Battery optimizing flight times

Reaction score
This is just a question regarding all phantom series drones. has the battery level always been in the 20 minute area flight time for all the drone series, actually you don't get 28 approx. in flight due to take off and coming back. Is it due to the cost off the batteries that they don't or educate me. I only thought by now being this what series 4 now they would made the batteries last longer, ok thank you I just didn't no

I only thought by now being this what series 4 now they would made the batteries last longer, ok thank you I just didn't no
All the batteries for the Phantom series are similar. It's not necessarily the cost of the batteries that comes in to play. You have to balance weight vs performance. Larger batteries, sure that could be done, but the extra weight cuts down on flight time. It's a balancing act really more than anything else, and additionally, Lipo batteries require tender care to keep them operating at maximum efficiency, as opposed to LI batteries. LI batteries will last longer but they do not have the, in layman's terms "Umph" to supply enough power.

All the batteries for the Phantom series are similar. It's not necessarily the cost of the batteries that comes in to play. You have to balance weight vs performance. Larger batteries, sure that could be done, but the extra weight cuts down on flight time. It's a balancing act really more than anything else, and additionally, Lipo batteries require tender care to keep them operating at maximum efficiency, as opposed to LI batteries. LI batteries will last longer but they do not have the, in layman's terms "Umph" to supply enough power.
LiPO are LiION batteries, it is simply the pouch packaging style that gives them their name. The principal advantage is they are lighter than 18650 or other formats and they generally deliver higher C ratings. As to service life, it is the higher current applications and harsh operating conditions that generally provide for lower charge counts in RC applications.

Reactions: alokbhargava
Yes, I know that. I was trying not to get too technical about it. Wasn't necessary.
Fair enough- what you said was either too simple for me or I was too simple for it- my intent was only to offer some clarity. For instance your reference to “LI” would ordinarily refer to a primary lithium or lithium metal cell chemistry which has no practical application in powering our AC’s.

So, for curiosity sake- what did you mean by a “LI battery” that lasts longer?
Really just referring to charge cycles primarily. Didn't word that very clear.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT