Any reasonable priced drones that can go 40 miles?

No spicific height really - other than keep it legal where you fly - but wind is a factor. Typically, wind speed is lower at lower altitudes, so it often makes sense to head out into a headwind at a low altitude and head back a bit higher. For the Phantom 4 series, you will get the most distance at about 30 MPH.
Reminder: FAA limits us to LOS, line of sight (unaided)

I think some of you need to read my first post, and see how I limited this conversation. IF you had been watching the news you would have seen where the FFA is testing the use of commercial drones in three cities. I'll bet they are not VLOS. I do use cell phone cameras(Covert Code Black), and they do work, but there are a couple of down sides to them. Yes, there is the newer models that can daisy chain together. These camera do not transmit video, just still pictures. But, that is a fixed location. Here's an example; however, not a really good one. I get an alert from the camera, I could then fly over to see what is going on. This also is not just about me, it is the concept of doing this. You can use your own imagination about how the concept could be applied. I won't even get into the FAA. Having been a airplane owner for over 25 years, I and just about every pilot up here could tell you our opinion of that organization.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
... I won't even get into the FAA. Having been a airplane owner for over 25 years, I and just about every pilot up here could tell you our opinion of that organization.
faa_mission_statement_225quot_button.jpg

Reactions: AnchorageAk
Yeah, I kind of figured it didn't make the return trip. That's pretty amazing though to get that distance and still maintain control and video.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Yes it is. He didn't even have a GPS tracker on it. He landed it with the Go app. He then just used the Go app and went to its last seen location. Pretty amazing.

Yes I know reasonable is a relative term. Sitting here trying not to spend any money on drones. At least for the day. Was thinking about how nice it would be, in my old age, to fly a drone to our cabin from my wheel chair, stroller, etc. For $10k I might think about it. Some thing tells me my wife wouldn't think about it. LOL. It is 40 miles over water. I know the government has all the good toys, but will there be a toy like that in our future? Just asking about the cost, technology, and the future. Not legal, moral, what my neighbor might thing, or if the nurse might rat me out for having a 10 foot drone under my bed.

What you need first is airplane model, wingspan around 4 meters, 2 or 4 stroke gasoline engine up to 8 HP, equipped with decent reliable remote control with all fail safe functions you can get.
This bird should be able for MTOW around 40 kg. On top of that you can use one of the ingenious Micropilot Canada devices (MicroPilot - World Leader in Professional UAS Autopilots | Home Page) for nice, smooth, stable and safe fully autonomous flight. Down-link (FPV feed and telemetry), you can choose 5.8 GHz 10Watt transmitter.
Up-link booster no more than 10 Watt with Yagi antenna.
A lot of knowledge and big balls.

There is no limit what you can do with this technology. Only limitation is governments around the globe and their regulations.

From 1993 up to 1996 I made like 50 flights over 50 km, the longest one was 82 km, equipped with 1 GHz /1 Watt FM video transmitter as down-link and 72 MHz / 25 Watt up-link for commands.
Stable flight established with accelerometer and altitude hold function with magnetometer dial. No telemetry, no GPS - navigation via good old fashion maps in paper.
With today's technology - piece of cake....

But for those flights you need altitude of more than 1.000 meters to gain VLOS all the time.

Last edited:
What you need first is airplane model, wingspan around 4 meters, 2 or 4 stroke gasoline engine up to 8 HP, equipped with decent reliable remote control with all fail safe functions you can get.
This bird should be able for MTOW around 40 kg. On top of that you can use one of the ingenious Micropilot Canada devices (MicroPilot - World Leader in Professional UAS Autopilots | Home Page) for nice, smooth, stable and safe fully autonomous flight. Down-link (FPV feed and telemetry), you can choose 5.8 GHz 10Watt transmitter.
Up-link booster no more than 10 Watt with Yagi antenna.
A lot of knowledge and big balls.

There is no limit what you can do with this technology. Only limitation is governments around the globe and their regulations.

From 1993 up to 1996 I made like 50 flights over 50 km, the longest one was 82 km, equipped with 1 GHz /1 Watt FM video transmitter as down-link and 72 MHz / 25 Watt up-link for commands.
Stable flight established with accelerometer and altitude hold function with magnetometer dial. No telemetry, no GPS - navigation via good old fashion maps in paper.
With today's technology - piece of cake....

But for those flights you need altitude of more than 1.000 meters to gain VLOS all the time.

WOW !

The LYNX flier can fly up to 3 hours on a single charge. Almost silent, flies like a dream and hand launch (landing might need to get creative). Maintaining video/control signal is a whole other story but this would be an excellent aircraft to start with. It's designed for large area mapping but I'm confident it would be an excellent long-range loiterer.
Lynx FarScight
Less setup, more coverage.

Reactions: sar104
The LYNX flier can fly up to 3 hours on a single charge. Almost silent, flies like a dream and hand launch (landing might need to get creative). Maintaining video/control signal is a whole other story but this would be an excellent aircraft to start with. It's designed for large area mapping but I'm confident it would be an excellent long-range loiterer.
Lynx FarScight
Less setup, more coverage.

That's a nice looking product. I can't find any pricing details though.

Reactions: KentA and BigAl07
That's a nice looking product. I can't find any pricing details though.
One of my Public Safety pals has used the original version for a couple of years and gave it a GLOWING review. Here is what he had to say about it today:

"We have the original Lynx, which is a great bird and platform. Their latest is a nice upgrade. They are going to run at least $6K, but they are tough, tough, tough."

One of my Public Safety pals has used the original version for a couple of years and gave it a GLOWING review. Here is what he had to say about it today:

"We have the original Lynx, which is a great bird and platform. Their latest is a nice upgrade. They are going to run at least $6K, but they are tough, tough, tough."

Interesting. I'd happily pay $6k for those capabilities.

Seriously, that's all? Your LE buddy needs any top of the line firearms, and wants to do a partial trade for the old model ....

I started flying drones here in Alaska this summer. That being said I’ve been lucky enuf to learn a lot about some mods that are huge in distance flights. I started out with a phantom 3 Pro flew it for a while stock then swooped up the Titan boosted antenna their are several to choose from although for AK and anyplace that’s not just open fields or water I would say the Atlas is a good choice. Boosted whip antennas are great they work awesome! Titan also makes a tactical box that works insanely well. Anyways long story short with that system it seems the only thing limiting your flight distance is time and battery power. I swooped up a inspire one version two and I’m boosting that controller with the Atlas system then doing battery mod and I see no reason it won’t go 15 to 20 miles, at 15 miles out that’s 30 round trip. Might I add this drone will go close to 80 mph after firmware rollback. It’s very doable you just have to buy the right products and pay the right people to mess with DJI’s lame firmware settings. I know I’m gonna get some heat for talking about firmware so please drone police just keep it to yourself. [emoji1316]

I know I’m gonna get some heat for talking about firmware so please drone police just keep it to yourself. [emoji1316]

It's a forum where people discuss topics.back and forth. If you're man enough to post it on the web you can bet it's going to be discussed even with your request otherwise. Just saying :)

Reactions: Bad Brad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart