Brooklyn man arrested for flying drone over Manhattan

Wow!! This can't be good for us. **** idiot!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Man, no sooner do I get back into the R/C hobby with a Phantom - then some chuckle-head has to go and do something idiotic to potentially ruin it for all of us - or at least give the hobby a bit of a black eye. Maybe we ought to start discouraging people a bit more strongly who intentionally fly out of range or to excessive heights and do other things that put people and aircraft in danger, no matter how slight.

I see a fair bit of that reported right here on this forum. At first I thought it was an unavoidable consequence of the limitations of the radio receivers and transmitters. Now I see that it is just as much a matter of lack of familiarity with the equipment, failure to read the manual(s), and sometimes pilots attempting to fly beyond their capabilities or in marginal weather conditions.

I'm not here to criticize, ESPECIALLY because I am new to quadcopters, but I do have some credibility from many years of R/C planes and heli's and because I'm a lawyer by profession. I can tell you without a doubt that if there is a perception (often wrongly inflammed by the media) that these flying wonders are dangerous, the knee-jerk reaction of politicians is "BAN, BAN, BAN". THAT would be #@%ing tragic.

PF

PhantomFan said:
I'm not here to criticize, ESPECIALLY because I am new to quadcopters, but I do have some credibility from many years of R/C planes and heli's and because I'm a lawyer by profession. I can tell you without a doubt that if there is a perception (often wrongly inflammed by the media) that these flying wonders are dangerous, the knee-jerk reaction of politicians is "BAN, BAN, BAN". THAT would be #@%ing tragic.
PF

You being a Lawyer....Do you seriously think the Federal or State Government can ever ban anyone from flying something like a Phantom? Come on now? Banning the use of a camera while flying...I can see that but that will not prevent someone from flying an RC-Heli or Quad in a populated area and it crashing into someone and hurt them.

So a few weeks ago someone was killed because they were hit by a model fixed wing aircraft flying in a park where it was not supposed to be flying and no one here even mentioned it because it's not a sexy story. I also dont see all the grey hairs up in arms with fellow flyers spreading propoganda and fear that someone is gonna come after thier hobby

They are not coming for your guns and they are not coming for your Phantoms.

With that said there is some reason for the conversation but really?

Not completely accurate. He was arrested for being an idiot. Reckless endangerment for sure.
I can fly a Phantom through a school bus and I would never do this. Mechanical failure could mean someone getting hurt.
I'd arrest his *** too.

The FAA and AMA have said: line-of-sight flying only, max. 400' and no flying over populated areas.

But you know tons of people will violate these guidelines everyday!

You being a Lawyer....Do you seriously think the Federal or State Government can ever ban anyone from flying something like a Phantom? Come on now? Banning the use of a camera while flying...I can see that but that will not prevent someone from flying an RC-Heli or Quad in a populated area and it crashing into someone and hurt them.

The laws will "ban" flying. The idiots will continue to be idiots. Just like DUI laws don't "ban" drunk drivers or speed limits don't "ban" street racers - the laws hopefully curtail the behavior and establish consequences for that behavior. Yes, I see the government working to "ban" recreational UAV's in populated or urban areas. The laws regarding UAVs go into effect in 2015, you familiar with any of them?
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42940.pdf

So a few weeks ago someone was killed because they were hit by a model fixed wing aircraft flying in a park where it was not supposed to be flying and no one here even mentioned it because it's not a sexy story. I also dont see all the grey hairs up in arms with fellow flyers spreading propoganda and fear that someone is gonna come after thier hobby
Have a link for that story?
I did read and hear on the national news about the kid in NY who was a very experienced pilot who was killed (nearly decapitated) by his RC helicopter at a sanctioned flying field. It wasn't a sexy story, but it was all over the national news.

Are you an AMA member? There has been quite a bit of talk in the AMA about where our hobby is headed with the introduction of so many affordable UAVs, and what limitations may result from the actions of the idiots out there flying these things over crowds, parades, streets, etc., etc.

With that said there is some reason for the conversation but really?

Yes, I think PhantomFan's concerns are valid.

My concern is that lawmakers and their constituents are unduly influenced by the media. The media has NO compunction whatsoever with regard to sensationalizing and inaccurately reporting the risk/benefit ratios in MANY human behaviors. Politicians typical response is to over-react instead of simply react. Very little finding of fact goes on before they act. The threat is real if enough of these incidents happen in too short a period of time.

The fellow who died recently showing off his heli skills to his family was fatally injured by his carbon fiber prop. It deeply cut into his shoulder and scalp. That also happened HERE in NY. I'm not worried about the Feds, but state and local legislation??? You betcha!

To use your example: Alcohol. You sir, forget your history? Remember prohibition??? Of course you don't...but it HAPPENED. What I'm saying is that if enough people do enough stupid things that come to the attention of the media (who only report the negative) you can expect NOTHING good will come of it. :evil:

My $.02.

Stupid people do stupid things

The guy in Manhattan had done the same stupid thing many times before with no issues. This incident where he displayed bad judgement as he previously had almost injured someone. Bad phantom pilot ...he's an idiot but "WHEN" laws are passed to regulate where and how i fly my Phantom i would now be the idiot if i blamed the fact that i am now beholden to be responsible...on him.

Stupid people do stupid things everyday with cars, with drugs, with politics, with assult weapons and we could go on and on.
They still have not come and got my gun, They still have not taken away my car, They still let me drink until i kill myself and everyone around me.

And you guys think they are gonna take my toy!

The guy in Manhattan had done the same stupid thing many times before with no issues.
Where did you read this?

This incident where he displayed bad judgement as he previously had almost injured someone.
Where did you read this?

Bad phantom pilot ...he's an idiot but "WHEN" laws are passed to regulate where and how i fly my Phantom i would now be the idiot if i blamed the fact that i am now beholden to be responsible...on him.
Huh?
Not sure what you're trying to say here?

Stupid people do stupid things everyday with cars, with drugs, with politics, with assult weapons and we could go on and on.
They still have not come and got my gun, They still have not taken away my car, They still let me drink until i kill myself and everyone around me.
really? There are no consequences for any of the above? Really? Where do you live?

And you guys think they are gonna take my toy!

No, Nobody has said such a thing.
What has been said is that irresponsible pilots who endanger others are going to result in restrictions on where we can fly, and perhaps even WHO can fly.
Try to be less reactive when reading, it might help your understanding.

Restrictions are made for irresponsible people in every single aspect of life and law

Also my point is there should be restrictions

Perhaps anyone who wants to fly something with a camera should have been registered and maybe even taken classes on being a responsible flyer pilot whatever

I say cut the chase and let's do it because the train has already started down the track and keeping one stupid mistake as a catalyst is really just a shortcut to analytical thinking

This what we love to do will be legislated and regulated regardless if there is one stupid mistake over time square or we sneek around and try to stay under the radar (no pun intended)

The main issue is that most of us have cameras on our thingies and that's what freaks everybody out
No one cares about the rc flying thingies that have been in the air for years and no complaints lol

A lot of the focus is simply misguided and it becomes easy to not analyze and blindly adopt the louder drum and it's clear that's what has happened but the thing to do is get out in front of it, and not belittle or put down those who buys a phantom and wants to simply have some fun without realizing what it actually means to be given the keys to the nations low level air space

Hence the obvious need for some level of federal regulation and then let the wacky congressmen of those wacky states be put on record lol and you all continue your blind votes

It's all so simple to me as I am in constant communication with my representatives voicing my opinion and haha I'd bet 90% of you don't even know who you rep is lol

Months ago I created a post here so you all could orient yourselves with your own local laws check it out

We can all be happy and at the same time create a whole new economic driver for many communities and I see this as an incredible opportunity as long as we stick together and not belittle someone for not being as perfect as you are

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl