Battery Question - Temp

Reaction score
Please advise: I have the P4P with no modifications using the ipad mini4......I have One - 5870mah battery and Two - 5350mah batteries (from my previous P4)

Following most every flight with the P4 5350mah batteries the temperature is ranging from 60c to 70c (140f to 158f) however the P4P 5870mah battery stays much lower temperatures. I had understood that the two batteries were interchangeable with the P4P.

Any ideas?
airdata.JPG

They are, I'm flying both in my P4P. If you move them back and forth between AC (P4 and P4P), you might get a firmware notification, but that's all I've seen as far as incompatibility.

To give a hint to your observation, I think your P4 batteries are hotter because they have gone through more charging cycles. It's normal that internal resistace of LiPo cells increases over time. The higher the resistance the more heat produced under the same load.

Thank you, the ambient temp varied however nothing that correlates with the high battery temps. Regarding number of charges this maybe the reason as Tamas mentioned, the charging cycles are around 45 for the P4 batteries.

So should I not use them if they continue to get that hot? Is there any concern? .....and how may charges are expected life of these batteries???

Thanks for all your assistance!

I believe the P4P draws more current than a P4, more draw = higher temps with a battery with less capacity, to power the P4P.
P4P has more sensors, bigger camera with shutter and updated motors.

My p4p batteries are over 50 cycles. They should bear at least 200 charging cycles. When they're getting wrong significant capacity drop or major cell voltage difference can be observed.
Battery capacity doesn't correlate to discharging rate and therefore the caused heat. It can be though that p4 battery is designed for smaller load. Personally I feel 70C too much, and not necessarily for the battery, but the internals like main board. I'm curious what others experienced with p4 batts.

The increased capacity tells you there is something different about the two batteries. As far as heat goes, I would hope a battery as "smart" as these would have a warning available when it reached it's limit. But, who knows?

The increased capacity tells you there is something different about the two batteries. As far as heat goes, I would hope a battery as "smart" as these would have a warning available when it reached it's limit. But, who knows?
Yes, I assume a warning is shown if the temp is critical.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor