built a diy lipo safe box, will it work?

Reaction score
steel box, drywall, oven seal, in the cover is stainless steel wool and rockwool
(for pressure release, flame stopping and a little smoke filtering)
tested it with a little amount of black powder, seemed to work good,
but not sure it will withstand a real lipo burning, dont want to test because the box would smell very bad afterwards. does it seem useful?

IMG_7552.JPG
IMG_7553.JPG
IMG_7554.jpg

Last edited:
been using lipos for years now and never had an issue. most issues ive read about happen when charging. ive lipos sitting in my attic for over a year without any problems,but they are in an ammo box(just because)
would you store your fone in that box when not in use or charging? it more than likely uses a lipo.
but yes your box does look usefull for storage and piece of mind.
nice job

been using lipos for years now and never had an issue. most issues ive read about happen when charging. ive lipos sitting in my attic for over a year without any problems,but they are in an ammo box(just because)
would you store your fone in that box when not in use or charging? it more than likely uses a lipo.
but yes your box does look usefull for storage and piece of mind.
nice job
phones mostly use lithium ion not lithium polymer batteries,
and despite that also burn some some time (very rare)
lipos do blow up for "no reason" while storaged. how often? search the web...

anyway, thanks for looking at thit ugly piece of scrapmetal,
dont know what would happen to my box in case of a bigger explosion,
wheter the whole cover will fly away because the point welded hinges break,
or the accelerated, pressurised rockwoll etc will blow away the metal mesh on top...

Nice, but you can buy a .50 cal ammo can for about $10 at any surplus store. Or you could buy a couple of LiPo charging bags on Amazon for about $10 each.

Yiu
Nice, but you can buy a .50 cal ammo can for about $10 at any surplus store. Or you could buy a couple of LiPo charging bags on Amazon for about $10 each.
You could have paid someone to type this post for you. There is a certain satisfaction in DIY and repurposing otherwise unused stuff you have lying around.

first i wanted to do that, then i saw some videos of ammo boxes disintegrating because of a lipo explosion, despite the seal had been removed.

Yiu

You could have paid someone to type this post for you. There is a certain satisfaction in DIY and repurposing otherwise unused stuff you have lying around.
Oh absolutely! No question that that's true. It was just an observation, not an accusation. I know an avid R/C flyer that enjoys building storage racks for his planes more than he enjoys building the planes.

I researched online and found that some types of Steel Wool are flammable. Not sure if Stainless Steel Wool is or not. May not matter in your case, but just throwing it out there as a precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I researched online and found that some types of Steel Wool are flammable. Not sure if Stainless Steel Wool is or not. May not matter in your case, but just throwing it out there as a precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

normal steel wool burns nice when lit and swirled around on a piece of wire to support oxygen, which looks beautiful in the night.
stainless steel wool does not burn under the conditions i tested (with loose black powder,
gas torch)

Oh absolutely! No question that that's true. It was just an observation, not an accusation. I know an avid R/C flyer that enjoys building storage racks for his planes more than he enjoys building the planes.

i enjoy not calling the fire department...

normal steel wool burns nice when lit and swirled around on a piece of wire to support oxygen, which looks beautiful in the night.
stainless steel wool does not burn under the conditions i tested (with loose black powder,
gas torch)
Like this... it was fun until a spark lit up the open box of wool I had sitting behind me.

IMG_0218.PNG

Reactions: petermeter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl