Another crash under my belt

Reaction score
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwN--XyELZE[/youtube]

Don't know why it isn't available in 1080p on youtube. It was filmed in 1080p @ 60 fps and unedited.

Story:

Just bought this Phantom 2 + Lightbridge setup and decided to take it out flying.

Everything seemed to be going well, I flew it for about 15 minutes at one location with no issues and then I went to a different location.

Upon reviewing the video it looks as though I descended too quickly and maybe suffered the effects of prop wash.

After the crash I tried using the remote to power off the props, but it wouldn't work. I shut off and restarted the remote (Futaba T8FG Super) several times and still couldn't turn them off. Had to manually shut off the phantom via the battery pack.

The controller issue leads me to believe that there may have been more at play than simply prop wash, as I was descending vertically and horizontally at the same time without issue, until a certain point when it lost control and began a downward spiral.

Luckily it looks like I will be able to fully repair the machine with $40 for a new HDMI Lightbridge cable and Gimbal cable.

Feel free to ask any questions or offer any advice.

When I was flying it, I didn't feel like my descent was that fast, but I was trying out new settings on a Futaba T8FG (previously I'd only used the stock Phantom 2 remote) and its automated-ish descent maybe had me overconfident.

Based on the video I highly suspect it was just prop wash, but with the weird lack of control on the transmitter, I am unsure. I would love to hear your thoughts! It also might be important to note that this was with the carbon fiber props and not the usual stock ones I am used to. After doing some reading it seems like they (the carbon fiber props) may have issues with descent?

This is the 2nd time I have crashed, both times were with separate birds, and probably both were operator error.

Looks like oscillations due to rapid descent to me....at least for a moment.

I had a rapid descent/oscillation hard landing once when I first got my P2. It looked and sounded a lot like yours on my video recording. First the prop sound began to waver, followed by loss of control. For part of the oscillating descent, the video picture remained stable, but eventually the oscillations became so extreme that the gimbal lost it. Thus, the remainder of the descent and landing were all wonky on the video.

Your's is different. I hear the wonky sound and a single oscillation or two. Then just rapid descent, but the image is stable.

The latest firmware supposedly has descent limits built in to prevent this (2 m/sec, I think). However, before the firmware upgrade was available, I used a paint pen to paint a dot on my control stick as an indicator for the stick position for safe descent. Believe me......it isn't very fast.

Case29247 said:
Looks like oscillations due to rapid descent to me....at least for a moment.

I had a rapid descent/oscillation hard landing once when I first got my P2. It looked and sounded a lot like yours on my video recording. First the prop sound began to waver, followed by loss of control. For part of the oscillating descent, the video picture remained stable, but eventually the oscillations became so extreme that the gimbal lost it. Thus, the remainder of the descent and landing were all wonky on the video.

Your's is different. I hear the wonky sound and a single oscillation or two. Then just rapid descent, but the image is stable.

The latest firmware supposedly has descent limits built in to prevent this (2 m/sec, I think). However, before the firmware upgrade was available, I used a paint pen to paint a dot on my control stick as an indicator for the stick position for safe descent. Believe me......it isn't very fast.

Thanks for the post!

Do you use a Futaba 8FG as well and have any pictures of the dot on your control stick?

I definitely think I updated the latest firmware on everything, but I may have missed something.

Case29247 said:
The latest firmware supposedly has descent limits built in to prevent this (2 m/sec, I think).
This has been the situation with all firmware for 6 months or more - not just the latest version.
What firmware is the problem Phantom running?
Unless it is a very old version, descent will be limited to 2 m/sec and VRS on descent is extremely unlikely.

Meta4 said:
Case29247 said:
The latest firmware supposedly has descent limits built in to prevent this (2 m/sec, I think).
This has been the situation with all firmware for 6 months or more - not just the latest version.
What firmware is the problem Phantom running?
Unless it is a very old version, descent will be limited to 2 m/sec and VRS on descent is extremely unlikely.

When I return home on Friday I'll be able to check for sure, but I definitely thought I had updated all the firmware.

If not VRS from descent, what could the problem be?

I picked up a Lightbridge system for for one of my P2's and have been scared to put it on as it doubles the value and i have personally had 2 fly away's and been with my flying buddy witnessing him have 2 as well.

If i install that Lightbridge and it flys away im going Eric Cheng crazy and its not gonna be nice lol

eckoner said:
I picked up a Lightbridge system for for one of my P2's and have been scared to put it on as it doubles the value and i have personally had 2 fly away's and been with my flying buddy witnessing him have 2 as well.

If i install that Lightbridge and it flys away im going Eric Cheng crazy and its not gonna be nice lol

if it's any consolation, I've crashed twice and the total repair cost was less than $50 from the combined two accidents.

So long as you can locate where the bird goes down, they seem to be fairly durable.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl