Advice and Concerns

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to drones and have been doing A LOT of research on what drone to buy and I have been leaning hard towards the P4P Obsidian (love the color over white) but the more I dig in DJI the more horror stories I am reading about the very poor customer service from them. Is this a founded fear to stay away from DJI or not to worry...also I was going to buy a bundle package on Amazon and I see some reviews there that are hit or miss on the quality of the accessories. Where did you guys buy or what do you recommend?

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in DJI quadcopters.
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Hi all,

I am new to drones and have been doing A LOT of research on what drone to buy and I have been leaning hard towards the P4P Obsidian (love the color over white) but the more I dig in DJI the more horror stories I am reading about the very poor customer service from them. Is this a founded fear to stay away from DJI or not to worry...also I was going to buy a bundle package on Amazon and I see some reviews there that are hit or miss on the quality of the accessories. Where did you guys buy or what do you recommend?
There are many models available from DJI, you got to decide your first model and then go for it.

Its surprising that I never faced any issue with the models I bought from DJI, may be I was lucky, may be I knew how to handle them, may be I knew how to update the FW but whatever the reason, touch wood, I didn't face any issue which was not solvable.

You can order directly on DJI or on Amazon, its your choice, I always bought it directly from DJI.

You got to have lots of patience, read available documentation thoroughly and ask questions on the forum before flying or whenever you see any issue. These are expensive toys but give lots of fun if used correctly.

Best wishes.

Hello @Jaguar75 and welcome to the forum.

I urge you to take all the "negative" posts etc in stride and understand that we usually come to forums to complain and seek guidance. It's rare someone takes the time to join a forum just to tell about the good experience they've had. It does happen (you can use the Search function and see what I'm talking about).

I bought on Amazon directly from DJI. Received my phantom 4 in 5 days. There has been complaints about DJI customer service. They maybe getting better. They have authorized dealers you can go through for repairs. Many people are now just getting State Farm insurance for $30 - $75. Cheaper then DJI Warranty if crashed or lost. DJI makes the best drones, so buy it. Get the phantom, batteries and good nd filters. Go from there and you can’t go wrong. Apple will give you the best results for a mobile screen. Check the list for compatibility.

In my Opinion a White Drone is much easier to find IF its a fly away.and they do happen !........its much easier to see in the air too...and actually in the heat of the hot summer sun...the internals stay cooler too including the battery !......I own a P3 SE and love it........I flew a "Toy" drone for many months before i purchased my Phantom at a local store...These Dji drones are a long long way from the toy $54.00 i flew it had No good camera No gps and I had to fly it all the time...But i got flight experience before i got my Phantom P3SE ! that might be a good idea for you..before you spend BIG BIG hard earned Bucks ! theirs others here on this forum that also got experience with a el Cheap "o".. drone too And good Luck on what ever you decide !

Welcome to PhantomPilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

the more I dig in DJI the more horror stories I am reading about the very poor customer service from them. Is this a founded fear to stay away from DJI or not to worry
DJI makes great consumer drones (the best available as of today). Another perk is that there are large communities (like this one) that make it easy to find help when needed. People love to share horror stories and rarely spend time to share stories when things all work as expected (which is what most people are experiencing).

I was going to buy a bundle package on Amazon and I see some reviews there that are hit or miss on the quality of the accessories.
Bundles can be a good way to save money if you're going to use everything that comes in the bundle. If you're not going to use everything in the bundle, then try pricing out the accessories you actually need separately to see if it's a better deal to buy the drone and accessories separately.

Where did you guys buy or what do you recommend?
I like to buy from DJI or an authorized DJI dealer. That way I know I'm getting a new product, the product will be delivered safely to my doorstep, and DJI will honor their warranty since the product is being sold by an authorized party.

FYI, if you decide to purchase a Phantom on Amazon (a great place to buy), I keep a list of authorized DJI dealers with obsidian P4Ps in stock here:

Buy A DJI Phantom (Deals Updated Daily)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic