Attention: We will have to EXTERNALLY mark all aircraft with Reg #

Me has emailed CAA of NZ and airshare to find out what happening on this side,no reply yet but will update what they say
OK got reply,,we got no new changes coming,,see what comes back from airshare
20190215_090919.jpg

Reactions: Phill2
Oops, maybe we should have a small flag posted so we know where the post as far as regulations go.

Perhaps,
I think that most on here know or can easily find out who FAA is, CAA, CASA etc perhaps less well know internationally, in this case it was clearly FAA. Many of these kind of points are both of interest for global observers and likely to affect local thinking. (Good ideas should be adopted ). I track with interest as often my fellow pilots (many rec pilots) locally get their rules mixed up with overseas regs too. Most challenging for all is comments that are very much local only, stated as fact but not stated with understanding this is a global forum, and such ‘fact’ is not necessarily true for reader elsewhere.

Perhaps,
I think that most on here know or can easily find out who FAA is, CAA, CASA etc perhaps less well know internationally, in this case it was clearly FAA. Many of these kind of points are both of interest for global observers and likely to affect local thinking. (Good ideas should be adopted ). I track with interest as often my fellow pilots (many rec pilots) locally get their rules mixed up with overseas regs too. Most challenging for all is comments that are very much local only, stated as fact but not stated with understanding this is a global forum, and such ‘fact’ is not necessarily true for reader elsewhere.

That's why I always specify Australia.
It would be a lot easier if everyone had their location in their profile.
It is great that we can see what's happening in other countries though.

Reactions: Loz
Perhaps,

I stand corrected
UNCLASSIFIED
Good afternoon Phill

Thank you for your email. At this point in time, it is not a requirement to display your ARN on your drone.

Kind Regards

Sarah Wakely
Client Services Centre Officer
Permissions Issue Team
Client Services Centre
CASA\ Stakeholder Engagement Division
p: 131 757
12-14 The Circuit, Brisbane Airport QLD 4008
GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601
www.casa.gov.au

Reactions: Loz
When the FAA first required registration of small drones in 2015, I thought it was just silly that many operators were hiding the registration numbers in the battery compartment. Manned aircraft are required to have the registration numbers displayed in plain sight. It was only a matter of time before the FAA made this a requirement for unmanned drones too. But I still have my address and phone number in the battery compartment in case the drone is ever lost.

Reactions: BigAl07 and Loz
Being a retired sign guy I just cut vinyl letters (.4) and applied them to the front of my drone (P-4). I left the other ID stuff intact in the battery compartment.

I stand corrected
UNCLASSIFIED
Good afternoon Phill

Thank you for your email. At this point in time, it is not a requirement to display your ARN on your drone.

Kind Regards

Sarah Wakely
Client Services Centre Officer
Permissions Issue Team
Client Services Centre
CASA\ Stakeholder Engagement Division
p: 131 757
12-14 The Circuit, Brisbane Airport QLD 4008
GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601
www.casa.gov.au

Thanks Phil, nothing like asking if not sure. Appreciate letting us all know.

Reactions: Phill2
Is this a world wide roll out,,still nothing in emails from airshare for CAA on this side of world or is it coming,,mine named and addressed and my phone contact but that it,,is that all that required ??.

Not yet America only
Also nothing in France Yet (AFAIK)

I wonder what they would require if I took my drone over the pond on vacation

Are people attaching "Please call XXX-XXX-XXXX if found." labels? Seems like a good idea to help recover a lost flyer.
I said this is the past aswell,,we find it hard to label drones worth lots of $$$$$$$$ but we can label a school uniform,,what's up with that,,all mine tagged just in case,it might try a RTH to China lol,or if like me lucky to have p4 fall out the sky above my own house roof,now that luck but if someone else's property at least it can be returned after damage payment made,(here's not hoping on that)

OK SO DO WE WRITE IT ON THE DRONE?; IF SO WHERE? HOW BIG SHOULD THE LETTERS BE?
And is hand-written acceptable or will they supply a label to their specifications that will, naturally, cost us more money? What about color? Font? etc.

I know the wording says it's a precaution, but strangely, until they mentioned explosive devices, that never occurred to me. Kind of like being guilty until proven innocent....

On the other hand, even before the number, I always put my contact info inside the battery door, mainly for the chance of losing it and having an honest person find and return it.

And is hand-written acceptable or will they supply a label to their specifications that will, naturally, cost us more money? What about color? Font? etc.

I know the wording says it's a precaution, but strangely, until they mentioned explosive devices, that never occurred to me. Kind of like being guilty until proven innocent....

On the other hand, even before the number, I always put my contact info inside the battery door, mainly for the chance of losing it and having an honest person find and return it.

I think this will clear it up a little bit:

faa-how-to-label-your-drone-jpg.63370

Just for ideas, this is where I've installed my registration numbers using our decals.
faam2p1 Small.jpg
faam2p2 Small.jpg
faama Small.jpg
faamp Small.jpg
faap4 Small.jpg
faai1p Small.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and Ansia
The justification is the possibility of a bomb in the model that is triggered when the battery is removed. Has that ever happened before? I don’t remember that in the news.
I have always had all my info on the outside of my UAV. The justification is the most stupid thing I have ever heard, this has never happened. They don’t have to justify it to me anyhow, just make the regulation and be done with it, don’t make up a stupid story. So many things more dangerous in life than this but dronemania continues on.

My drone has been externally labeled since day 1. I personally don't think it's a big deal. The (new) regulation is not specific about the size or method of identification other than it must remain affixed for the duration of each drone operation, it must be legible, and can be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft's exterior. It doesn't have to be so large that it can be read from the ground when the aircraft is in flight. I used a P-touch label maker and made a small but legible label. It took me less than 5 minutes. I put it directly above the PHANTOM logo along with my AMA member number. I think I may ad contact information as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl