are these formation-flying drones centrally controlled?

Reaction score
A friend described a night-time opening ceremony where lit up drones moved in formation, creating shapes in the sky, then 'splitting off' unlit to create other shapes and appear lit again ....

so my question is does anyone know whether the group would have been controlled by a central-controlling computer - or do you know exactly how it's done?

My friend said it was fantastic to see...I have a copy of some phone footage but can't seem to post it so here's a still ...

north exhibition Snapshot 1.png

I know someone on the Intel drone team. They are famous for flying hundreds of drones in formation all over the world at events such as the Olympics and the Super Bowl. Once a show is designed, it is usually one pilot using special software on a single computer. I’ve seen them practicing with their Shooting Star drones and its amazing.

Last edited:
It's called drone swarms

Now this is just darn scary.

THE MACHINES ARE TAKING OVER!

I'm telling you look into drone swarms it's real freaking scary.
They can do darn near anything with drones now with a computer running them.

I imagine they'd get the same flight time as any other drone using a high output multicoloured LED. Judging by their size I'd say no longer than about 8 to 10 minutes. They wouldn't be able to carry much in the way of battery power. All they require is two people to run the full 1,200 compliment of quadcopters. Plus a heck of a lot of people to pick them all up after landing and then recharging them all and that alone would be a headache.

Reactions: JoBe
Wilbur, the machines HAVE taken over. Won't be long before the computers and bots won't let us useless humans unplug them or turn them off. Commander Data, where are you when we need you the most?

Thanks Oso. Wow, I think I've just discovered a whole new road to go down when I find myself disappearing into youtube...
I attended an Intel 50th anniversary drone show earlier this evening. There were 2018 drones in the air simultaneously, and it was truly spectacular. I very highly recommend seeing a drone show in person if you ever get the chance. You will not be disappointed.

For those who have shown interest, here is a video of the show last night taken by a local news crew.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT