After a year, Here are my fav pics.

Reaction score
So I've had my DJI phantom 4 for almost a year and I figured I would share some of my favorite shots. I'm addicted to this thing. I recently passed my FAA part 107 and I have officially started an aerial photography business! What do you all think?

c10390127e2a7b1bd880d11928bda95a.jpg
ec4365a7fca055b27f6315efadc5d33a.jpg
811f1f71bed6ac0747918ca553063460.jpg
f0cf469ec92a1d0d02c1fc9846d0f5cb.jpg
fdc4a46a125ff126c6edfec73e734544.jpg
66909202adeff17e854abd234eef7bf7.jpg
912cd8423afcdf8ae107d3beeb356a03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: desert phantom
Cool photographs best of luck on the new adventure.

One question I have is what about liability insurance? I too have my 107 license and want to start but am concerned about liability.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Did you use a filter on any of them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually on all of those pictures I never used a filter. I just recently got into filters and I'm experimenting with them now. Which is been kind of difficult in Connecticut dealing with continually overcast skies and a **** load of snow everywhere!

Pics are nice enough, but there is room for improvement. I'll begin with the obvious; tilted horizons, which are easily made perfectly horizontal. Tilted horizons scream to me, which is why I mention this. Interestingly, the horizons in several of your photos are tilted in the same direction, suggesting that your gimbal may require calibration, or perhaps a small tweak.

My final nit regards your composition. Horizons dead center of the frame restrict visual tension, instead of my eyes moving nicely across the images, they're fixated in the same place. The Rule of Thirds and The Golden Ratio are useful compositional aids. That's just me. As the photographer, you decide what goes where, which is something I respect. My critique regarding your composition is purely subjective, and you did ask...

On to the good stuff... You've done a good job with exposure, white balance, saturation, noise suppression, and stuff like that.

I only mention this because you're transforming your passion into your living.I believe that, if you're planning on using these images in your portfolio, a prospective client, or a nit-picking creative director, would see in a moment those things that I have mentioned. Tilted horizons and the such will hurt you in your pocket. You can trust me on this, I've done commercial photography for many years, and I understand what clients expect. I've learned the hard way. I spent the first year of my photography career living off my credit cards. Eventually I figured it out, but it took a while before I began to see a profit.

Trust me on this single thing; nit-picking creative directors (which is all of them) can be a royal pain in the you-know-what. You should prepare yourself for that...

Besides the doom and gloom, Congratulations! I wish you well.

Cheers,
rc

Reactions: AlecW
Pics are nice enough, but there is room for improvement. I'll begin with the obvious; tilted horizons, which are easily made perfectly horizontal. Tilted horizons scream to me, which is why I mention this. Interestingly, the horizons in several of your photos are tilted in the same direction, suggesting that your gimbal may require calibration, or perhaps a small tweak.
Tilted horizon bug me and always have long before drones were up there taking pictures. 2 seconds in virtually any photo editing software could have fixed 1000s of otherwise great pictures. It's just they way I am, maybe a little OCD I guess some people don't even notice.

Tilted horizon bug me and always have long before drones were up there taking pictures. 2 seconds in virtually any photo editing software could have fixed 1000s of otherwise great pictures. It's just they way I am, maybe a little OCD I guess some people don't even notice.
I've been shooting wildlife with my good friend for many years. He shoots a 1DX, primarily with the 800 f/5.6L IS, which is the best wildlife rig that money can buy, and he knows how to use it. I shoot more affordable gear, a 7D2 with 300 f/2.8L, and a pair of teleconverters. That's the best I could afford, and it's a seriously good wildlife rig.

I'll shoot something nice, then process with ACR, from there it goes into PS CS6. I'll be quite content with the final result. I show the print to my buddy, who may inform me that there is an obvious problem with technical processing and/or an obvious compositional flaw.

The thing is that I missed something that was obvious once I knew where to look. After all the years of honing my craft I still miss something obvious, the point being that I learn by doing.

It sort of sucks that I'm willing to critique the work of others while I miss flaws in my own work, but I call 'em as I see 'em. I hope that I never stop learning.

I was recently asked to show my very best image. My reply was that I haven't shot it yet. This has been said before (by an individual who really understands the human condition), and I use it here, as it applies to everything I do.

I hope the OP wasn't offended by my comments.

Cheers,
rc

Last edited:

My final nit regards your composition. Horizons dead center of the frame restrict visual tension, instead of my eyes moving nicely across the images, they're fixated in the same place. The Rule of Thirds and The Golden Ratio are useful compositional aids. That's just me. As the photographer, you decide what goes where, which is something I respect. My critique regarding your composition is purely subjective, and you did ask...

On to the good stuff... You've done a good job with exposure, white balance, saturation, noise suppression, and stuff like that.

I only mention this because you're transforming your passion into your living.I believe that, if you're planning on using these images in your portfolio, a prospective client, or a nit-picking creative director, would see in a moment those things that I have mentioned. Tilted horizons and the such will hurt you in your pocket. You can trust me on this, I've done commercial photography for many years, and I understand what clients expect. I've learned the hard way. I spent the first year of my photography career living off my credit cards. Eventually I figured it out, but it took a while before I began to see a profit.

Trust me on this single thing; nit-picking creative directors (which is all of them) can be a royal pain in the you-know-what. You should prepare yourself for that...

Besides the doom and gloom, Congratulations! I wish you well.

Cheers,
rc

Thank you very much. I like the constructive criticism especially coming from somebody who's been doing this for a while!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl