't the obstacle avoidance prevent the OP's craft from hitting the chimney?
2. Why was the tree crasher's craft flying backwards in RTH mode, and wouldn't that mean his OV sensors couldn't have sensed the trees before crashing?

Not sure I understand what happened in the OP situation or the poster who shows his crash in the trees. So I must be missing something.
1. Why didn't the obstacle avoidance prevent the OP's craft from hitting the chimney?
2. Why was the tree crasher's craft flying backwards in RTH mode, and wouldn't that mean his OV sensors couldn't have sensed the trees before crashing?

Phantom 3 standard has no obstacle avoidance

Reactions: gvsukids
Kind of yeah. By law you can't fly higher than 400ft.

That chimney is 660 ft

Watched the video, looks like you made it to 660 ft. and then some... but I'm just speculating... ;)

BTW - I'm in the States, but have been to the Esso refinery once. Didn't get a chance to see the English countryside (other than a swing by Stonehenge after work one day), so appreciated the beautiful scenery... I saw the Mission Impossible that was filmed at the power station, but now have to go back and re-watch it again with a different perspecitve...

Enjoy your P4... my son's has been able to give some really great footage. Just stay away from that stack... :cool:

Reactions: Dazzauk
Watched the video, looks like you made it to 660 ft. and then some... but I'm just speculating... ;)

BTW - I'm in the States, but have been to the Esso refinery once. Didn't get a chance to see the English countryside (other than a swing by Stonehenge after work one day), so appreciated the beautiful scenery... I saw the Mission Impossible that was filmed at the power station, but now have to go back and re-watch it again with a different perspecitve...

Enjoy your P4... my son's has been able to give some really great footage. Just stay away from that stack... :cool:

Ha ha no I was at like 399 ft it was just camera trickery. Honest guv lol.

Don't know if it will help, but my P3 standard hit a tree and burnt out one of motor drives last year. Everything else survived. I sold the camera and the battery is faulty, but have everything else, if you are interested?

Provided your main board and camera is okay you could get going again as my case, legs, motors are undamaged.

Robin

Reactions: NHABD
so lost signal tonight, and the app was disconnected. Looking at the position the aircraft was and the fastest line back to me I think I know what happened.

Manage to get the aircraft back but not sure if the repair cost will be so much that it's in economical. We will find out I guess.

Not as mad as I thought I'd be. I guess the way I look at it is flying drones always carries this risk of crashing
View attachment 79729

Very sorry about the crash.... just out of curiosity was your remote the plus version with screen? Or without...?
Reason I asked I have the p4p+ and my buddy has p4p. We noticed communication difference in respect to viewing while flying. My buddy uses a Samsung G S4 and experience more lag time than my plus version.
Another test we experienced his Samsung G S4 locked up n his drone did not return home. But did land a mile out and we spent 5 hours to find. Were not sure why comms are noticeably different? Maybe others know?
Hope your up flying soon....

Isnt there a maximum range you set in the app. Just walk in last known direction and look for it

Very sorry about the crash.... just out of curiosity was your remote the plus version with screen? Or without...?
Reason I asked I have the p4p+ and my buddy has p4p. We noticed communication difference in respect to viewing while flying. My buddy uses a Samsung G S4 and experience more lag time than my plus version.
Another test we experienced his Samsung G S4 locked up n his drone did not return home. But did land a mile out and we spent 5 hours to find. Were not sure why comms are noticeably different? Maybe others know?
Hope your up flying soon....

It was a phantom 3 Standard buddy :D:D So no screen other than iphone :p

Reactions: NHABD
Isnt there a maximum range you set in the app. Just walk in last known direction and look for it

Oh i found it dude lol, there's now pieces ( the bits that work) of it scattered around the globe :)

No need for that vague way.

I lodged in a tree going backwards, I cut the motors but because I was looking at the screen I lost contact with the a/c with eyeball Mk1, but I could see on the Go app that I was at an altitude of 6 feet.

I walked to the row of trees 300 feet away still looking at my screen map on the controller. I could see the red pointer a/c position. As I walked I saw the blue circle (Home Point) slowly moving. It dawned on me that this was the map position of the controller that I was carrying.

I walked towards the a/c symbol so that the blue circle and the aircraft symbol merged and nearly trod on the a/c in the very tall grass. It had fallen out of the tree and suffered a broken prop with no other damage.

I was unaware that the home point actually would move on the map showing the position of the controller. Common sense I suppose but I was unaware of it.

I was unaware that the home point actually would move on the map showing the position of the controller. Common sense I suppose but I was unaware of it.

For completeness I wish to mention that home point is NOT tracking position of the (remote) controller, there is no way to do that.

It's tracking the position of the GPS enabled display device (phone or iPad/tablet) which runs the DJIGO app. That device is connected to RC, physically very close - so may look like its tracking RC.

For completeness I wish to mention that home point is NOT tracking position of the (remote) controller, there is no way to do that.

It's tracking the position of the GPS enabled display device (phone or iPad/tablet) which runs the DJIGO app. That device is connected to RC, physically very close - so may look like its tracking RC.

Ah. Thanks for that. I'm just glad I bought the equipment that does it. More by luck than judgement.

Main thing is - it worked.:)

Reactions: Loz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT