Before I buy question

Reaction score
I've been researching for a bit and planed on getting into the hobby.

Then I came across the before u fly app and started looking at where I could fly here in Florida where I live in Cape Coral.

Because of all the wilderness around where I live along with loving the open water on our sailboat I thought the drone would be a lot of fun along with some great photography.

Again then I came across the app before you fly.

I honestly can't see where there is anywhere to fly that isn't within 5 miles of a helipad. They are unmanned used for search and rescue or one or two on a hospital.

Is it even worth trying to get into the hobby now? I'm very bummed there is an re park 10 miles from my home I could go fly but honestly if that's my new option I think I'd get bored pretty quick.

Anyway I'm not crying about it all but I'm not wanting to get into something that I won't be able to enjoy. Once I'm into something I go all in and would rather not get attached in the first place. That and I really don't feel like having tickets or jail time shoved at me for a hobby.

Sorry for the long first post this site seemed to be the go to place and I ver much appreciate any insight.

Hey Allen, welcome to the forum!

It's an awesome hobby! I hope you get in and enjoy it.

A lot of people here have had similar concerns. There is no black and white unfortunately... there are some laws, some guidelines, some variables, some restrictions... and they will continue to evolve. It's up to you to wade through that and come up with what makes most sense for you while staying safe and legal.

Me, I took all that into consideration but realized if I let that dissuade me that it would scare me off, so I jumped in (and I'm like you, once in, I'm ALL in) knowing it would force me to find a way to make it work, and I'm glad I did because now I know what I'd have been missing.

Good luck, read lots, get in, and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I personally dont pay attention to the helipads on that app, b/c there are so many and most are unmanned. Obviously if you see a helicopter in the air near by, i would bring the bird down and out of the way, but otherwise I would just stay 5 miles away from airports. disable the heliports toggle on the B4UFly app and see what the map looks like then.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl