Brand new and scared

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom for Christmas. I downloaded Nazi Software and upgraded Phantom. I used the WIN8 upgrade thinking that was for Windows 8. It seemed to work. Installed GoPro White with waterproof casing. Calibrate compass and I should be ready to go. Any other suggestions?

Yes-have fun! I suggest keeping the Phantom at close range and modest altitude and learn the movements. Do slight stick movements to get the feel of the response. Also be sure to set "motor shut off in the assistance software to "intelligent". A lot of newer pilots descend to fast (lower than 10%) throttle and shut the motors off while in flight. Take it slow, learn and enjoy.

I am new user as well -- first flight on Christmas day.
Be sure that the green lights are flashing which confirms GPS is synced and the unit knows where home is.
Do not forget to calibrate the compass.
bring the control sticks down and in to start the motors.
move the left stick up slowly to take off.
go straight up 10 feet or so.
Then practice slowly movements left, right, forward, and backward.
then move forward 10 feet and repeat your movements.
Do not try to fly in the wind.
Keep the back of the unit (battery) facing you so that the movement is the same as the joystick.
Also ... I found that my unit needs to calibrate the compass before each flight.
When I tried to practice touch and goes, it would flip over each time I tried to take off after a landing without calibration first.

Another Newbie here also. Looked at it for three days because I was scared to fly it, not wanting to tear it up. Has a bad experience with a new helicopter a few years ago and basically just wasted a bunch of money.

I just flew it about two hours ago after going out a buying some prop guards for it. I was absolutely shocked how easy it was. I flew it, my 14yoa son flew it and my wife flew it. All did several takeoffs and landings with no problem. I am now frustrated that I waited three days.

The only thing I differ with tpocock is the takeoff. I get it off the ground as fast as I can up to about 6-10 feet to get out of the rotor wash. Very controversial in some forums threads, but worked really well for me.

I hope your first flights go as well as mine did. :D

tpocock said:
Be sure that the green lights are flashing which confirms GPS is synced and the unit knows where home is.
Keep the back of the unit (battery) facing you so that the movement is the same as the joystick.
Also ... I found that my unit needs to calibrate the compass before each flight.
When I tried to practice touch and goes, it would flip over each time I tried to take off after a landing without calibration first.

I thought battery cover was FRONT!

Not to put off the OP but like him i was anxious at my initial first flight. I did all it said in the Quick Start Guide and followed the steps 1-6 to the letter. Got the motors turning at Step 7 , revved it up...let off rev...pushed sticks into corners to stop the motors where it promptly flipped onto its back and tried to dig its way into a concrete yard. At this point nothing was stopping the blade carnage so i switched off the controller. Big mistake. Luckily i had a chair which i set on top of this whirling,scary machine to limit its wriggle room and reached in and switched off the battery. Not a good start. Down a set of standard blades but could have been worse.
The photo on the QSG clearly shows the sticks being being pushed to the inside of the corners, 5 o`clock l/h side and 7 o`clock r/h side but this caused mayhem on my Phantom 2. After changing the blades i tried it again only this time i started the motors on the outside bottom corners then when finished throttled back to 6 o`clock and stayed there and the motors stopped by themselves. The thing flies like a dream and a child could fly it which makes the original "glitch"/ "schoolboy error" so shocking.

Good luck fella.

kellypics said:
I just got my Phantom for Christmas. I downloaded Nazi Software and upgraded Phantom. I used the WIN8 upgrade thinking that was for Windows 8. It seemed to work. Installed GoPro White with waterproof casing. Calibrate compass and I should be ready to go. Any other suggestions?

Prop guards.
GoPro waterproof casing? Don'y really need. Go naked GoPro w/ stock Phantom case. Just be careful.
Install "failsafe mode" in case Phantom goes beyond eyesight.

Memorize what these lights mean. (about half way down).

:arrow: http://www.helipal.com/dji-phantom-gps-drone-rtf.html

print or download to your phone when away flying.

len750 said:
tpocock said:

Battery cover is "front" on the original Phantom but "back" on the Vision and P2.

len750 said:
OI Photography said:
len750 said:

On the P2/P2V, the battery comes out the back end. Battery LED = Aircraft LED.

Oops. I have the original. Sorry.

No worries, that confused me too the first couple of weeks they were out...I'd just assumed the battery end was the front like before.

kellypics said:

I love autocorrect! :-D

Had a great time for first flight. Exhausted 2 batteries on 2 flights. I really appreciate the support on this forum. I learned to set GoPro to upside down the hard way. Still nervous as I still do not understand settings like "Fail Safe". How do you install Fail Safe? What exactly does fail safe do? I am sure these questions are answered numerous times but learning it all is overwhelming.

kellypics said:
Had a great time for first flight. Exhausted 2 batteries on 2 flights. I really appreciate the support on this forum. I learned to set GoPro to upside down the hard way. Still nervous as I still do not understand settings like "Fail Safe". How do you install Fail Safe? What exactly does fail safe do? I am sure these questions are answered numerous times but learning it all is overwhelming.
You don't need to do anything to initiate failsafe mode. If for some reason, the aircraft flies out of radio range or otherwise looses contact with the remote control, it will automatically go into failsafe mode and begin a "Return to Home" flight. Providing that you allowed the aircraft to acquire enough GPS satellites before you took off (rear green lights flashing), it will return to the takeoff spot automatically (within a few feet). This is a great feature that will help you to protect your investment in an emergency.

len750 said:
tpocock said:

It is;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl