Boscam LCD5802 Monitor Observations

My wife is going to kill me... I just ordered the Heliaxial58 from circular wireless (Same antenna you're using). Hell if I can get range numbers like you observed in your last flight, I'm golden!

Edit: I hope I didn't get ripped off. Here's the antenna I just bought off of ebay http://r.ebay.com/crcMdD It looks like the base is plastic and not metal... FML.

After watching the Youtube video, I was impressed with the quality of the Circular Wireless antenna. Others have said it performs real well. Knowing a little bit about electronics and communication frequencies (enought to be dangerous), I opted to step up to the pay window and get it. Everyone sells it for about the same price (within about $5.00). Terrible expensive, but that's the way it is with big boys toys. For me it has turned out to be almost the panacea for some of the negative issues I was experiencing with this FPV setup.

So far, now anyway, I don't see any issues with using the AVL58 TX, other than the power usage of 575MW, which is a drain on the P2 batteries, shortening flight time (by how much?). I may disconnect it and do a flight time test. I'm getting 17 minutes now with the current add ons (Z2 gimbel, 3+ camera, AVL58 TX, DJI Cloverleaf antenna, DJI iOSD Mini).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt1S3ckeVWA

chad556 said:
My wife is going to kill me... I just ordered the Heliaxial58 from circular wireless (Same antenna you're using). Hell if I can get range numbers like you observed in your last flight, I'm golden!

Edit: I hope I didn't get ripped off. Here's the antenna I just bought off of ebay http://r.ebay.com/crcMdD It looks like the base is plastic and not metal... FML.

That's the correct one. You did it right. It's a metal base for the ground plane. That's where I got mine.

A point to keep in mind when using the mix of antennae as shown here (I have a similar arrangement)

The skew planar, or clover leaf is effective in the short range- that is what should be doing most of the work until you reach about 100m. Once the distance is beyond that, the helical picks up duty, and it is directional- so if you are starting to loose video, try to aim the helical in the general direction of the vtx.

That last smaller helical shown is designed to be mounted on goggles- but it will work fine.

I'll be Damned! I did what Gary suggested and tuned my AVL58 to Channel C-1 on the LCD5802, and put my helical on the Ant A, and the CL on Ant B. Guess what? I'm now able to go to nearly 1.5k with a solid image! Maybe it was abad channel match-up before on C-8. Thanks Gary! Now...what to do with that RX-AVL58 and helical I bought yesterday? Perhaps a 2nd ground station is in order!

BY the way, today I did a flight that lasted 18 minutes until my battery hit 22%. Im using the iosd Mini, Zenmuse 2d, AVL58, and P2.

chad556 said:
I'll be Damned! I did what Gary suggested and tuned my AVL58 to Channel C-1 on the LCD5802, and put my helical on the Ant A, and the CL on Ant B. Guess what? I'm now able to go to nearly 1.5k with a solid image! Maybe it was abad channel match-up before on C-8. Thanks Gary! Now...what to do with that RX-AVL58 and helical I bought yesterday? Perhaps a 2nd ground station is in order!

BY the way, today I did a flight that lasted 18 minutes until my battery hit 22%. Im using the iosd Mini, Zenmuse 2d, AVL58, and P2.

OK.. let me understand this. You have the AVL58 on channel 8 and manually tuned the boscam 5802 to channel C-1? how do you manually tune...

I have an identical setup except I changed out the stock antennas for Boscam 5.8G "Cloud Spirit" and got an immediate improvement. All the static lines and interference disappeared. What was a difficult image to view originally became nearly equivalent to the image stored on the data card.

OK.. let me understand this. You have the AVL58 on channel 8 and manually tuned the boscam 5802 to channel C-1? how do you manually tune...

I did not manually tune the monitor to C-1. I utilized auto search, and that channel is where the monitor locked on to the AVL58 TX channel 8.

I manually tuned to c-1 by pressing the channel button on the monitor. I then cycled through the avl58 channels by pressing the button on the bottom of the transmitted until a image appeared on the monitor.

chad556 said:
I manually tuned to c-1 by pressing the channel button on the monitor. I then cycled through the avl58 channels by pressing the button on the bottom of the transmitted until a image appeared on the monitor.

What AVL58 channel did you end up on for the good signal with the monitor C-1?

Gary E said:
chad556 said:

What AVL58 channel did you end up on for the good signal with the monitor C-1?

I have no idea what channel it is on the avl58 to be honest with you. Since the avl58 only has 8, I just pressed the button until a good clear signal came through. It only took a minute being as all of the avl58 channels are on the C group within the 5802

chad556 said:
I have no idea what channel it is on the avl58 to be honest with you. Since the avl58 only has 8, I just pressed the button until a good clear signal came through. It only took a minute being as all of the avl58 channels are on the C group within the 5802

The number of yellow and green flashing lights on the AVL58 LED indicator port will show what channel it is. Count those and we will know what channel it is on.

I am happy to report that since ordering the Circular Wireless 5.8ghz FPV Antenna - Helical along with a clover leaf, on AVL channel 8 and 5802 Channel c-1, my range and image issues are GONE! YAY! I did notice (placebo perhaps) that placing the helical on "antenna A" and the CL on "Antenna B" did make a difference. I am now able to get a clear image at over 800 meters in any direction despite obstacles blocking line of sight. The biggest game changer for me was using Channel c-1 on the LCD5802 though. All other channels crap out at less than 50m for me. Thanks to all of you for your support!

Very good. I too have great reception image and quality with those RX antennas. With that, we may be done with the major issues of this thread.

Gary E said:
Very good. I too have great reception image and quality with those RX antennas. With that, we may be done with the major issues of this thread.
Hello, i also have interference from my stock Phantom TX, i tried to move the monitor on the holder but no luck. :cry: Did you solve the problem? With a controller off i have an excellent image.. Did i udnerstand right that choosing channel 7 on the vtx will solve everything? Do i have to set something on my monitor?
Here is the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCmrS6J4XsQ
Thanks

chad556 said:
Tune the Boscam monitor to c-¹. Then on the vtx scroll through the channels until it appears on the monitor c1.
The monitor was set to C1 even before,C1 corresponds channel 1 on the vtx. I don't actually udnerstand what you mean now.. If i change the channels on the vtx i guess i won't find the image somewhere else except channel 1. Thanks

As posted previously, best reception was on the AVL58 VTX channel 8 and RX5802 monitor channel C-1. And also use the Circular Wireless antenna, mine being on Receiver A.

Forgot to add that im using a Boscam TS353 vtx.. Are you using diversity? What antenna do you have on receiver B? Thanks
I still don't udnerstand how i can get image if i have ch 1 set on the monitor while vtx has channel 8 for example? is that possible?

Yes, it's possible because that's what I have mine on for the best reception. I can't help you since you have a different VTX. You have to try all 8 channels on the VTX to find the best reception. Same on the monitor, all 32 channels. That's a lot of combination possibilities.

Antenna B on the monitor is a DJI Cloverleaf like the matching cloverleaf on the DJI AVL58 TX on the Phantom 2. I always use diversity. That was one of the main reasons I got the RX5802.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl