Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Advice For Testing an Open Box P3A

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by DigitalKnight, Jun 10, 2016.

1. DigitalKnight

Hi all,

I just bagged an open box P3A from Micro Center for $566 that was sold as "complete" and with full warranty and 30 day refund.

I looked it over carefully and couldn't see any obvious flaws, and it has all the accessories. Four props looked used, but only because they didn't have the plastic like the other four unused props. Otherwise they look brand new.

I'll charge everything and check it out with the app and such, but what else would the community recommend to make sure an open box return is in excellent shape?

Thanks.

-Brad
    Rocky Mountain Phantom
    Colorado Springs, CO USA

Sent from my LG V10 using TapaTalk for Android.

2. Numone

Well, check it for cracking around the motor mounts and any other damage. Do the normal pre-flight checks and when you've linked to the Go App, you'll be able to see the number of times the battery's been charged so that'll give some indication of the amount of times it's been used. Other than that, get it in the air and enjoy your bargain!

DigitalKnight likes this.
  3. Reed L

Start it up inside with the props off and check the go-app, look at every page, every setting and the number of charges like mentioned above. If it has 0 charges, then it's a new battery. If everything checks out and the motors start up and look good then I would check the balance of the props. If they have the plastic off and look dirty, like they've been used or tweaked in a crash then it's your call. If they look like they have been even slightly crashed then I would just toss'em. Also check the threads because they may have been put on the wrong motor and forced, so there's a lot to look for just with the props and the balance could be way off. Or you could just start with the known new props, balance them and take off. Also look at the camera, gimbal and camera mounts and make sure that the white rubber shocks are not ripped or torn. Then check the battery connections for any corrosion or discoloration and clean them good with DeoxIt Gold if not Regular DeoxIt first and then the gold.

#3 Reed L, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    DigitalKnight and Numone like this.
  4. alokbhargava

1. Most delicate part it's gimbal and cam. Check videos quality.

2. Check its stability during flights

3. Check if you can fly to 2000' or so.

5. DigitalKnight

Will any USB to micro USB cable (like the charging cable from a P3S or Android charging cable) work to connect the phone/tablet to the controller? In my excitement to check the bird over, I didn't notice there was no USB cable or anti-drop kit parts. Micro Center advertised it as complete, so I'm going to see if they will toss in those items. If not, no biggie, as long as the USB cable needed isn't proprietary.

Thanks for the suggestions, they're much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. DigitalKnight

Or a standard Lightning charging cable for an iPad...?

Sent from my LG V10 using TapaTalk for Android.

7. Reed L

Yup

8. Andrea

Yes, no worries, a standard USB cable (standard to micro) will do the job.
    Pick up a short one.