Buy P4P whilst abroad?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm going away on holiday this week and it's looking more likely (in fact almost certain!) that my P3P won't be back from DJI in time for me to take it away with me.

I have had a look at prices where I am travelling to (Malaysia) and the cost there for a P4Pro is significantly less than buying from a U.K. Retailer. The only issue I see is if there is a warranty issue and the drone had to be returned, because it would have to go back to China, rather than the european repair centre.

Is it worth the risk? The saving is nearly 600GBP on retail cost, compared to UK price!!! That is a very tempting saving, but is it worth the risk?

I would say it is. The odds are that you won't need warranty service, and with those kind of savings you have a nice reserve even if you did have to pay for something out of pocket.

I would say it is. The odds are that you won't need warranty service, and with those kind of savings you have a nice reserve even if you did have to pay for something out of pocket.

After my recent issues with DJI repair service, I have concerns about having to return anything to them in future, but I know it's a possibility! The extra shipping times & cost of shipping would be a bugger, but a £600 saving is a huge chunk of money!

Just had another thought..... if I was to buy a P4P whilst on holiday, would I have to pay import tax coming back through customs?

Just had another thought..... if I was to buy a P4P whilst on holiday, would I have to pay import tax coming back through customs?
That depends on your own particular country's laws, they are all different. But in general unless it is something you are required to declare before leaving there's no real way for them to know that you didn't just take it with you on vacation (in which case it's a good idea to toss the box before arriving at Customs ;) )

That depends on your own particular country's laws, they are all different. But in general unless it is something you are required to declare before leaving there's no real way for them to know that you didn't just take it with you on vacation (in which case it's a good idea to toss the box before arriving at Customs ;) )

I see where you're coming from ;);):rolleyes:

I bought my P4 in the Philippines as I was saving approx $700 , chucked the outer packaging and Australian customs took one look and waved me through. Took it with me many times back and forth and no one bothered me. As for warranty, I hope I don't need to test my patience.

I bought my P4 in the Philippines as I was saving approx $700 , chucked the outer packaging and Australian customs took one look and waved me through. Took it with me many times back and forth and no one bothered me. As for warranty, I hope I don't need to test my patience.

So annoying that you can buy the same item so much cheaper abroad! I suppose that's the UK for you though-we always seem to get stiffed paying loads extra for stuff here, especially electrical/electronic items.

The one and only thing that is of concern, is if I had to return it, because DJI customer service is poor at best!

So annoying that you can buy the same item so much cheaper abroad! I suppose that's the UK for you though-we always seem to get stiffed paying loads extra for stuff here, especially electrical/electronic items.

The one and only thing that is of concern, is if I had to return it, because DJI customer service is poor at best!
The guy running the authorised dji reseller business in Manila told me that the price points for the various countries is based on what the market can bear and what the average wage was in those markets. Australia must be seen as a filthy rich middle class market, hence the whopping $700. As for any claims, I've been pretty lucky and my warranty is nearly up, a crash is probably going to be my fault and I haven't been visited by some of the issues seen on this forum.

The guy running the authorised dji reseller business in Manila told me that the price points for the various countries is based on what the market can bear and what the average wage was in those markets. Australia must be seen as a filthy rich middle class market, hence the whopping $700. As for any claims, I've been pretty lucky and my warranty is nearly up, a crash is probably going to be my fault and I haven't been visited by some of the issues seen on this forum.

The price points is a good explanation, but still bugs me. Things in the U.K., for example, are still more expensive to buy than the same product in the US and no one can persuade me that the UK is richer that the US!

Some of the issues raised on this and other forums tell a sorry tale for DJI customer service! I know people tend to come onto these forums to do just that, where you're less likely to come on here and tell of good customer service, but some of the stories I have read have been truly shocking. I have recent firsthand experience myself, which still isn't resolved after 3 weeks. DJI may well have improved a lot, but they still have a long long way to go.

The price points is a good explanation, but still bugs me. Things in the U.K., for example, are still more expensive to buy than the same product in the US and no one can persuade me that the UK is richer that the US!

Some of the issues raised on this and other forums tell a sorry tale for DJI customer service! I know people tend to come onto these forums to do just that, where you're less likely to come on here and tell of good customer service, but some of the stories I have read have been truly shocking. I have recent firsthand experience myself, which still isn't resolved after 3 weeks. DJI may well have improved a lot, but they still have a long long way to go.
What is of more concern to me is the crap after sales tech support over here. I have been waiting for over six weeks for a problem I had with my new goggles, having been told I stuffed up the HDMI fit and and RC upgrade on my P4. I sent the package to them (fortunately they sent me a loan controller after I signed away one of my kidneys) to keep me going. They rang me yesterday, the goggles were faulty..... These are same people who are going to help me with any warranty issues I may have, and they are the recommended, go to people in Australia.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT