Best player for 4k 60hz on computer

Reaction score
Hi,

After some experimentation under linux I found the best player for 4k is ffplay from ffmpeg.
The playback is smooth, even for fast panning scenes.
Next one is the standard player: Videos from Ubuntu. some stuttering can be observed but is acceptable.
Mplayer comes next.
VLC cannot handle thees videos.

PC: Dual Xeon 2640 V4 total 20 cores 40 threads.
Nvidia 1080 TI
SSD as harddrive.

Just had this same issue on Arch Linux. Thanks for your ffmpeg suggestion, for those who find this, the command is `ffplay <filename>` on Linux. Flawless playback, no stuttering! Even was able to chromecast it!

See this Ask Ubuntu for more detail on `ffplay` >> How to play video using FFmpeg on Ubuntu?

4K 60Hz? Do you mean 4K 60FPS? On Windows 10 I have found the best player to be the Windows own media player. Up until Windows 10 I used VLC but with Windows 10 I found that VLC had problems playing some of the media files straight out of the camera from the P4P and my other cameras. Surprisingly the built in player did not have these problems. After post processing and rendering the completed project to it's delivery frame rate of 23FPS or 30FPS, any player would play the footage with no problem. Typically the problem is not the frame rate as much as it is the data rate. The higher the data rate, the more problems media players have.

Reactions: Sixgun89
Hi,

After some experimentation under linux I found the best player for 4k is ffplay from ffmpeg.
The playback is smooth, even for fast panning scenes.
Next one is the standard player: Videos from Ubuntu. some stuttering can be observed but is acceptable.
Mplayer comes next.
VLC cannot handle thees videos.

PC: Dual Xeon 2640 V4 total 20 cores 40 threads.
Nvidia 1080 TI
SSD as harddrive.

IT MAY SEEM A BIT RADICAL: Works on both the Windows and Mac

I would use an Editing Software program that we use to make all are Movies called DaVinci Resolve.

Hear me out: Its free editing software that now rivals both Adobe Preimere and Final Cut X Pro but its free.

So how can you use this software to view your movies quickly , just open up the movies in DaVinci Resolve and play them on the full screen, if they dont play smooth click on play at half res or quarter and watch them play out.

Works so well, saves a lot of time and frustration watching your movies and its an amazing very intutiive editor that someone put a of time and effort in to works its magic.

Learning curve : 5 mintues to get a handle on playing movies

Phantomrain.org
Flying in and out of the storm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94