ATC clearance in LAANC 0ft location

10X

Reaction score
Can the ATC give clearance to fly in a LAANC location marked 0ft? In other words, can the tower override the 0ft & allow you to fly or does the LAANC override the tower?

Can the ATC give clearance to fly in a LAANC location marked 0ft? In other words, can the tower override the 0ft & allow you to fly or does the LAANC override the tower?

You're missing the purpose of the altitude grid. It's a short cut to help you not file/request for an altitude that will be certainly denied. Keep in mind "the Tower" is the ones who approved and in many case even to created the "Grid" that is showing 0' AGL. Even though you are applying to the FAA for the approval that actual approval comes from "The Tower".

While I'll be the first to admit I've not seen everything, I have not seen anyone (other than emergency services and that's a COA not a LAANC authorization) get approval to fly in a 0' location. I don't doubt that somewhere out there someone has been lucky, pulled some strings, or found a way to do so in certain very controlled situations. If someone tells you they have approval to fly in a 0' sector take that with a grain of salt. It's easy to be "That Guy" sitting behind a keyboard.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I received a "Wide Area Airspace Authorization" for Dayton International Airport before LAANC was implemented but I still had to adhere to the AGL's listed here (these are the same grids LAANC now uses): Home | Federal Aviation Administration - Unmanned Aircraft System
I was initially going for a 100ft AGL authorization in a location that was only 50ft. So I could fly in the location I wanted to with the authorization but only to 50' AGL. I agree with @BigAl07 I haven't seen any commercial pilots given authorization yet in a 0ft AGL area of the grid.

Thanks for the replies. I had someone tell me they could get clearance from the tower to fly at one of my construction sites. Just as I thought, it's a no go.

Thanks for the replies. I had someone tell me they could get clearance from the tower to fly at one of my construction sites. Just as I thought, it's a no go.

ATC can (and do) give Authorizations verbally even though it's been heavily suggested they refer every request to the portal/LAANC.. I misunderstood your question originally. If someone is in tight with the tower and they have demonstrated that they are professionals, able to operate safely it's possible they could get verbal approval from ATC for a strict area.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart