Biggest Battery Fit in Phantom 1 with Door Removed?

Reaction score
Hi, as title, whats the largest / best battery you can fit inside the phantom, with either a big battery door mod, or the battery door completely removed?

Don't really want to start carving out the insides of the phantom or adding dual battery trays etc, but don't mind replacing the door with a larger one or removing it completely....

Seen a few videos on youtube saying zippy 2800's are good?

Anybody any thoughts?

Cheers,

My foggy memory of the battery door is that the hw dimensions are 29mm x 36mm. So you should be able to cram a battery that's >105mm long, 28.x mm high and 35.x mm wide, into a doorless Phantom.

You can fit a taller battery if you cut away the protrusion in the upper right corner. This gives about 35 mm. of height to the opening. The only reason it's there is to allow enough room for the connector to lay on top of the battery. The door tab still latches and holds the door closed.

There is plenty of room inside the Phantom for the connector at one side of the battery. The only caveat is that you have to get the connector in first by either making sure that the battery lead is slightly longer than the battery or inserting the battery connector end first.

Attachments

• DSC01594.JPG
    DSC01594.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 773
joeflyer said:
You can fit a taller battery if you cut away the protrusion in the upper left corner. This gives about 35 mm. of height to the opening. The only reason it's there is to allow enough room for the connector to lay on top of the battery. The door tab still latches and holds the door closed.

There is plenty of room inside the Phantom for the connector at one side of the battery. The only caveat is that you have to get the connector in first by either making sure that the battery lead is slightly longer than the battery or inserting the battery connector end first.

Thanks but really don't want to cut away anything, would rather be able to put everything back together again and it be a normal phantom again.

There are a number of 2700 mah. batteries that fit. Also some use a 2800 mah. but it's a tight fit and I'd be concerned about getting it out if it swells any with use. You can find reference to these batteries in many of the threads.

joeflyer said:
There are a number of 2700 mah. batteries that fit. Also some use a 2800 mah. but it's a tight fit and I'd be concerned about getting it out if it swells any with use. You can find reference to these batteries in many of the threads.

yeah, i've seen a number of people using (turnigy? i think) 2700s and the zippy 2800s looks fine too with a big battery door or door removed, was just looking to see what people on here have tried and tested

Aren't the Mad Dog 2700's the exact same size as stock? So >20% more flight time for the same size battery. I don't have one yet but am planning to get one.

Mike

mikeydaddio said:
Aren't the Mad Dog 2700's the exact same size as stock? So >20% more flight time for the same size battery. I don't have one yet but am planning to get one.

Mike
Mad Dogs are same length but a little thicker than stock.

mikeydaddio said:

Mike

i have tried and failed to find any UK supplier of those batteries, the US ones are wanting crazy shipping, $90+ to UK for one or a couple of batteries.

Can't bring myself to pay that, shame cos they look like really good batteries....

The more I try to get an extra couple of minutes flight time from my month old phantom 1 and that is before i fit my cheap (heavy) chinese gimbal, an iosd mini, v2 pmu etc.... the more i think i should have spent the extra couple of hundred or whatever it is and got the phantom 2 with zenmuse gimbal :(

I can show you exactly what it takes to get a P1 to match or beat P2 in flight time, and it's not a pretty story :) if you want 15+ minute flight times with zero effort, the P2 is really hard to beat. If you want a few minutes more out of your p1, a 2700-2800 with dimensions of around 103*35*28mm, plus P2 9" props, are the easiest way to go.

ElGuano said:
I can show you exactly what it takes to get a P1 to match or beat P2 in flight time, and it's not a pretty story :) if you want 15+ minute flight times with zero effort, the P2 is really hard to beat. If you want a few minutes more out of your p1, a 2700-2800 with dimensions of around 103*35*28mm, plus P2 9" props, are the easiest way to go.

Lol thanks, that's exactly what i thought (feared). I'm already getting around 7 mins without my gimbal and iosd mini and v2 pmu, so ill be lucky to get 5 mins with all that gear, and i doubt it'll fly the best too.... mine already flys a bit heavy with the gopro in it's waterproof case and just the fpv gear, it doesn't struggle or anything, just not as agile as it should be..

I really should have done a bit more researching before jumping in and buying, but tbh that's a lesson i'll never learn, i'm a very impatient person :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan