Anyone using a GPS tracker?

Reaction score
Hey guys. Wondering if anyone knows the best bang for your buck when it comes to GPS trackers?
Seems like good insurance in the event of a fly away

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

How about mounting your old iPhone onto P3 and use Find my phone App to get location of your P3.
That would work great until you lost GPS/Cell service. Does the GPS in old iphone work if the phone is no longer being paid for?

That would work great until you lost GPS/Cell service. Does the GPS in old iphone work if the phone is no longer being paid for?
GPS in old phone will continue to work even if there is no cell service but you will not be able to communicate with it unless it has cell service or wireless connectivity.

Reactions: Gary E
Not inexpensive but I also use Marco Polo. Great peace of mind purchase imho.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Gary E
My question is different.

Now that the cost of these are nor 500 -1000,

What real value is having a tracker?

In the case you actually need it the quad had disappeared from site and it will do one of the following:
1. flys with wind until battery dies and crashes.
2. flys until low battery and hovers rth alttiude, till battery dead and crashes
3. flys into object and crashes
4. flys into tree and gets hung up, maybe best scenario unless so high......
5 etc.

Now when it crashes you need to be able to find and to reach it.
OCEAN landing --forget it
lake landing-- maybe
freeway landing--- ouch
tall tree or forest -- even if found can you get it?
fenced private property etc... good luck maybe.

Now if you do find it how much to fix / repair if fixable.

If you don't find it or unfixable your out the cost of quad and tracker....

So my insurance method was to buy a used same quad, a P3s for 399.
I got a spare battery(value 150) to have and use NOW, we all need batteries , right.
and
net cost of a WHOLE QUAD for 250(399-150) AND IT FUN AS WELL!
did same when I had my vision plus as well.

at current cost is the tracker really cost effective anymore.

With that in mind I wonder how many successful recoveries have been made of salvageable quads via them>

I have had P1,couple or 3 p2's and now have 3 p3's, sold the ones I don't have now---no flyaway .lol

good luck and have fun flying

I have used a TK103b in our fleet of vans at work, They make a TK108, all in one tracker, works off a SIM card. The trackers are less than $40 and a data only sim will run you about $11 a month. Drawbacks, the 108 is 5 inch square, extra weight also. I can mount this on a 550 or larger, no problem.. Not sure where I would put it on a phantom.

The TK103 comes with an internal backup battery that last a few days
There are smaller 'all in one' TK versions, under $100.

But, I'm with kirk, if your bird falls 200+ feet, what is it exactly your looking for? and couldn't you get a general location from the GO app?

Reactions: kirk2579
I've always been a firm user a Flytrex hate flying without it. When my signal cuts out and I'm waiting for to come back I can flip the app open see that my bird is flying safely to me until I regain my signal. What I'm trying to make it back from 30,000 feet. And I just don't have enough battery I can land in an emergency landing spot while I'm walking to my vehicle to go retrieve it I can open the app and see that it landed there safely.
Not to mention the flight log. After the cost of the unit, The Sim card cost $10 for three months.

Reactions: Noble 1 and nix240z
What real value is having a tracker?

In the only instance where I used it but didn't really need to, it could have saved my bird. I tried to do a 5 mile Litchi GS run with my P2V+ and the bird fell short. Got a low battery alert and the bird couldn't make it home. Fell short by about 1-2k feet. The bird initiated an auto-land. Because I had pre-planned the flight very thoroughly beforehand I knew about where it had gone down. It had landed in an already harvested corn field. I used the tracker just to test it and it pinpointed it right away. Found the bird in perfect condition in the cornfield. If I hadn't pre-planned the flight or if the corn had not been harvested, I would have probably lost the bird.

As noted, it won't do any good if you land in water but anywhere else at least it's recoverable. Just my opinion but I wouldn't fly any type of distance runs without my trackers.

Jerry

Reactions: dirtybum
flytrex on my P3P[/

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1455901240.787157.jpg

Yeah,baby, i like when i'm flying and get texts from friends that are alerted of my liveflight, theyre yelling" are you crazy turn around fly home!!!"

Wow lots of great input. Thanks a to. Guys. There's an eBay seller selling the flytrex for $50. Going to keep these on my radar

I've always been a firm user a Flytrex hate flying without it. When my signal cuts out and I'm waiting for to come back I can flip the app open see that my bird is flying safely to me until I regain my signal. What I'm trying to make it back from 30,000 feet. And I just don't have enough battery I can land in an emergency landing spot while I'm walking to my vehicle to go retrieve it I can open the app and see that it landed there safely.
Not to mention the flight log. After the cost of the unit, The Sim card cost $10 for three months.

dirty

definitely a value for that long run stuff like you run, have read a few your posts for sure.
to be able land remotely if needed and find it is one scenario I overlooked for sure, pretty neat way to save it.

I was mostly thinking folks like me that just fly within a few thousand feet or so just for fun and stuff.

take care and good luck

Wow lots of great input. Thanks a to. Guys. There's an eBay seller selling the flytrex for $50. Going to keep these on my radar

Be careful, most of em that price are 3g units not compatable for p3! P3 requires "live plus" model( no red power wire)

What you use I think depends on where you do most of your flying.

Marco Polo is probably the best if you fly in areas where cellular service is spotty or non existent.

In areas where solid cellular service is present, a TK102B or TK109B are very inexpensive and very reliable devices for locating.
Typically $20-$40 for the device and $3.00 per month (average) for service.
If you want to spend more, Trackimo for $140 plus I think $60 for 3 months is an alternative.

I use a TK109B.

I have used a TK103b in our fleet of vans at work, They make a TK108, all in one tracker, works off a SIM card. The trackers are less than $40 and a data only sim will run you about $11 a month. Drawbacks, the 108 is 5 inch square, extra weight also. I can mount this on a 550 or larger, no problem.. Not sure where I would put it on a phantom.

The TK103 comes with an internal backup battery that last a few days
There are smaller 'all in one' TK versions, under $100.

But, I'm with kirk, if your bird falls 200+ feet, what is it exactly your looking for? and couldn't you get a general location from the GO app?

Finding the pieces gives you closure. And sometimes a video as a memento.
Then again, it "could" land on something very soft and have little damage. (Optimistic)

Reactions: Jtrjr

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT