Battery Deviations

I wanted to double check my memory on my personal battery deviation, and although it is not enough to cause me concern, my two batteries always show deviation in cell one. I recall thinking this may warrant posing the following questions to all:
Do you have cell divination in any batteries?
If yes, is it always cell one or four?

The only reason for one and four, is I have noticed this trend when looking at other posted HealthyDrone reports.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't use full throttle often either but I want to be able to ,for example get back home to land of a breeze comes etc.

I'm going to watch this battery closely and see what happens I guess.

It was manufactured Sept 24,2015

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't use full throttle often either but I want to be able to ,for example get back home to land of a breeze comes etc.

I'm going to watch this battery closely and see what happens I guess.

It was manufactured Sept 24,2015

are all three you have from similar time frame ,
my bad, almost unused, one is from may/15 so maybe sitting around before I got it damaged it

No.. I just checked again .. I have 2 that have had major deviations but not a lot .. This specific battery seems to be showing the worst deviations.

I think it's fine. Charge it up completely.. And do some low level flying.. Might need to do the deep discharge to balance it out but I would charge it up completely and fly it.. Carefully..

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

Yeah ... I think I may do a deep cycle to see if it helps ... What's the low level recommended for the discharge ?

Edit: 8% as per DJI ? Or is there something else that seems to work better ?

Last edited:
I think I would do what DJI says. Seems to me the way to do it would be to fly it down to about 20 percent. The manual says take it down to 8% I don't think that's a great idea though. some have done that and killed their batteries.

Last edited:
Cell #1 on all my batteries show minor deviations. I don't worry about it.
d0beebfb6b94ff03440927273c2a0d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nope, I wouldn't worry about that battery at all. How many charges are on it? Just proper
It's the major ones that worry me. [emoji17]

There are no major deviations on that snapshot. Major deviations show up in red at the bottom of the report. I know this because I had 60 in one flight. You have 0 major deviations.

To get an understanding of a battery with major deviations click on the samples at HD. Trust me none of the snapshots here show batteries that are dangerously abnormal. There are some that have some minor deviations in flight but I don't think you should be concerned yet. Sometimes, doing a deep discharge can reset the readings.

To get an understanding of a battery with major deviations click on the samples at HD. Trust me none of the snapshots here show batteries that are dangerously abnormal. There are some that have some minor deviations in flight but I don't think you should be concerned yet. Sometimes, doing a deep discharge can reset the readings.

That was his photo I quoted, his is perfectly fine !! Mine has major deviations which worries me a bit. Cell one has a pretty substantial sag under load.
9e33da8d4f52a6bf7eca1eec438c994c.jpg

I still think you are still ok. Keep watching it though.. Like I said mine had 60 then 30 in light flying after a full recharge. How many flights do you have on that batt... It does make a difference.

Phantom 3 Pro / iPad Air 2

That was his photo I quoted, his is perfectly fine !! Mine has major deviations which worries me a bit. Cell one has a pretty substantial sag under load.
9e33da8d4f52a6bf7eca1eec438c994c.jpg

If that persists after few carefully watched flights after 8% recycle and you also get orange to red power warnings I would park that one.
to many battery issues have been noted to play around with one that is anything but solid. its your cost analysis that matters.

variations on regular bases over .08 are not a good sign

But only you, truly know how good/bad it is behaving.
your call!

I tried today to warm the battery to 30c before flight to see if that helped and unfortunately it did not. I have gotten orange and red voltage warnings. I think it's a defective battery. Will be contacting DJI ASAP to have it replaced.

I tried today to warm the battery to 30c before flight to see if that helped and unfortunately it did not. I have gotten orange and red voltage warnings. I think it's a defective battery. Will be contacting DJI ASAP to have it replaced.

YUp, if you balanced the battery and temp was over 25c I think your right battery problem.
Let us know how you make out

Any issues balancing the battery with the 8% discharge with only 5 or 6 cycles on the battery ?

I would see that as a desperation move. You said earlier in the thread you weren't super worried, so I'd prefer to fly it gently at least through the break-in process. I'd want to wait until at least 10 charge cycles before I did a deep discharge. MHO.

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
I found something today that made me pause. Using msinger's log viewer, I compared two flights using the same P3P but different healthy batteries. There are two flights, one from yesterday and one two days before on Saturday. The ambient temp was about 75F in both cases, sunny So. California :D.

The battery percentage bar versus the total voltage of the battery differs by quite bit at the SAME PERCENT. It make me wonder what the DJI firmware algorithm is measuring to calculate the battery percentage bar, because these two flights are not even close in comparison.

I ended this comparison at 51% because on Saturday at 51% I got a white dialog box warning that said "Battery Warning, 10% left" , so I immediately landed. I was only 150' away so I was on the ground in 20 seconds. I had never seen that warning before in a white dialog box in the middle of the screen. The strange thing is my cell voltage showed 3.88V right before landing in the Go App and the view logger showed ~3.62 right before landing.

So being curious, I ran another flight yesterday for comparison with a different battery. This comparison shows major total voltage deltas from one battery to the other at the same percentage. Both batteries are healthy with minor deviations. I would think that under a moderate load the total voltage comparison would be within .2 volts at the same percentage. I realize that comparing voltage only is not an exact measuring method due to variable current loads with the throttle, and some averaging must be going on to produce a steady percent bar in the Go App, but the pattern I see below just doesn't make much sense to me.

Look at the starting voltages, the one with the higher voltage registers a lower 98% start level. What's that all about?
upload_2016-2-23_13-26-41.png

I'm curious what others are seeing using msingers log viewer.

EDIT,
Actually the battery temps were not the same. I left the Phantom in the car Monday, it was high 70's yesterday but it got warm inside the car, 99F. Here's an update for comparison sake.
upload_2016-2-23_15-20-37.png

Last edited:
Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl