Advice Re Invoice from DJI following Crash

Reaction score
Hi Everyone- could really use some sound counsel. Last week - a few days before DJI announced DJI Care - I crashed my drone (like an idiot into a tree on a farm no harm to anyone except my pride).

I sent it back hearing that DJI had been really good about repairs even in crashes. This evening, I got a bill for $640.00. They will replace the upper shell, bottom cover, landing gear, main control module and Main board. There is no mention that the camera, gimbal or motors are being replaced or the ESC's which I heard are really the critical part.
Not sure that the cost of the repair is worth it unless I'm essentially getting a new drone out of this deal.
I've sent DJI an email requesting they let me buy into the insurance retroactively- haven't heard back yet.

Any
43cb2d61df16437b9833b1c1ba598a6d.jpg
help really appreciated.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would just buy a new one then you will even have a extra battery

I doubt you can buy insurance retroactively. Or else, everyone will be doing it. If the gimbal/camera is not damaged, it is worth $$$ on eBay. For what they are quoting you, you are better off buying another brand new P3P.

With the P3P down to 999, I would order one of those, then sell its RC and your old P3 for parts. You should be able to recover at the VERY LEAST $400-500, enough to pay for the difference between a repair and new P3!

Buy new and recoup what you can from the wreck. Save your pride and time in looking for a backdate on the insurance deal. You are wasting your time there.

btw- re ESC's- they are on the main board.

I got a bill for $640.00. They will replace the upper shell, bottom cover, landing gear, main control module and Main board. There is no mention that the camera, gimbal or motors are being replaced or the ESC's which I heard are really the critical part.
Not sure that the cost of the repair is worth it unless I'm essentially getting a new drone
The ESCs are part of the main board.
Sounds like you would be pretty well getting a new drone except for your motors and gimbal/camera

With the P3P down to 999, I would order one of those, then sell its RC and your old P3 for parts. You should be able to recover at the VERY LEAST $400-500, enough to pay for the difference between a repair and new P3!

THIS 100%
If I were in your spot, I'd have them send it back.. Buy a new one at $999 and part out what you have left on Ebay.. You may come out better than you think.

Thanks everyone - sounds like very good advice. How do I determine and then represent that the camera and gimbal are ok - aside from the fact that DJI didn't indicate it would be replaced? I had a gimbal guard on it which I think helped in the fall from the tree. The wires were pulled from it and the vibration board was broken, a little grass scuff, but other than that - ok.
342ae8ded2237d1300b92417b3faa903.jpg
12746e07c2ad670d1e341eae293337fe.jpg

Let me ask a stupid question... is it still under warranty? The reason I ask is that my P3P is under warranty until May. I had a crash and needed repair work on it in mid December. They sent me a bill for around $575, pending warranty coverage. Guess what? After a few days, I checked and they said the warranty will cover the repairs. I ended up getting a new Phantom back... I could tell from the new motors. So my advice is just hang tight for a few days and then give them a call. You may just be surprised.

Let me ask a stupid question... is it still under warranty? The reason I ask is that my P3P is under warranty until May. I had a crash and needed repair work on it in mid December. They sent me a bill for around $575, pending warranty coverage. Guess what? After a few days, I checked and they said the warranty will cover the repairs. I ended up getting a new Phantom back... I could tell from the new motors. So my advice is just hang tight for a few days and then give them a call. You may just be surprised.
He just told the world that he flew into a tree, now you advise him to try and defraud DJI via a warranty claim?????

He just told the world that he flew into a tree, now you advise him to try and defraud DJI via a warranty claim?????

I NEVER advised him to lie or defraud DJI. Please read my reply again. I simply told him to give it a few days and see what DJI says. They've covered a repair for me when it was clearly my fault under warranty so like I said, he may be pleasantly surprised.

Yes - still under warranty- no, I didn't take away that you were recommending defrauding DJI. If DJI wishes to cover it under warranty and good will, then great. I was very clear with DJI that I lost depth perception on the flight and crashed into a tree on a poi flight. My bad, yep. Pilot error.

Thanks - the wires pulled out of the gimbal board - when I get it back, I guess I'll just try to plug them back in. (???)

I would just buy a new P3P now that they are $999. If you or anybody you know is a teacher you can get an additional 10% off using the DJI Educational discount.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl