Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Austin, Tx bans drones during SXSW

Discussion in 'News' started by sdtrojan, Mar 12, 2015.

1. sdtrojan

2. Jacob

Jacob Administrator
    Staff Member

It may be just a publicity stunt. Technically I think they can not allow flying because it might be private property and that could be seen as a violation.

3. SilentAV8R

The sad thing is that they even have to think about a ban to ensure that some numbnuts does not fly their quad over crowds of people. But there it is. Plus Texas has some pretty strict drone laws.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0

4. sdtrojan

Maybe an app like "Hover" will consolidate state/municipal codes addressing drone laws to allow us to reference so we aren't on a wild goose chase for information before we fly somewhere illegally?

5. derrickduff

As you are always the voice for conservative wackjobery I offer my more reasonable counterpoint.

Unfortunately this will only bring out more of the numbnuts while preventing the more responsible, business oriented types to play it safe and not fly. This makes a non-criminal activity a crime in so doing enticing natural rule breakers to flaunt the stupidity of such a ban with reckless activities.

Going to extremes often times has the opposite intended effect. Calling for safe flying, keeping safe distances away from crowds and general adult responsibility would have been a more practical approach. This kind of approach from the Austin police chief is just asking for trouble:

“Believe me, in the state of Texas folks don’t like drones, so if you operate one, we will get a call, you will be subject to confiscation or arrest.” - Austin police chief Art Acevedo

6. SilentAV8R

Seriously?? I am a total ACLU loving anti-ditto-head liberal!! I've got to share this with some friends of mine, but I'll have to do it near an emergency room because they will absolutely pass out from laughing!!

I am not sure what you define conservative as, but personally I define anyone who flies over the heads of unprotected and non-consent giving people to be an irresponsible idiot.