Airspace Authorization Wait Times?

Reaction score
There's an event I want to photograph that is ongoing but also temporal. An ice jam has formed in the Delaware River near Trenton NJ and I'd like to photograph it. I am a certified Part 107 operator.
The location is on the boarder of TTN class D airspace and my operation would be both within and beyond the controlled airspace.
Yesterday evening, I submitted an airspace authorization request through FAADroneZone.faa.gov. I put in for a 7 day window operating from dawn until dusk. As this is a weather phenomena, the opportunity to fly and record the event is fleeting.
In that regard, how long is it taking to receive airspace authorizations through the online system (not waivers which I understand to be more rigorously evaluated)?
-M

My last Authorization took 103 days I believe and it was an "Easy" one.

If you are going to be "Working" in this area you should have requests in at least 90 days prior to any events. Most commercial operations have long since submitted requests for all areas they might be flying in regionally.

My last Authorization took 103 days I believe and it was an "Easy" one.

If you are going to be "Working" in this area you should have requests in at least 90 days prior to any events. Most commercial operations have long since submitted requests for all areas they might be flying in regionally.

103 days for an authorization not a waiver?

7 different authorizations requested on September 21st with no approvals yet. All pretty easy authorization requests...

Any job requiring airspace authorization may as well be passed up at this point unless it's something that's been scheduled a year in advance.

I've been waiting since mid July 2017 for Surface Class E authorization. Their 90 day window is BS.

Reactions: weldor
Any job requiring airspace authorization may as well be passed up at this point unless it's something that's been scheduled a year in advance.

I've been waiting since mid July 2017 for Surface Class E authorization. Their 90 day window is BS.

I think something has happened to yours. You may need to reach out to the FAA about your submissions.

I think something has happened to yours. You may need to reach out to the FAA about your submissions.

Do you how I would go about contacting them? The reference number that I was sent to check the status of my application does nothing but garner a generic response from the FAA. This was my most recent response as of last week.

Hello,
Unfortunately, a substantial update is not available for your requests. They are currently in the queue of applications being processed. At the moment, we do not have a timeframe of when they will be completed. Due to the volume of applications received, it is taking longer than 90 days to provide responses but we are processing applications as quickly as possible to improve the wait time.

Unfortunately, this is the exact same response that I received about two months ago.

Unfortunately, this is the exact same response that I received about two months ago.

At least you got a response. I did not.

After waiting over 140 days for an airspace authorization in the same place as two previous ones I received a Rejected email stating my requested time frame had come & gone. Not even a "Hey, want to change the dates, seeing how they are now in the past?" That would have been nice.

I had even emailed them about changing the date range 10 days before the rejection. Nothing. I guess that's one way to help clear out the backlog.

That they do not have any pre-processing and not an estimate (hey a 5th grader can do the calc's) is beyond belief. A computer program to look at the database, see how many per day / week are processed, predict and email on a bi-weekly schedule updates ... would take me less than a week to implement. Seriously.

This is from another forum (Commercial Drone Pilots) but the information might help some here as well:

Just posted to the other thread re: FAA Airspace Authorization. But wanted to share some advice here. I had a few requests go into the 100+ days. So I got on the phone and started calling anyone who would listen. A class D airspace ATC manager connected me with the FAA UAS manager. A few phone calls with him and he was able to speed up a few of my requests. Seems like they got stuck in the old portal when their trying to start up the new portal.

Anyway, giving a call might help get you flying those jobs.
https://directory.faa.gov/appsPub/N...nt&5/AOA-001/AJO-0/AJV-0/AJV-1/AJV-115&ZV=I11

Here is the reply I received today from my request for updates from my mid September application. Sound like they are pretty back logged....

Hello,

Unfortunately, a substantial update is not available for your requests. Your airspace waiver requests are currently in our queue. At the moment, it is taking up to a year, or longer, to provide a response to airspace waivers.

In the future, you have the option to apply for a wide area airspace authorization rather than an airspace waiver. An airspace authorization is the most direct and efficient way to request access to controlled airspace. Authorizations can be for a specific location or for broad areas governed by a single ATC jurisdiction, thus accommodating the vast majority of requests for airspace access under § 107.41.

Kind Regards,

ATO Part 107 Authorization and Waiver Team

ATO Emerging Technologies Team

Federal Aviation Administration

Well, I was just finally approved after 140 some days.

I actually got approved for three locations and this was for Surface Class E. Two of the locations were set to a hard limit of 0ft on the UAS Facility Map. However, my authorization allows me to fly up to 70ft.

Interesting. I applied for one in December, so I'm approaching the 90 days now. But there's a little confusion as to whether I'm actually in an area that requires authorization. I'm right ON the eight-mile ring of class B. But DJI go app doesn't keep the bird grounded and a few of my UAV apps don't even show the eight-mile ring...just the 5-mile ring of the airport. I'm tempted to just call the local FAA flight office and see if they can clarify. Though I don't want to figuratively and literally get on their radar as the neighborhood I'm in will likely provide half of my income once it's spring. About 70% of the homes here have water views and that's what real estate agents are looking for in their listing photos. Had a phone call Tuesday to take a listing photo in clearly legal airspace, which gets me thinking the demand for my services is going to be huge. Yes, 107-certified. I've flown recreational missions from my home and in the local neighborhoods, but don't plan on doing any work until approved.

**One quick question, if this area is a perpetual flight zone for me, should I approach ATC and my local FAA flight office to get a longterm authorization at a set height? I only need to be up about 200 feet to get the images required for real estate listings.

Thanks for reading all this and for your help in advance.

J

Interesting. I applied for one in December, so I'm approaching the 90 days now. But there's a little confusion as to whether I'm actually in an area that requires authorization. I'm right ON the eight-mile ring of class B. But DJI go app doesn't keep the bird grounded and a few of my UAV apps don't even show the eight-mile ring...just the 5-mile ring of the airport. I'm tempted to just call the local FAA flight office and see if they can clarify. Though I don't want to figuratively and literally get on their radar as the neighborhood I'm in will likely provide half of my income once it's spring. About 70% of the homes here have water views and that's what real estate agents are looking for in their listing photos. Had a phone call Tuesday to take a listing photo in clearly legal airspace, which gets me thinking the demand for my services is going to be huge. Yes, 107-certified. I've flown recreational missions from my home and in the local neighborhoods, but don't plan on doing any work until approved.

**One quick question, if this area is a perpetual flight zone for me, should I approach ATC and my local FAA flight office to get a longterm authorization at a set height? I only need to be up about 200 feet to get the images required for real estate listings.

J

I wouldn't bother with ATC until your waiver specifically says that you need to contact them before each flight. IIRC, the goal is to have the LAANC system installed by Sept. 2018 for instant authorizations. My airspace authorization ends on Sept 30th, 2018 so I'm going to just put in for another authorization since it's taking so long and I don't trust the FAA to have instant authorization in every airport by then.

What does the UAS Facility Map say in regards to the height restrictions of where you want to fly? Also, did you fill out your authorization through the new FAA Drone Portal website?
ArcGIS Web Application

One quick question, if this area is a perpetual flight zone for me, should I approach ATC and my local FAA flight office to get a longterm authorization at a set height? I only need to be up about 200 feet to get the images required for real estate listings.

J

No need to approach ATC as they have been "strongly" instructed to refer all airspace requests to the online portal. Up until last fall many towers would still grant verbal authorization but I've not heard of any at all recently.

Check out the AirSpace grid for the area in question and this will give you a rough idea of what they are most likely to "easily" approve. If your submission exceeds those altitudes it may get denied or they might call and ask if you will "accept" a modified approval.

Here's a link to the FAA 's sUAS Facilities Mad. Zoom in on the area in question and see if they have a grid for it yet.

But DJI go app doesn't keep the bird grounded and a few of my UAV apps don't even show the eight-mile ring...just the 5-mile ring of the airport.

Most likely the app was set to "hobby" mode and had no idea that the Boston Class B inner surface to 7,000 ring extends out further.

Reactions: BigAl07
7 different authorizations requested on September 21st with no approvals yet. All pretty easy authorization requests...
Did you ever get them? I applied for two CoAs on October 18 here it is the end of February and I’m still waiting

I just got mine approved from Dec 1.....2 days short of 3 months. Good news is they extended it through September 30, well beyond my requested time period.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl