Best location to place Strobon strobes to P4 Pro?

I have 4 Strobon stobes on my P3S.
1 - Red Front Left on outside of arm
1 - Green Front Right on outside of arm
2 - White Left & Right Rear on bottom of arm
I originally had the front ones on the bottom of the arm but they interfered with the video. Having them on the side is no issue.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Interesting find. be sure to post back

Tested these out at dusk yesterday and it worked perfectly. The white strobes went on each rear leg pointed out at a 45 degree angle and the red strobes were on the front, but pointed to the sides with just a slight 5-10 degree turn to the front.

The strobes were visible from all possible angles unless someone were MAYBE looking straight down on it, in which case they would have had to have teleported into that position because GETTING there would have meant they would have seen the strobes en route.

As for an aid to the pilot, the plan worked perfectly. The only time I could see JUST red and BOTH lights, the craft was within 10 degrees of being aimed at the pilot position. I did not take it very far out, probably just a quarter mile or so, but it was very easy to gain a good orientation by keying on the red strobes being at the front. Additionally, because the red strobes point out almost directly to the sides (but not quite), no direct strobe illumination hits the camera, I shot a little video while testing the lights and there was no sign of anything on the video. In haze... well, I should not be UP in haze... should I... but, IF I was to fly in some haze then I guess the atmosphere would be blinking with the strobes.

I will try to get some photos or video if this in the days ahead.

The Strobons lights will burn a hole in your retina. :eek:

Hopefully that means daytime viewing will be good. In the next day or two I'll find out. But if not, I have strobes for my Part 107 Daylight Ops Waiver :cool:

I found the cable holders like @Jim Roof used, at Best Buy. Thanks again for posting that. I could probably repackage these things and double my money as purpose built Strobon holders. :D

A little 3M Dual Lock (velcro on steroids) and it is the perfect mount. Red front left, green front right, and dual Cree white in the rear. Just like a full scale aircraft
20170418_203653.jpg 20170418_210548.jpg 20170418_210650.jpg 20170418_213105.jpg

OK, here are two rough and unedited videos that describe how I mounted the strobes and why I put them where I did...

First, how they mount...

Second, how they read when flying...

Are you getting any 'flash-back' in video or stills with the lights mounted that low?

I just received my Strobon strobes from Flytron and I am trying to decide the best way to afix them to my P4 Pro.

I want to be able to determine orientation, so I got 4 units - 2 white and 2 red.

I am interested in what others have done to mount these to their drones. They will need to be removable so, for now, I am thinking velcro. The real question is... WHERE?

Ideas? Photos?

Thanks
I just use green an den white ,,I find they very visible,,to hard to see red at distance,,can't even see drone front red lights at 800ft,,,yes I know 400ft limit,,hills where I am I lucky,,,got v2 strobon white on front and super bright green on back which aims down,,runs off 3.7 volt lipo battery..1493669942922-1637937783.jpg 1493670016747-2129495754.jpg 1493670102365763897134.jpgcan see these 2km easy:)

I just use green an den white ,,I find they very visible,,to hard to see red at distance,,can't even see drone front red lights at 800ft,,,yes I know 400ft limit,,hills where I am I lucky,,,got v2 strobon white on front and super bright green on back which aims down,,runs off 3.7 volt lipo battery..View attachment 81439 View attachment 81440 View attachment 81441can see these 2km easy:)

It sounds as if you are using the strobes in an effort for YOU to see the quad better. I wanted to mount mine so that any air traffic could see it, as well as me.

I have tested this arrangement out a bit more and it is working very well. The only position at which the drone cannot be see is absolutely directly overhead. One more unit stuck on the top would fix that, but I think what I have now satisfies FAA requirements for dusk/dawn flight.

Are you getting any 'flash-back' in video or stills with the lights mounted that low?

The red strobes on the front are aimed ALMOST completely sideways. None of the strobes are visible from the camera position so there is no risk of flare. The only possible risk would be some atmospheric illumination if there was light smoke or atmospheric haze. I did a test at night where I shot an intersection about 25 minutes after sunset. Looked perfect.

But if not, I have strobes for my Part 107 Daylight Ops Waiver

It is my understanding that you need a waiver ONLY if you intend to fly more than 30 minutes after sunset or before 30 minutes prior to sunrise. The Part 107 Regulations allow for twilight shooting as long as you have the strobes in place and they can be seen from 3 miles.

The waiver is for true night flying. Again, that is my understanding. It is based upon one of the questions that is on the Part 107 exam in which the correct answer states you need to have 3 mile visibility lighting to fly dusk or dawn assignments. If the answer had been you need a waiver... then that would have been the right answer.

Of course, others have pointed out that the FAA has a real penchant for presenting their rules and regulations with +BR...

Last edited:
I highly recommend a white one on the top. Works out really well. I'm three flights in not having recharged them just to see how they do and they're still going strong!

It sounds as if you are using the strobes in an effort for YOU to see the quad better. I wanted to mount mine so that any air traffic could see it, as well as me.

I have tested this arrangement out a bit more and it is working very well. The only position at which the drone cannot be see is absolutely directly overhead. One more unit stuck on the top would fix that, but I think what I have now satisfies FAA requirements for dusk/dawn flight.
HI Yip I thought about one on top,,,still fly with tablet but yes also like to see where it is...:)

It is my understanding that you need a waiver ONLY if you intend to fly more than 30 minutes after sunset or before 30 minutes prior to sunrise. The Part 107 Regulations allow for twilight shooting as long as you have the strobes in place and they can be seen from 3 miles.

The waiver is for true night flying. Again, that is my understanding. It is based upon one of the questions that is on the Part 107 exam in which the correct answer states you need to have 3 mile visibility lighting to fly dusk or dawn assignments. If the answer had been you need a waiver... then that would have been the right answer.

Of course, others have pointed out that the FAA has a real penchant for presenting their rules and regulations with +BR...

I want a waiver to fly in the dark of moonless midnight. That is called a Daylight Operations Waiver, as you are requesting a waiver, to the rule, that says you can only fly in daylight. Daylight defined as the hours between, and including, civil twilight as you have described above. Part 107 is prescriptive. Therefore rules for nighttime operations are not defined in Part 107, as they are prohibited. But every approved waiver request that I have reviewed, included a reference to the same lighting requirements for twilight flights. It only makes sense, that the FAA would want you lighted in the dark-dark, like they want you lighted in the twilight-dark.

From the FAA page to request the waiver here Request a Waiver/Airspace Authorization – Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS)

This is the terminology

upload_2017-5-1_16-47-31.png

I found something today while shopping at MicroCenter. There are some little rubber cable organizers that are about an inch wide and circular. They are flat on the back but have a slot that wires can go through that is narrow at the opening but wider in the middle. Hard to explain, but here is a link...

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

These WILL fit on the legs of the P4Pro. They are snug to be sure, but they will fit and nothing in flight will make them let go short of an outright crash. I am going to give this a try. Will use two white Strobon units on the rear, facing outwards at 45 degree angles and two reds on the front, facing more like 75 degrees outwards. This way, when the bird is facing me I will see BOTH red strobes. Everyone else will either see both whites or a combination or red and white. Only the front view will show two reds, with about a 7-10 degree window in which both red strobes will be visible. I am using velcro to attach the units to the cable organizers.

Will post photos after I test this out.
I have seen what you posted and actually are using them to help me with my wire mess. I don't understand how they relate to the strobes.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor