Antenna Range Test - Omni Vs. Panels

Reaction score
Today was the first time that I've had the chance to test some of my new antennas for distance. I ordered the ARGtek (CLONE) a month or so back and have only flown around the house a bit. Today I went out to the river for a good distance test. To put it politely, the Clone ARGtek Flat Panels SUCKED! Open area, 2k-3k feet and RTH activated several times.

I then swapped out the CLONE ARGtek omni 10db 5.8 for the REAL ARGtek 10db 5.8 omni that I ordered from Blue Proton and put on the Amazon Generic 10db 2.4 Omnis. BINGO! 6286ft / 1915 meters on Omnis!

Second Flight - Alpha APA-M25 5.8 10db panel and the Alpha 2.4ghz 7dbi panels on the ARGtek clone mount
6,834ft / 2083 meters / 1.3 miles!!!!!!!!!!!! My farthest flight since I got my P3S on Christmas Day! Next order - two more APA-M25's and then maybe a couple of amps.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I get over 2000m regularly with just straight argtec system .... and Icarus sw.

I will be fitting boosters - but then will be careful about range because of getting back to home point.

Already I have had occasions of wind being stronger than expected and landing out with low battery after say a 2100m flight and a few fly-rounds.

When the boosters are fitted - I will test both flat and omni - but intend to generally use omni because as distance increases - directional aspect of panels becomes more important and difficult to be spot on to AC.

Nigel

I made up my mind last night. Going to order the DBS! I have to admit that I was beginning to wonder if I screwed up ordering the ARGtek kit. I was super excited to hit a mile with omnis and super excited to exceed my one mile mark that I had hit with the stock controller and parabolic. I was super nervous making the first flight out over a large body of water. I fought the wind yesterday and wouldn't have flown much further if I could have. The battery depleted allot faster than I had anticipated. I landed with 32% left, which isn't great considering that I can pretty easily get 5-6 miles on a calm day. Thanks for the input.

wow, interesting. My Itelite DBS with magic gets me out to a mile. That's all I want, a one mile radius. I bought Sunhans amps but never installed. Maybe in the future.

I love to fly farmland and waterways. I was really surprised yesterday that the oxbows on both sides of the river were over a mile across. Also makes for long videos, but I can get such great footage transitioning from land to water and back to land. I'm addicted! Ordering the DBS sometime this week (as soon as I sneak the order in my wife's absence) Lol. I'm comfortable with a 2 mile range. If I can achieve that, I'll be super happy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan