Apocalypse Now! Add sound to your quad

Reaction score
After Vancouver airport started using a quad to chase geese away I was asked by a local golf course about the phantom. I thought the local eagles which terrify these geese would be a good add on sound but the systems used for RC Planes are pricey and heavy. So I built a super cheap, crazily effective system for a few bucks. We all laughed our asses off when it worked like a charm.

http://youtu.be/5MCGbFS44QA

I haven't chased the geese yet, I'll let you know how that goes.....

Very cool!! Will have to try that as well.

It was called BoomCube but was basically a cheap knockoff of many small ones like that. What I liked about it was the lack of extra packaging, ie light, 2 watts of power which is a lot for that size, rechargeable battery is small and built in, and the built in mini plug. Not bad for about 30 grams. There are many flavours around of these things but some have Bluetooth, need batteries or have more weight for better bass sound, all that adds a heap of weight. Still, if you could pump out 5 watts, now your talking!

Yup, Ebay has them all over the place.
Just another fun thing to do with your Phantom

It could be real fun on Halloween, put some spooking noises in there and and hover above the house.

One more stupid question. Where did you get the looping heli sound?
Can't find anything on the internet. Rid of the Valkeries, be nice to know where you go that to.

Thanks

I downloaded all the sounds using A google search. Then I put them into a video editor, final cut but even an audio editor should work. I then copy pasted them over and over so they would end up 10 minutes long, then output as an audio mp3 file. I had bought flight of the Valkyries from the iTunes Store for a buck for an earlier project. If you really want to poor boy it, play a YouTube or Classic music version, and record it on a phone recorder and send that file to yourself and put on your MP3 player. You won't win any music fidelity awards but that wasn't about to happen anyway!

Well, I got a speaker just like the one in your video, and an mp3 shuffle. I attached it to the Phantom and could barely hear the music above the rotor noice, even when it was up close. Sound was nothing like in your video.

Since the speakers are the same, I have to think that it is the mp3 player.

Do you remember where you got years, brand name, etc.?

By the way, thanks for the info on how you did the music, etc. I did the same thing from Amazon.

Thanks
Chuck

My MP3 player is an ipod nano. Your post got me thinking about absolute sound levels and maybe a bigger speaker. So i used the decibel iPhone app and redid it, then with a strong contact vibration speaker that uses the entire Phantom as a speaker, then with a stronger but heavier speaker. Although te stronger one pushed out more db, peak 79 versus peak 74 at 15 feet, it was so heavy it woudlnt be worth it. This is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cDEOQuO ... Vjd-PHQT0w

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl