Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Am I Lucky Or What?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Dean Ing, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Dean Ing

1 week and 1 hour and 25+ hours of searching. I FOUND IT! Mine did a flyaway (a REAL one) after a real hell of a sudden storm hit from nowhere. I went to home lock and just as it got to the 10m limit off it went East with gale force winds with no chance of bringing it back so I tried just to orient back to me while I still had OSD and failed. Here is the journey!

2. terrylowe

It covered quite a distance! How did you narrow down your search zone?

Congrats on the recovery!

3. Timmydz

Wow, you're lucky!!! Lost a P2V+ on 4th of July, have looked for it countless hours, no dice. Got a new P2 w/ FPV and P3S now, have searched using them as well still nothing. I never fly w/o Trackimo anymore. I was sooooo mad about it when it happened, it still bothers me. The worst part for me was my tracker arrived 2 days after I lost it, if only I had waited.

Glad ya found yours man!!! Get a tracker of some sorts just in case there is ever a next time.

4. Dean Ing

A tracker is on it's way and not flying until fitted and tested. So sorry you never found yours Timmydz!

5. Dean Ing

Terry In my search I found 2 eyewitnesses that gave me a pretty good idea of the trajectory, so finally I was able to go on google earth and figured it had to have come down on one of 3 properties and it was found bang on my trajectory. We have had the biggest rainfall on record the week it was gone, pulled apart and not a drop inside and all working perfectly. I might buy a lotto ticket this week.

6. regdawg

What tracker did you guys get

7. Gary E

Marco Polo tracker is self contained, thus, it does need cell service to be useable. Hope I never have to use it.

8. Gary E

Glad you found it. That or those (can't tell how many by the herky jerky video) storm cells are fairly obvious to see. As a licensed pilot, we are taught to give storm cells a 20 mile space as they can have that much influence.

#8 Gary E, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Dean Ing likes this.
  9. JKDSensei

MarcoPolo is good, but if you don't want to spend about $200.00 a TK102B GPS tracker can be had for about $20 (plus 10 bucks every 3 months for cellular service for it) or a TK109 GPS tracker.

Both work exceptional well and are accurate to within about 5 feet or so.

Only drawback is it won't work if there is no cellular service.

Gary E likes this.
  10. Gary E

Yes, it is much less up front cost. But, where I operate in Oregon, cell service is patchy and in most cases, non-existent. Something to consider when deciding which one to utilize. City slickers likely don't need the self-contained style of tracker.

JKDSensei likes this.
  11. JKDSensei

Urban stooges. like me ;-) Wanting to move to a quieter place tho.

I find it amazing how many people still fly their $500 - $2500 toys with no tracking device whatsoever.

12. Timmydz

I went with the Trackimo. All in $100. Works very well. Came with sim card as well.