Bethany Beach Drone Restriction

You'll see this type of "garbage" more and more. The funny thing is IF you were to fall victim to this "stunt" and you had the $$$$ to fight it you would probably be able to win simply because the FAA and only the FAA can control airspace and flight. As soon as the aircraft leaves terra firma the city has zero authority over it.

That won't stop them from trying but the odds are you could win this type of case if you were so inclined. This is NOT legal advice and if you want to attempt this you should seek trained legal counsel with a background in Aviation and UAS operations.

Reactions: jogforfitness
Here is the part of the law that actually negates itself entirely:

"The Bethany ordinance does not prohibit use by those authorized by the FAA to operate in national airspace from operating in the town, nor would it prohibit any legal use by law-enforcement or government."

I'd argue that anyone who abides by the FAA registration requirement is "authorized" to fly in the FAA's airspace.

These people who make these local rules are boneheads, pure and simple.

As noted.... these people can't make this rule anyway.

Umm, actually they can make this rule. They stated that you can not take off from public land, if you own it you can but Bethany is a mostly tourist town with 2nd home owners. After summertime its mostly dead, just like Dewey, Fenwick & to an extent Rehoboth.
I'm gonna stop in this fall, after the tourons leave & see what happens. Especially after I get my pilots license & the new UAV cert or whatever the FAA comes up with.
Somehow I think I know who that idiot was that flew during the ball drop, & it doesn't surprise me, he's probably selling picture cards & prints at the local farmers markets. I stop in them quite often during the summer when visiting family.

Umm, actually they can make this rule. They stated that you can not take off from public land, if you own it you can but Bethany is a mostly tourist town with 2nd home owners. After summertime its mostly dead, just like Dewey, Fenwick & to an extent Rehoboth.
I'm gonna stop in this fall, after the tourons leave & see what happens. Especially after I get my pilots license & the new UAV cert or whatever the FAA comes up with.
Somehow I think I know who that idiot was that flew during the ball drop, & it doesn't surprise me, he's probably selling picture cards & prints at the local farmers markets. I stop in them quite often during the summer when visiting family.
What if you take off from your hand? Is that still considering taking off from their land?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

What if you take off from your hand? Is that still considering taking off from their land?

Yes, where are your feet or body touching.

It's not worth splitting hairs.

A number of years ago the bird watchers got kites banned at the point in Stone Harbor NJ. The Piping Plover birds were all the concern, and yet, for years, there was no issue.

Problem solved, we all took our vacation money and went to Cape May. Nearly shutting down the local kite shop and a good number of folks that suggest anywhere but Stone Harbor for a family vacation. Does it hurt the town? Not as much as one would like but, people do ask what happened to the thriving business and events that moved to Cape May.

Take your money and vote with your wallet.

Formstone, while that may be true in some cases, this idiot town banning drones from taking off from public or other individually owned land will not be affected like that. Too many other beach towns to go to, places like Dewey Beach, Fenwick Island, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Slaughter Beach, & even better Ocean City MD.
Personally I prefer OC MD, & Rehoboth, their boardwalks are nice & if you do it early enough in the morning not too many tourists to bug you. Or in off season, even though every year it gets shorter. (shrugs)

I'll personally only get concerned if more of the towns pass it, which may happen if a couple of these idiots insist on flying by the water towers & near the Indian River bridge without permission.

edited for spelling mistake.

Formstone, while that may be true in some cases, this idiot town banning drones from taking off from public or other individually owned land will not be affected like that. Too many other beach towns to go to, places like Dewey Beach, Fenwick Island, Rehoboth Beach, Lewes, Slaughter Beach, & even better Ocean City MD.
Personally I prefer OC MD, & Rehoboth, their boardwalks are nice & if you do it early enough in the morning not too many tourists to bug you. Or in off season, even though every year it gets shorter. (shrugs)

I'll personally only get concerned if more of the towns pass it, which may happen if a couple of these idiots insist on flying by the water towers & near the Indian River bridge without permission.

edited for spelling mistake.

DroneDog, do you have a specific recommended time of day and location in Rehoboth where it's legal and fun to fly? Or, Fenwick, Lewes? I'm not from the area but will be visiting in late July.

Last edited:
It all depends on what type of shots you are looking for, just please don't fly in Cape Henlopen state park as that's banned. Common sense obviously applies. :)

Lewes beach or Rehoboth beach shots if you want the beachy shot, as early in the morning before the crowds build up & the banner planes get up. Rehoboth boardwalk is nice, you can either do low level shots facing the shops or do higher level say looking from the north end south (North end is what I consider near Henlopen Motel) since you will get more shops & the Kite place (if its still down somewhere around Victorias, been awhile) then if you go down south towards Poodle Beach area & shoot northwards.

Now obviously I do not recommend standing by the bandstand on Rehoboth Ave & taking drone shots unless its at say 5am or so when the sun is first rising & even then I'd be cautious.

Hmm, Fenwick.. same thing for mostly beachy shots. Otherwise offhand I don't know. Oh yeah, Rt 1 between Dewey & Fenwick is Seashore State Park, includes Indian River Bridge & campgrounds/launching area/fishing area so no fly applies as its state park area.
I'm not going to debate if you should try or not try to fly in state park areas, just be aware that at this time of year that there are many more park rangers about & they are aware of the park rules, some are even a bit "ticket happy" at times. :rolleyes:

To my current knowledge with families input, Bethany is the only place as far as townships go to ban drones being launched from "public" areas, obviously I would recommend against zooming the water towers or the military training area down near Bethany, just like you wouldn't zoom around Dover AF base. :p

North Shores might have some nice shots, nothing amazing like monuments or church towers, just be aware they can be "snooty". Hmm, so aerial shots (low shots) of places like Funland in the evening might be nice. I've taken ground based photos of the rides with my dslr for the motion & color shots.

Oh yeah, end of July is state fair time up in Harrington, not sure what their rules & regs on drones are though. You might be able to stand on one of the backroads or in Chicks parking lot after closing & get some aerial pics of rides if you don't zoom the fairs land or try to shoot shots of the performers that will be there this year.

Obviously, YMMV, my thought always is as a visitor if I'm asked politely by John Q Public, or at anytime by Mr/Ms Police/Trooper or "official" I pack up, try to talk to them politely & leave if so asked. Why? I am the visitor & don't want to ruin anything for the locals by "demanding my rights". Again, YMMV & you may be of a different opinion. ;) :D

Good luck to you JogForFitness, hope you get some awesome shots & an enjoyable vacation. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl