battery adapter clip caution!! PLEASE READ!!

Reaction score
Any of you guys or gals that have purchased the battery mod adapter may want to be extra cautious when using because on the second time using mine this is what happened. Hate to see someone fry their drone because of this. I've elected not to use mine because of it but that's just me being extra careful I guess.
20170330_134246_001.jpg

Reactions: rene van der meer
Ah, thanks, seems a strange fault, the cable/ribbon conductor seems to be shorting to the plastic case, very odd.
Anyway, thanks for the warning, I am not into this type of mod.(yet).
No it shorted to the chassis not the plastic.

I am pretty sure the battery has short circuit protection BUT you don't want it shutting down while in flight!
Also, the added battery more than likely will NOT have short circuit protection!
Doesn't seem like a very good mod/design.
Where is there metal around that area?

Reactions: rsbfarms
I am pretty sure the battery has short circuit protection BUT you don't want it shutting down while in flight!
Also, the added battery more than likely will NOT have short circuit protection!
Doesn't seem like a very good mod/design.
Where is there metal around that area?

The spot there where it's black is metal. That is not plastic.

ok thanks...

That's one of the things that concerned me about these type of battery mods. The powered ribbon is obviously going to get pinched with the battery securely mounted.

And as someone who also dabbles in electric R/C racers, I do not trust the thin (ribbon) cables that these mods use.

That just seems like certain failure/fire to me...

It's part of the Magnesium chassis.
I see... I didn't know the P4 had the mag. chassis.
I would be VERY concerned that this kind of thing could/would happen.
Glad that is ALL that happened!
There must be a better way to bring the flat cables out, rather than pinching them under the battery....

Reactions: JakeMaxxUAV
It's part of the Magnesium chassis.
Oh man, magnesium? That's right! If that caught fire from a short you can't put it out. You'd see a fantastic fireworks show, not to mention catch anything on fire that it comes in contact with. If you pour water on a magnesium fire it blows up, but keeps burning.

I had forgotten the chassis was magnesium.

This brings back fond memories of burning VW crankcases while camping at Glamis dunes.

I'm thinking this would make a great YouTube video. Phantom 4 burning to the ground!

Reactions: phxbird57
Oh man, magnesium? That's right! If that caught fire from a short you can't put it out. You'd see a fantastic fireworks show, not to mention catch anything on fire that it comes in contact with. If you pour water on a magnesium fire it blows up, but keeps burning.

I had forgotten the chassis was magnesium.

This brings back fond memories of burning VW crankcases while camping at Glamis dunes.

I'm thinking this would make a great YouTube video. Phantom 4 burning to the ground!
Ha Ha...well we're not going to use mine for the show!

Hi anyone who has bought the P4 Adaptor Please contact me for a replacement of Ver 3 with this problem fixed.

Thankyou
Tom.
Uavmods

Last edited:
Hi anyone who has bought the P4 Adaptor Please contact me at www.uavmods.co.uk for a replacement of Ver 3 with this problem fixed.
You can fix temporally by putting some insulation tape on the underside from the XT60 to the plastic on the adaptor if you need any more help let me know.

Thankyou
Tom.
Uavmods
My feeling is that this could be just asking for problems. The tape will get pinched and combined with vibrations will eventually cause a short circuit again. I think the OP was very lucky his bird didn't fall out of the sky. Thanks for warning us not to use these kind of mods in the P4 with a magnesium core.

Reactions: pomonabill220
What was your extra flight time with this battery mod ??
I got 12 more minutes using 2200mAh Lipo's. I've got a pair of 3200's that I didn't get a chance to try out though that may have gave even more time than the 2200's. If I can get a replacement adapter I'll post the results from the pair of 3200's here.

I would really seriously reconsider pinching this between the battery case and the mag chassis, or ANYTHING metalic.
The batteries have a tremendous amount of ampacity (power) that could easily melt and/or start a fire, even though the OEM battery does have short circuit protection and will shut down, the external batteries probably do not, AND the bird will crash.
If there was another way to bring out the terminals, I would look into that.

You are just asking for trouble.

Tom at UAVMods was kind enough to send me an upgraded replacement version that supposedly has this problem corrected. I'll update everyone here after I receive it and check it out to see how and if it works better than this one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan