Broken USB port on GoPro

Reaction score
The USB port on my GoPro 3 Silver broke and is now rattling around in my camera. Contacted GoPro and the best they could do is apologize and offer 20% off a new camera. This wasn't even crash related - I plugged the USB cable into the camera and felt it come loose. I've since opened it up to see if I could fix it. There are 4 *very* tiny solder joints holding that port on and nothing else. No glue, no epoxy - nothing. Be careful with the amount of pressure you put on that thing - it is not engineered to last.

Having no USB port puts a hamper on my FPV. Has anyone tried the 30 pin GoPro connector on a Zenmuse H3-3D?
c1b31c9d86e1cda6ba806cd53b20c28d.image.669x550.jpg

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2309

This looks like it will work except that it will stick out about 5mm on the back of the GoPro causing it to not sit flush against the back of the zenmuse.

Ebay. Look for the part. It probably won't be a $3 fix, but the parts are available. I pretty much rebuilt my entire gopro 3+ black with all new guts for less than a new one would have cost me after it took a dive in a pool. I think I got everything through "ragecams". The only real bad part for you is that I think the USB port section is actually attached to the main board and not an add-on board or module, so you might have to buy a whole new main board.

::EDIT::
I was right.
This is for the black edition board, but I imagine yours is going to be similar. Maybe get a hold of them and see what they can do for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GoPro-Hero3-Bla ... 5d511ec4e8

beeps, there's a huge thread about your topic here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22798
the info you want really starts about halfway through.

basically yes, for a Hero 3 on a H3-3D you can convert from the USB plug to the rear-port connector. There's even a specific part that hooks directly into the Zenmuse, you don't need that A/V cable like the one in your picture.

The problem is, that conversion does NOT support a Hero 4, which won't output video to a Zenmuse via the rear port. but if you have no plans to go to a hero 4 OR don't mind converting back to the USB connector when you do (which is what I did) then go for it.
just find the part with the rear connector and the H3-3D cable. it's in that thread somewhere, with pics and all sorts of useful info

Thanks, Green_Phantom. Yeah, the USB port has a very tiny ribbon cable type connection that would be nearly impossible to solder back to the board w/o some sort of specialized equipment. The ebay motherboards are running a couple hundred!

QYV, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I don't know how I missed that in my searching but I have some reading to do now.

Thanks again for your replies.

QYV said:
beeps, there's a huge thread about your topic here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=22798
the info you want really starts about halfway through.

basically yes, for a Hero 3 on a H3-3D you can convert from the USB plug to the rear-port connector. There's even a specific part that hooks directly into the Zenmuse, you don't need that A/V cable like the one in your picture.

The problem is, that conversion does NOT support a Hero 4, which won't output video to a Zenmuse via the rear port. but if you have no plans to go to a hero 4 OR don't mind converting back to the USB connector when you do (which is what I did) then go for it.
just find the part with the rear connector and the H3-3D cable. it's in that thread somewhere, with pics and all sorts of useful info

Here is that conversion.... I have the part, just waiting for the time to try the conversion. Correct on the GoPro 4 - in the infinite wisdom of GoPro they have purposely made this not work on the 4's because they are expected to partner/enter the market soon.

http://www.ifpv.co.uk/zenmuse-h3-3d-swa ... -hero-bus/

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl