Australian Phantom Flyers!

As long as you play by the rules and put out signage to say what you are doing and to warn of the drone you can do commercail as long you have everything in place such as insurance and abn and signage and all the other rules eg the 30 m rule being police in nsw by local CC complying officers

I heard a few years ago that CASA were going to relax the rules on commercial flying of drones under 2kg. Then about 6 months ago it came out in the press in articles like this one

Has anyone heard when this will happen?
It's been a bit quiet on that since mid 2015.
The best info I can find still says CASR 102 will be completed 'sometime in 2016'.
There has been an incident that CASA is investigating that is apparently holding up progress at this time.The incident being a runner in a competition was allegedly struck by a comercially opperated UAV recently.

The rules as they stand now;
CASR Part 101 - Unmanned aircraft and rocket operations | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

A short explanation of what is changing;
CASA and remotely piloted aircraft | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Applying for an opperators certificate;
How to become a safe RPA operator | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Most everything else you need to know RE UAV/RPA in AUS;
Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100071/flying_with_control_model.pdf
https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100071/rpa_brochure_fire_fighting.pdf

As for the FIA all I can find that relates to UAVs is from Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, FAI - The World Air Sports Federation but that is based in Switzerland and has no info on Australian regs that I can find.
Google

Some clarification of FIA please Wayne,and where are you getting this information from? +1

Reactions: Shawnakova
It's been a bit quiet on that since mid 2015.
The best info I can find still says CASR 102 will be completed 'sometime in 2016'.
There has been an incident that CASA is investigating that is apparently holding up progress at this time.The incident being a runner in a competition was allegedly struck by a comercially opperated UAV recently.

The rules as they stand now;
CASR Part 101 - Unmanned aircraft and rocket operations | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

A short explanation of what is changing;
CASA and remotely piloted aircraft | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Applying for an opperators certificate;
How to become a safe RPA operator | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Most everything else you need to know RE UAV/RPA in AUS;
Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100071/flying_with_control_model.pdf
https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100071/rpa_brochure_fire_fighting.pdf

As for the FIA all I can find that relates to UAVs is from Fédération Aéronautique Internationale, FAI - The World Air Sports Federation but that is based in Switzerland and has no info on Australian regs that I can find.
Google

Some clarification of FIA please Wayne,and where are you getting this information from? +1
Thanks so much for that in depth reply! Bravo!
I've been doing a bit of research today and have found similar, it looks like things are on track to change, but as you stated, the best estimate of date is "sometime in 2016"

With any luck the wheels are moving slow because they,CASA,are being thorough and trying to get it right.Hopefully in a way that is good for all involved.
I've read that some of the the bigger companies that sell training for licencing are trying to push for some things that are of more benefit to them than us,if you follow.

After contacting CASA I was provided with the following information:

Please be advised that proposed amendments to Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 to permit the operation of a UAV under 2kg for commercial operations if certain conditions are met, without the need to be authorised by an Operating Certificate or controller certificate are not expected before the end of 2016, however notice of any amendments will be published on CASA’s web site.

To clarify the proposed amendment to the regulation (CASR Part 101) for flying UAVs under 2kgs is:

·If you are flying a <2kg drone under the following conditions you will not require a licence.

oOutside controlled airspace

oWithin VLOS and Day VMC

oUnder 400 feet

oNot within 30 metres of people

oOutside populous areas

oNot within 3nm of ANY aerodrome, airport or HLS

·If you intend operating outside ANY of the above conditions it is anticipated that current licensing regulations will apply.

Furthermore, as new information and requirements are approved, they will be advertised on the CASA web site at Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) | Civil Aviation Safety Authority

So, if i read that correctly, it looks like nothing will be happening until at least 2017 :(

There has been an incident that CASA is investigating that is apparently holding up progress at this time.The incident being a runner in a competition was allegedly struck by a comercially operated UAV recently.
Recently? The incident was in April 2014 and the operator was fined by CASA in Nov 2014.
After contacting CASA I was provided with the following information:

Please be advised that proposed amendments to Part 101 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 to permit the operation of a UAV under 2kg for commercial operations if certain conditions are met, without the need to be authorised by an Operating Certificate or controller certificate are not expected before the end of 2016,
So, if i read that correctly, it looks like nothing will be happening until at least 2017 :(
This is nothing but pathetic.
CASA initially brought this up with public comment closing in mid-2014 to have the rules in place by the end of 2014.
In mid-2015 that had stretched to .. by the end of 2015.
And in November last year it had become by mid-2016
Now they say not before the end of this year!!!
What are they doing at CASA and why can't they get around to fixing this rule that they announced they wanted to change nearly two years ago?
How can they justify doing absolutely nothing for so long?

Anyone from western Sydney? Where do you fly?
Hi Deepeshdotcom, I am from Campbelltown, and I fly around reserves and remote bushland, football and recreational area. Mostly pretty close to home. I have also done some flying along the Nepean River, again close to home at Menangle near Campbelltown. (15 minutes drive for me)
I have approached several model aero clubs, and haven't had a reply yet. Too close to Christmas I was thinking.
Model clubs tend to be people who make their own aircraft I thin. Just near us at Appin is a big club mainly of radio controlled glider enthusiasts.
I'd love to link up and fly with a friend as well, maybe start a group. The DJI suppliers are not enthusiastic to this though.
Regards, Chris Munson

Hi all from North Ryde.
I know there are a bunch of rc pilots that fly sunday mornings over near Macquarie Centre, but thats not really visually exciting, also they are mostly planes and choppers
anyone else in the area?
Mark

Another one from Perth. :sunglasses:

I work in the Eastern Goldfields, so I'm planning on bringing my (2 week old) P3P out here to do some sunrise / sunset stuff before and after work too.

It's a beautiful drive; I've done it a few times now.

A word of warning - it can get really windy, especially the Western half of the Eyre Peninsula and along the Great Australian Bight.

Safe and happy travels!
looking forward to the nullabore, planning on seeing as much of the coast as we can, taking 3 months driving from sydney to broome and back, photo ops here we come :)

New phantom 3 owner in SA. So wheres the. Best places to fly? Seems the city park lands are all out due to airport and hospital helicopter landing pads.
Whats the deal withVictoria Park. I often see gliders there but never a drone

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi All,
Brissy P3s owner here, been on the forum about a month now and really enjoying it.

"New phantom 3 owner in SA. So wheres the. Best places to fly?"
Well Hughyg, I was in the SA outback near Woomera and Coober Pedy etc last October, and I bought a drone just to take it back there.
How about these still photos? I want to fly a drone over to that island in the middle of the salt lake. (Conical hill near Pimbla I think)
I think you've got to get way out there to really see the good stuff.

Attachments

• Woom+40.JPG
    Woom+40.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 399
  • Woom+41.JPG
    Woom+41.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 350
  • Woom+43.JPG
    Woom+43.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 389
Just to say hi to all Phantom flyers in Australia and particularly, Victoria.
May I check which are the known places to fly safely in Melbourne?
Preferably where drone pilots usually congregate safety in numbers, you see :D

Hey guys i just pulled out my little white plug on the cameras main board anyone know is it just as simple as soldering it back on?also if anyone has any SPARE camera parts let me know thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart