Airnest - Looking for Beta Testers

Looking forward to trying your app.

Interesting...we fly our aerial for a nationally syndicated golf show and it looks like it might be a handy piece of software to use.

It's a great piece of software and I have had a blast trying it out over the last couple of months. I'm not sure how the FAA is going to be happy with is because it's potentially not flying LOS so it would go against current 333 Regs but that's a whole other can of worms that I'm not getting into :) LOL

I look forward to seeing how LOS is handled with pending regulations etc.

The 333 Regs could create an issue. However, when we are using our unit and filming, we hardly ever fly 30 feet above ground level.

The 333 Regs could create an issue. However, when we are using our unit and filming, we hardly ever fly 30 feet above ground level.
Does Airnest adjust elevation (AGL) using GPS or barometer, or does it just use launch point for reference?

Does Airnest adjust elevation (AGL) using GPS or barometer, or does it just use launch point for reference?

It uses the launch point elevation AGL for the entire flight. It doesn't adjust to go up/down hills etc. If you set it to fly at 20' AGL (above the launch point) and your path is directly into a hill that's 50' tall then your aircraft is going to have a sudden impact with terrafirma about 20' up the side of that 50' hill.

It uses the launch point elevation AGL for the entire flight. It doesn't adjust to go up/down hills etc. If you set it to fly at 20' AGL (above the launch point) and your path is directly into a hill that's 50' tall then your aircraft is going to have a sudden impact with terrafirma about 20' up the side of that 50' hill.
I wonder if there are plans to make it adjust, as Autopilot already does on 'follow me'?

I realised that when filming at Bodiam (see Justin's compilation video). I started at 100ft and ended at 400ft. As it set off it dawned on me that the castle is set on a hill and that by the time the quad had reached 180degs on the circuit it would have grounded if I hadn't used the height change feature. More luck than judgement! I too would like to see the quad monitor its height as it flies so desired height is current rather that referred to take off position.

At the moment, the app restricts sites with a positive gradient to 350ft or so.

few questions.

is there an actual manual to this app? or just this: Airnest

do we need to have an active internet connection to draw on the map? (i cant see how this would work without internet)

The quick start guides for now, This weekend we are going to try to shoot several how to videos to explain everything as detailed as possible. We are open to feedback!

You need internet connection to cache the map, after the tiles are loaded you dont need it. You can test this now by connecting with the app, letting the tiles load where you want to fly, then go into airport mode and they will still be there but not anywhere else.

Thanks,

Justin

The quick start guides for now, This weekend we are going to try to shoot several how to videos to explain everything as detailed as possible. We are open to feedback!

You need internet connection to cache the map, after the tiles are loaded you dont need it. You can test this now by connecting with the app, letting the tiles load where you want to fly, then go into airport mode and they will still be there but not anywhere else.

Thanks,

Justin

would i be able to load 'tiles' of a remote location? for example, say im going to the woods, and theres no internet connection at all. would i be able to load tiles for this location at my house on wifi, and then have them available to me?

would i be able to load 'tiles' of a remote location? for example, say im going to the woods, and theres no internet connection at all. would i be able to load tiles for this location at my house on wifi, and then have them available to me?

Yes you can, there are apple imposed limits as to how much can be cached but you can test it now with airport mode. For instance here is a screen shot I just took. My current location is the tiny square at the top, before going into airport mode I loaded the tiles from a location about 5 miles south of me. When I went into airport mode with no internet connection you can see that those tiles at the bottom are still there.

IMG_2509.jpg

I realised that when filming at Bodiam (see Justin's compilation video). I started at 100ft and ended at 400ft. As it set off it dawned on me that the castle is set on a hill and that by the time the quad had reached 180degs on the circuit it would have grounded if I hadn't used the height change feature. More luck than judgement! I too would like to see the quad monitor its height as it flies so desired height is current rather that referred to take off position.

At the moment, the app restricts sites with a positive gradient to 350ft or so.

Nice video you made there.

There's no way to measure AGL from a phantom 3 (other than sonar less than 3m). You'd need a radar altimeter which requires much more weight and energy to use. The other alternative is a 3D map but that requires more memory and processing power and even then you're limited to a resolution ranging from 30m x 30m to 90m x 90m per elevation point, and even that isn't going to include a tree or man made structure.

I'm curious with 3rd party apps, how do I take over control of my drone, or switch to the DJI app? Is it the same for all 3rd party apps? Or does DJI let 3rd party apps take over any switch on my remote? I'm terrified that for each new app I try I'll have to use a different method on the RC to take over manual control of my drone if the app fails.

I'm curious with 3rd party apps, how do I take over control of my drone, or switch to the DJI app? Is it the same for all 3rd party apps? Or does DJI let 3rd party apps take over any switch on my remote? I'm terrified that for each new app I try I'll have to use a different method on the RC to take over manual control of my drone if the app fails.

The fail safe for taking over manual control on any 3rd party app is to switch the RC into a or p mode. If that doesn't work then it is a glitch with the drone not the app. This is a DJI fail safe.

Reactions: mirrorimage
Nice video you made there.

There's no way to measure AGL from a phantom 3 (other than sonar less than 3m). You'd need a radar altimeter which requires much more weight and energy to use. The other alternative is a 3D map but that requires more memory and processing power and even then you're limited to a resolution ranging from 30m x 30m to 90m x 90m per elevation point, and even that isn't going to include a tree or man made structure.

Autopilot's 'follow me' mode uses the device's GPS to determine altitude (if the device does not have a barometer). It is obviously not as accurate, but all my tests have shown it to be adequate. I would have thought that the quad's GPS could be utilised in a similar fashion?

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
The fail safe for taking over manual control on any 3rd party app is to switch the RC into a or p mode. If that doesn't work then it is a glitch with the drone not the app. This is a DJI fail safe.

Thanks for clearing up. I've used 3rd party apps, just wasn't sure if this was universal. Couldn't tell when I poured over the iOS SDK.

App looks great will buy!

Reactions: Justin Miller
Autopilot's 'follow me' mode uses the device's GPS to determine altitude (if the device does not have a barometer). It is obviously not as accurate, but all my tests have shown it to be adequate. I would have thought that the quad's GPS could be utilised in a similar fashion?
I thought something like Autopilot did this.

How about it Justin?

Perhaps I'm missing the whole point of this; but I thought Man.of.Kent was wondering if there was a way to keep a given altitude above the ground to avoid flying into hills; (like he inadvertently didn't) and I was just trying to point out that wasn't possible with a Phantom 3 or Inspire.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor