Austin, Tx bans drones during SXSW

Reaction score
It may be just a publicity stunt. Technically I think they can not allow flying because it might be private property and that could be seen as a violation.

The sad thing is that they even have to think about a ban to ensure that some numbnuts does not fly their quad over crowds of people. But there it is. Plus Texas has some pretty strict drone laws.

Texas has enacted the most detailed of these laws. Its drone law — called the Texas Privacy Act– explicitly authorizes drones to capture images in certain circumstances. For instance, it permits owners and operators of pipelines to use drones for inspections and university professors to use them for “scholarly research.” The Texas law also allows drones to capture images of people on “public real property,” of people “on real property that is within 25 miles of the United States border,” and “with the consent of the individual who owns or lawfully occupies the real property captured in the image.”

In addition to these permissible uses, the law prohibits certain conduct — specifically, using a drone to capture images of people or privately owned property “with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property.” The law, however, does not define “surveillance.”

Texas deems this conduct a misdemeanor and provides a defense if the alleged offender destroyed the image as soon as he or she realizes it was captured and has not disclosed it to anyone else. The law also makes it a misdemeanor to possess, disclose, distribute, or otherwise use an image after capturing it in violation of the law.

In addition, Texas law gives owners and tenants of private property the right to file suit to enjoin an “imminent violation” of the criminal provisions and to seek civil penalties and attorney’s fees. The civil penalties include statutory damages of up to $5,000 for “all images captured in a single episode” and up to $10,000 for the disclosure or “use” of “any images captured in a single episode.” An owner and tenant also can recover actual damages if he or she can show that the images were disclosed or distributed with “malice.”

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0

SilentAV8R said:
The sad thing is that they even have to think about a ban to ensure that some numbnuts does not fly their quad over crowds of people. But there it is. Plus Texas has some pretty strict drone laws.

Texas has enacted the most detailed of these laws. Its drone law — called the Texas Privacy Act– explicitly authorizes drones to capture images in certain circumstances. For instance, it permits owners and operators of pipelines to use drones for inspections and university professors to use them for “scholarly research.” The Texas law also allows drones to capture images of people on “public real property,” of people “on real property that is within 25 miles of the United States border,” and “with the consent of the individual who owns or lawfully occupies the real property captured in the image.”

In addition to these permissible uses, the law prohibits certain conduct — specifically, using a drone to capture images of people or privately owned property “with the intent to conduct surveillance on the individual or property.” The law, however, does not define “surveillance.”

Texas deems this conduct a misdemeanor and provides a defense if the alleged offender destroyed the image as soon as he or she realizes it was captured and has not disclosed it to anyone else. The law also makes it a misdemeanor to possess, disclose, distribute, or otherwise use an image after capturing it in violation of the law.

In addition, Texas law gives owners and tenants of private property the right to file suit to enjoin an “imminent violation” of the criminal provisions and to seek civil penalties and attorney’s fees. The civil penalties include statutory damages of up to $5,000 for “all images captured in a single episode” and up to $10,000 for the disclosure or “use” of “any images captured in a single episode.” An owner and tenant also can recover actual damages if he or she can show that the images were disclosed or distributed with “malice.”

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0

Maybe an app like "Hover" will consolidate state/municipal codes addressing drone laws to allow us to reference so we aren't on a wild goose chase for information before we fly somewhere illegally?

SilentAV8R said:

As you are always the voice for conservative wackjobery I offer my more reasonable counterpoint.

Unfortunately this will only bring out more of the numbnuts while preventing the more responsible, business oriented types to play it safe and not fly. This makes a non-criminal activity a crime in so doing enticing natural rule breakers to flaunt the stupidity of such a ban with reckless activities.

Going to extremes often times has the opposite intended effect. Calling for safe flying, keeping safe distances away from crowds and general adult responsibility would have been a more practical approach. This kind of approach from the Austin police chief is just asking for trouble:

“Believe me, in the state of Texas folks don’t like drones, so if you operate one, we will get a call, you will be subject to confiscation or arrest.” - Austin police chief Art Acevedo

derrickduff said:
SilentAV8R said:

As you are always the voice for conservative wackjobery I offer my more reasonable counterpoint.

Seriously?? I am a total ACLU loving anti-ditto-head liberal!! I've got to share this with some friends of mine, but I'll have to do it near an emergency room because they will absolutely pass out from laughing!!

I am not sure what you define conservative as, but personally I define anyone who flies over the heads of unprotected and non-consent giving people to be an irresponsible idiot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl