About to drop some serious $

WELL, Phantom Pilot Police.......My sincere apologies for informing someone that is in their words " thinking about getting into drones" and is new to all of this. So, in an effort to inform an new member about everything involved before they drop a grand or two just to find out later they need to have a special license. Or worse yet finding out the hard way with fines. So my deepest apologies that I brought some information to the table at a FORUM.

Oh trust me i have alot more expensive hobbies that required a license before i could even press the PTT, key or operate. Gota love the FCC

My first crash and it was all my fault.... Thats what i get for disabling the safeties and not playing close attention... Nice dent on topside of unit, battery was ejected, 3 rotors unserviceable, front led cover ejected and my pride damaged. But 2 days later i laugh and shake my head about it. Smile cause I dont think think this will be my last.

I was reading an article by a guy who's been flying commercially for many many years, supposedly quite an expert. Here was his quote about drone Pilots :
" there are only two kinds of drone Pilots, those that HAVE crashed and those that haven't crashed, YET "

Reactions: BenMara
I was reading an article by a guy who's been flying commercially for many many years, supposedly quite an expert. Here was his quote about drone Pilots :
" there are only two kinds of drone Pilots, those that HAVE crashed and those that haven't crashed, YET "
This is so true and accurate! It makes perfect sense! There will always be something that goes wrong at some point and of course always at the worst time! I believe they call that Murphy's Law

So i purchased a Venom battery charger for the P4P, and ive had it for 3 months. I love it
I would love to write up a review of it, But what are some questions you have about it?

Tkx
Ben

The stock transmitter has a ridiculous amount of range, we're talking 4 miles in isolated areas, so I don't know why you need a range extender. And carbon fiber props are pointless, and are actually a downgrade because they reduce flight time since every one of them that's been released for the Phantom has been heavier than stock.

Not everybody flies in isolated areas that’s the reason for extenders and besides even flying close by (1-3 miles) they improve video feed

Reactions: BenMara
I think, in this case at least, it was a perfectly helpful piece of information to include. The OP said he'd been thinking about getting a drone for commercial work for three years and asked some pretty basic questions about what equipment was going to be important for this task. Someone just mentioned the part 107 certification along with other advice. It's all important stuff for the OP to know. Could he possibly know it already? Of course. Nobody was "whining" about needing a part 107 certificate. Personally I think this forum works best when people can give advice without worrying about being berated for saying something that others think is obvious. Now please don't yell at me for suggesting that. ;)

Reactions: oconnb
I think, in this case at least, it was a perfectly helpful piece of information to include. The OP said he'd been thinking about getting a drone for commercial work for three years and asked some pretty basic questions about what equipment was going to be important for this task. Someone just mentioned the part 107 certification along with other advice. It's all important stuff for the OP to know. Could he possibly know it already? Of course. Nobody was "whining" about needing a part 107 certificate. Personally I think this forum works best when people can give advice without worrying about being berated for saying something that others think is obvious. Now please don't yell at me for suggesting that. ;)
I dunno maybe I'm strange but I would think offering some basic newb flying tips are more in order , I also find it funny that once someone mentions $$ they automatically start babbling 107 without even knowing what the OP or any other has in mind , a wedding photographer is one that comes to mind who would never go for that route... Just sayin, and I didn't yell ..:D

What ever and where ever you buy your drone make sure they have a history of servicing it or replacing it if something should go haywire. I took a tip from someone on one of the youtube videos I researched before buy my unit. He (author) always buys his high end stuff through Amazon because they stand behind their products. No matter who sells through them. I bought this one (for $50 less than they are selling now) and wanted everything in the kit except the lens cleaning kit. About 10 days into the purchase my gimbal went screwy. I called them and they walked me through a couple of check lists and quickly determined it was a serious problem and replaced it, no questions asked. They even emailed me a fedex return label within minutes of our conversation.

FWIW.........the Pro + with the DJI screen is worth every penny of the extra cost. It's very bright and has other obvious benefits of being built in.

Good luck in making your choice.

Reactions: oconnb

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart