Brand new to P3P

Reaction score
Hey - new to the forum and the P3P (so new that my wife won't let me open my Xmas present till... Xmas... ****!)

But lurking through here - I can't help but to be a little concerned about my wife spending the dough on my present when there's so many threads that start with "flyaway," "crash," "total loss," and my favorite "fell out of the sky." I almost want her to take it back for a refund.

Tried looking through the forum for the answer to this question but wanted to see of any qualified thoughts: Setting aside the possibility/likelihood of user error - how much of these issues are software related? Would not using DJI Go App be better - and instead use third party apps like what Autopilot (3.0?) or CoPilot have to offer?

I'd like to believe that DJI has some redundancies to prevent things like "flyaway" with a simple "hover and hold" (which I think they promote); or possible battery failure with "error detected = RTH"

Convince me not to have my wife return my Christmas present! Haha!

Read the manual through and through, know where the no-fly zones are practice in your backyard watch videos read threads and you'll be fine I've had my P3P for 5 1/2 months and not crashed once

But lurking through here - I can't help but to be a little concerned about my wife spending the dough on my present when there's so many threads that start with "flyaway," "crash," "total loss," and my favorite "fell out of the sky."

Tried looking through the forum for the answer to this question but wanted to see of any qualified thoughts: Setting aside the possibility/likelihood of user error - how much of these issues are software related? Would not using DJI Go App be better - and instead use third party apps like what Autopilot (3.0?) or CoPilot have to offer?
Welcome Leon ... it's easy to get the wrong idea concentrating on that sort of post.
A bit like reading the newspaper makes you believe that death and destruction is all around and it's not safe to go outside.
The forums are where people come to discuss problems but there's not much to discuss when you're just enjoying another safe flight just like the last few hundred before.
Probably >90% of problems are due to operator error or misunderstanding.
Flyaways are extremely rare with the P3 but that doesn't stop confused operators from thinking their Phantom flew away.
Out of the hundreds of thousands of P3s out there, the number of problems you see on the forums are an insignificant blip.

Take your time, read and understand the manual.
There's a lot to take in but the Phantom is much easier to fly than you imagine.
Do your early flying in a large open area well away from trees, buildings etc.
Study Return to Home in the manual and practice it including cancelling to resume control.
Stick to the DJI app to keep things simple while you're learning.
You'll have a blast.

I went flying today the same way I've been flying since the P3 was released and shot this.
If the problems were half as bad as you imagine, I wouldn't have been able to do this for the last 8 months.
104-133a-X2.jpg

My P3P arrives today and I had the same concerns. This forum has been great in regards to learning what possible issues could come up. I stumbled across this post in the dji forums that shows the top 10 pilot errors and it helped put my mind at ease.

DJI Forum|TOP 10 common pilot errors

I also downloaded the DJI app ahead of time. It contains all the user manuals and training videos, and I read/watched them all. As G.I. JOE said, "knowing is half the battle", lol.

Welcome Leon ... it's easy to get the wrong idea concentrating on that sort of post.
A bit like reading the newspaper makes you believe that death and destruction is all around and it's not safe to go outside.
The forums are where people come to discuss problems but there's not much to discuss when you're just enjoying another safe flight just like the last few hundred before.
Flyaways are extremely rare with the P3 but that doesn't stop confused operators from thinking their Phantom flew away.
Out of the hundreds of thousands of P3s out there, the number of problems you see on the forums are an insignificant blip.

There's a lot to take in but the Phantom is much easier to fly than you imagine.
Study Return to Home in the manual and practice it including cancelling to resume control.
You'll have a blast.

I went flying today the same way I've been flying since the P3 was released and shot this.
If the problems were half as bad as you imagine, I wouldn't have been able to do this for the last 8 months.
104-133a-X2.jpg

I agree with meta 4. Follow procedures and know your equipment.

Here's my recommendations:

1. Read and absorb all you have time for on this forum and Youtube.
2. Download the DJI Go app early. Watch the videos and read the manual.
3. I have not updated the firmware and have been flying it "right out of the box". Works great as is.
4. Charge the battery fully, then use the included simulator to familiarize yourself with the functions. It operates like the P3 does in flight. Practice with all the flight modes. Set your Failsafe RTH. Practice using the RTH function, and how to cancel it when necessary. Use a whole battery down to 50% on the simulator.
5. When the simulator becomes boring, you're ready for the maiden. Charge battery to 100%.
6. Have a game plan. Consider a short planned flight with easy objectives. (take off, gain altitude, head out, turn back, head home, land)
7. Cloudy, calm day would be best. Start in a large open area, free from obstructions. SET your Failsafe RTH to a minimum height higher than the surroundings. (I use 60 M ~ 200 feet as a safe minimum altitude. No trees higher than that around here.)
8. Calibrate your compass before the first take off.
9. ENSURE you have a GOOD GPS Home Lock (Safe to Fly GPS) before attempting to take off.
10. I'd use beginner mode if you have no experience. This will keep her close at first. P-GPS mode always (at first).
11. Use the Auto Takeoff. Be deliberate and plan your moves. Gain some altitude. Use small control movements until you are familiar with how she handles.
12. Remember to just let go of the sticks if in trouble. P3 will stop and hover in place. Calm yourself and make small control movements to get her out of that trouble.
13. Practice landing. One of the hardest, and most nerve wracking parts of the flight. It will auto land, but you need to know how to set it down when necessary.
14. Only using the battery down to 50% for the first few flights is recommended. Your nerves will be shot way before that in the beginning.
15. Recharge and repeat. Best practice is actually flying. Small improvements in distance and altitude each flight. Walk before you run. Practice the RTH function on subsequent flights. Practice how to cancel it.

Maybe your maiden (after compass calibration and GPS Home Lock) consists of:
Auto Take off to 4 ft.
Gain altitude to 20-30 feet
Fly straight ahead (slowly) to edge of beginner mode (100 feet)
Turn around and fly back to you, again slowly.
Land and stop motors (left stick down for 3 seconds)
Repeat. Should be able to get a good 10-12 minutes of flying before battery is 50%

That's my list for success, garnered from 30 years of RC experience, 20 years of helicopter flying. Hope it's a help to you and yours. Others may add that have way more knowledge than me.

SD

Just remember ... the majority of the post are coming from those that are having or had an issue. Also, a few are coming from users that crashed them and are looking for someone else to blame.

I have had no issues or crashes so far in over 6 months (knock on wood) but I know there is a possibility it could crash every time I fly and I'm ok with that. I've said it before, if you can't afford to crash it, don't fly it.

Here is my 2 cents --- start slow, follow directions, stay away from trees and people, be safe and have fun.

3. I have not updated the firmware and have been flying it "right out of the box". Works great as is.
4. Charge the battery fully, then use the included simulator to familiarize yourself with the functions. It operates like the P3 does in flight. Practice with all the flight modes. Set your Failsafe RTH. Practice using the RTH function, and how to cancel it when necessary. Use a whole battery down to 50% on the simulator.
5. When the simulator becomes boring, you're ready for the maiden. Charge battery to 100%.
6. Have a game plan. Consider a short planned flight with easy objectives. (take off, gain altitude, head out, turn back, head home, land)
7. Cloudy, calm day would be best. Start in a large open area, free from obstructions. SET your Failsafe RTH to a minimum height higher than the surroundings. (I use 60 M ~ 200 feet as a safe minimum altitude. No trees higher than that around here.)
9. ENSURE you have a GOOD GPS Home Lock (Safe to Fly GPS) before attempting to take off.
10. I'd use beginner mode if you have no experience. This will keep her close at first. P-GPS mode always (at first).
11. Use the Auto Takeoff. Be deliberate and plan your moves. Gain some altitude. Use small control movements until you are familiar with how she handles.
12. Remember to just let go of the sticks if in trouble. P3 will stop and hover in place. Calm yourself and make small control movements to get her out of that trouble.
13. Practice landing. One of the hardest, and most nerve wracking parts of the flight. It will auto land, but you need to know how to set it down when necessary.
14. Only using the battery down to 50% for the first few flights is recommended. Your nerves will be shot way before that in the beginning.
15. Recharge and repeat. Best practice is actually flying. Small improvements in distance and altitude each flight. Walk before you run. Practice the RTH function on subsequent flights. Practice how to cancel it.

Auto Take off to 4 ft.
Repeat. Should be able to get a good 10-12 minutes of flying before battery is 50%

That's my list for success, garnered from 30 years of RC experience, 20 years of helicopter flying. Hope it's a help to you and yours. Others may add that have way more knowledge than me.

SD
Outstanding advice, SD!

Overall, take is slow and learn from every experience. The Phantom 3 is an incredible piece of technology. Everytime it goes up, I am amazed. Regardless of what you read in this and other forums, it is good knowledge and take all of it for what it is worth.

After all, shots like these are hard to come by at ground level. Enjoy!

DJI_0035.JPG

Can't agree more with the replies on here. I did so much research before I got mine that I thought to myself that if all these problems happened to me I'd be damned unlucky, BUT so far so good and I haven't had as much fun since I was a young 'un and I'm 52 now. Go for it.

You'll have a blast.

104-133a-X2.jpg

The thought of good news is not news for papers and TV did cross my mind too - hopefully it is the case.

Will definitely read up and gain some confidence back.

Almost Christmas!

Wonderful picture btw!

Auto Take off to 4 ft.

SD

Great stuff Solar D - Will put this practice flow to good use soon!

Good replies here - Thanks all! Nice to see that there are at least some success stories out there!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl