Amateur Insurance in the UK

Reaction score
Can any experienced amateur pilots in the UK advise on the best quotes for insuring a drone against damage, but crucially for third party liability. I realise that one should take the correct safety precautions in advance, and pre assess one's ability as to the difficulty of flight foreseen. Are there financial advantages to be gained with any form of amateur certification of proficiency that may help?

I'm currently looking into a million dollar umbrella policy. Not specifically for drone flying, but I think most policies would cover drone damage to persons or property.

One of the national model associates, sorry can't recall which has it as part of membership, cost i think is around £30 pa.

Reactions: rbarry12
One of the national model associates, sorry can't recall which has it as part of membership, cost i think is around £30 pa.

If you use that one ask to view their policy, I was about to pay but when I checked the policy it had expired and the company they used was on the verge of closure. To be fair the contact did say they were in the process of getting a new policy but I didn't want to pay any sum for a policy that had expired.

I have 'amateur' insurance with BMFA - I have a 'country' membership and this costs me around £30.00 per annum. That covers me up to a total of £25,000,000 (!). Well worth having, you get your BMFA membership card, you get an insurance policy document (which you can show to people who start yelling 'Are you insured with that bloody thing?!') and you get a magazine every quarter. Good investment and worth having, hopefully you will never need it but if you hit into a power line, then bring the cable down and cut off everyones electric for 2 hours, you may not like the size of the bill you could (potentially) be sent. This would cover that.

I joined What is FPV UK? - FPV UK - they have an umbrella policy that is currently valid until the end of the year and I see no reason it will not be renewed as normal.

I ignored the BMFA as they appear, on the surface, to be a bunch of old geezers in sheds who are threatened by quads and other new fangled things.

Right - contacted BMFA about my Country Membership, which cost me just over £30.00 this year. This covers me for all sorts of third party claims, up to £25M. That's a lot of claims. Sdharris suggested that their insurance may have stopped / become expired - nope, this is not the case. They think this may be a confusion about how the BMFA founder is fighting against a 'potential' ruling by the EU that only members of flying clubs will be allowed to fly drones. This he is fighting (along with all other people who have an ounce of common sense, so obviously excludes anyone working in Brussels) and it would only be IF they passed this law that it would impact my BMFA insurance. But to go back to the original question by rbarry: both BMFA and (apparently) FPV UK can sort you out with insurance. Peter: I don't agree with your assessment of BMFA but each to their own, I have never had to make a claim so can't comment on the quality of the insurance I have.

Sdharris suggested that their insurance may have stopped / become expired - nope, this is not the case

I didn't specify when I checked, and it was last year so glad they got it resolved. They were very polite by email and explained the situation and to be honest I will go with either solution in the near future.

In terms of bunch of old geezers in sheds then I am not sure if you have looked around but we are pretty much the modern day equivalent ;-)

Reactions: shazstar

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart