Aquaphobia

Reaction score
So I'm wondering about something. How often do DJI's latest Phantoms (I'm thinking 3 &4) just... fall?

Ever since my DJI F450 fell into a lake years ago, I've been scared of flying my Phantoms over water. I have both 2 and 3P (with a 4 on the way), and I've never experienced any unexpected behaviour, falls, flyaways, or anything of the sort.

All this would suggest that DJI's latest hardware is reliable enough and can be flown safely over water. Yet I can't get over my irrational fear of flying a €1600 drone over water.

Anyone in a similar boat? (heh, see what I did there?)

yeah I been flying over water but only been out 1000 feet little scary just take baby steps

The first time I flew over water, I was at a weird angle, and for 5 seconds it looked like the P3 had flipped... scariest moment of my life, heart beating sooooo quickly!

Well ya always can just have this instead of a splash :)
near creek.jpg or damage.jpg or from the other week 00097E71-0AC6-4DB2-828D-96717A9C3F1F.JPG
If ya gonna fall ya gonna fall .

Well ya always can just have this instead of a splash :)
View attachment 47500 or View attachment 47498 or from the other week View attachment 47499
If ya gonna fall ya gonna fall .
Been there, done that. Crashed a new-ish P3P into a side of the building. Was flying it pointing towards me, and confused the directions when it was moving sideways. I've learned my lesson, sucked it up and replaced the damaged parts (shell and gimbal).

Cynical as it sounds, but I'm fine with that. Pilot errors like that may hurt, but at least you know it was your fault. Whereas if something happens over water, chances are it's either some hardware failure or wind. That's what scares me.

Reactions: dirkclod
What makes my phobia even more annoying is that I live in Norway, a country with beautiful fjords and high mountain lakes. Scenery we have here just begs to be filmed from above the water. But noooo :mad:

Reactions: dirkclod
Been there, done that. Crashed a new-ish P3P into a side of the building. Was flying it pointing towards me, and confused the directions when it was moving sideways. I've learned my lesson, sucked it up and replaced the damaged parts (shell and gimbal).

Cynical as it sounds, but I'm fine with that. Pilot errors like that may hurt, but at least you know it was your fault. Whereas if something happens over water, chances are it's either some hardware failure or wind. That's what scares me.
Hear ya and glad there's plenty of parts for that P2 .Why there's a Mia 3 :)
Now I've started flying over the Waterway here with my P3 doing barges I'm on edge . Do have the Getterback but isn't the same .
Still fly like a crazy chimp though ;) lol
Just have a funny taste in my mouth .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl