Atti vs GPS.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've notice a lot of people saying going into ATTI allows for a higher top speed. I played with this a lot and have found no difference whatsoever. Anyone else found ATTI doesn't change top speed? Any tips to get it working more effectively??

It seems to me to fly about 10% faster in ATTI mode but use battery faster too. In high headwinds though I see zero or negative improvement in speed.

Full speed, in either setting, gives you less flying time. It is no different to your car. As a flying camera platform high speed doesn't seem to be too important, as least to me.

Yesterday I made a thread where I was getting 35mph in GPS and 41 in ATTI.

Full speed, in either setting, gives you less flying time. It is no different to your car. As a flying camera platform high speed doesn't seem to be too important, as least to me.

I fly for performance as opposed to photography. A higher top speed would benefit my application hence the post.

With the P2s, switching from GPS to Atti. increased the maximum tilt angle thus the speed. This was obvious when switching from one mode to the other while inputting full right stick in any direction.

This does not seem to occur with the P3s so thus no difference in speeds between modes.

I fly for performance as opposed to photography. A higher top speed would benefit my application hence the post.

Look for a used P2. It has 'manual' mode capabilities too!

mine went from 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds in ATTI mode!!:D

Most certainly "faster" on mine in Atti mode. It's not as dramatic as the difference in the P2, but when on my way back from a long range mission, I get an extra 10-20% in horizontal speed from Atti.

When viewing saved footage it's clear that the pitch angle is increased in Atti.

I think the difference has changed in recent firmware updates--which one I'm not sure. But, a couple months ago, I tested the difference and found no significant difference in speed.

This past weekend, (while shooting a friend's sailboat) I discovered that in GPS mode, I no longer get the benefit of a tail wind (like I used to a couple months ago), as it keeps the ground speed at around 35-37 mph regardless. I switched over to ATTI, and my ground speed went up to 55mph (thanks to a 20mph tail wind).

I still see no difference in speed when wind is not a factor. I think many people think they're getting faster speeds, because ATTI isn't automatically correcting for any cross-wind component they're constantly exposed to (unless flying exactly into or with the wind), thus have more apparent speed in the direction they're moving in. However, if one was to maintain the exact COURSE (as one simply gets when maintaining HEADING in GPS mode); you don't get any significant difference in ground speed.

Unless you are flying exactly into the wind or have it exactly behind you, determining the effect of the wind on your speed will be complex.
Some of the replies here show that.
I discovered that in GPS mode, I no longer get the benefit of a tail wind (like I used to a couple months ago), as it keeps the ground speed at around 35-37 mph regardless. I switched over to ATTI, and my ground speed went up to 55mph (thanks to a 20mph tail wind).

I still see no difference in speed when wind is not a factor. I think many people think they're getting faster speeds, because ATTI isn't automatically correcting for any cross-wind component they're constantly exposed to (unless flying exactly into or with the wind), thus have more apparent speed in the direction they're moving in
Flying in a tailwind or headwind situation, atti and GPS, the wind will have exactly the same effect.
When you push the right stick forward, the P3 goes forward as fast as it can In either mode and being carried by the wind, whatever mode it is in, its speed will be higher than in still air.
If it's in GPS mode, while going forward, it will not slow down to counter the wind.

Reactions: skyeboysteve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart