A little info for anyone / everyone using device with no cell function

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You flew inside to test this :). Brother that's dedication. Hats off to you sir.[/QUOTE]

Four perfect flights.

And then...

02e889968427a2987858d33aa42a3e34.jpg

The ends are curled on the black one.

And my kid is mad "because he told me so"...

Reactions: Dazzauk
Am I missing something? How can you connect to your craft via wifi if you are already connected to your phone's hotspot, via wifi?

Am I missing something? How can you connect to your craft via wifi if you are already connected to your phone's hotspot, via wifi?

You connect to craft via wi-fi as usual, but the tether / hotspot is bluetooth

If your wifi tablet has gps (Nvidia Shield K1) there is nothing lost...except map caching which can be done before leaving home.

Waiting for your report also!
Just to confirm though, if I go with my iPad wifi only and no iPhone with me I can still cache my maps beforehand and have maps. I know I won't have follow me function or change Home point. But I still will have initial home point at start up, correct?

ALL TESTS COMPLETE, PERFECT RESULTS!!

More later, stay tuned!

So can i say i was right :) hee hee

Im glad, good on you for being the guinea pig as it were lol, i thought it would be fine... Once tethered that device acts just like a device with gps and cell data..

Reactions: The Ghost
So can i say i was right :) hee hee

Hey! There's no "I" in TEAM! I think "we" were right!! Weren't we talking about this and it was you that doubted it would work because you were worried the wifi would be dedicated to that Phantom? Which wouldn't leave any wifi for the tether?! And then one of us wise men mentioned Bluetooth?! [emoji12]

So... the story...

Synopsis: It works. You CAN tether your phone to your wifi only device with a Bluetooth connection for internet and still connect your RC to your wifi only device and have real time maps available as you fly.

Caveat: It was cold, so testing was hurried. During the time it took to set up and test connections, the battery was getting "warning level" cold.

Details: I chose to tether my phone and iPad Mini 2 by Bluetooth first, then power everything else up and make the necessary links between the remote and my iPad... and that was a problem.

I had a hard time establishing a connection between the RC and iPad while the Bluetooth connection was established; in fact I couldn't do it at all. I knew I had done it (and flown) in my living room the night before so I knew it was possible... but then I started second guessing whether maybe my iPad was still connected to my home internet during the living room test...

But that didn't make sense, so I decided to start over and shut everything down, powered up the bird, then the RC, established a wifi connection as usual, THEN established a Bluetooth connection to my phone, and from that point forward everything was perfect.

In fact, during today's flight I was actually pleased that another test was successful; I did not have a single "inference" warning either!! This was the first flight since my upgrade to FW 1.8.1.

It gets even better... I remembered to perform a user-initiated Smart RTH, and exactly as the manual says, I had to toggle S2 exactly twice for it to activate. And return to home it did...

Everything was flawless after I established the Bluetooth connection LAST... and here is a screenshot to show that the map was active on a wifi only device without a cached map (this is the first time this iPad has ever been to this location and I have never cached a map of any kind).

Very happy with all this. I know maps can be cached but I do like the idea of live, real time maps being available any time.

Oh, and one more thing... even in the below zero temps, I still got 20+ minutes of flight time, the iPad still had 86% battery, and because I was able to leave my phone in the warmth of my pocket, even that only went from 76 to 70% battery! That has always been a problem. Below zero, my phone will not last an entire flight without a battery backup.

All around, complete success!!
0044139b20b6dc665b1f297dbfd45130.jpg

You flew inside to test this :). Brother that's dedication. Hats off to you sir.

Four perfect flights.
And then...
The ends are curled on the black one.
And my kid is mad "because he told me so"...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots[/QUOTE]

Perhaps next time inside - just leave off props before power up? [emoji6]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -
Sent from my iPad Pro using PhantomPilots App

Last edited:
jwmcgrath
That's great! Glad to hear. The first thing I thought of before you mentioned it was "would the Bluetooth connection cause Interference"? I'm surprised and glad to hear there wasn't. Thanks for the "field testing"!

Looks like your weather is the same as we have here in Ottawa.

That's great! Glad to hear. The first thing I thought of before you mentioned it was "would the Bluetooth connection
cause Interference"? I'm surprised and glad to hear there wasn't. Thanks for the "field testing"!

Looks like your weather is the same as we have here in Ottawa.

That's where I am!! Actually, dad's farm is in Kemptville but I live in Ottawa... and yes, cold on the hands. It's not thoroughly fun yet...

Perhaps next time try same without props on craft ? [emoji6]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

Well... ya know... it was a lazy Saturday evening, I have a case that fits the bird with the props on it, and it would have been more work to take them off than just leave them on...

And I could have even left it on the floor idling... but you know made me do it? I had a lock on 5 satellites, even in my living room, and the curiosity was killing me if that was enough...

The first four flights the bird was facing directly away from me... super easy to control. The last two, it was sideways and it only takes a split second to lose orientation! [emoji15]

I even precision landed on top of my case the first four times!

And come on... the vroom-vroom when it first starts up with the props on is pretty cool!!

Small world! Just watching the Senators now. I'm actually in Orleans!

Cool... and I'm watching them too! You get so used to thinking everyone is from everywhere in the world you forget some are right next door.

I'm in Barrhaven but I work from Orleans to Kanata... likely be in Orleans all summer!

Still can't sort in my head how the DJIGO app on your cell only iPad (no GPS) in your test was able to obtain GPS info from the Bluetooth connected iPhone - I fully get the other connections, but not the ipad app getting GPS from phone if I understand your post correctly..

Editing my own post [emoji33]. Thought about it more and now realise there isn't GPS info from phone, just data for map, the GPS location (current position and Home location) is of course from the Phantom's GPS - sorted! [emoji4].

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

Last edited:
Fair Enough then you are braver than I, flying inside [emoji106]

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

With the bird facing away from me, I'd do it again, as long as I'm doing nothing more than holding position. For some reason I lose orientation when it's facing any other direction.

I guess that's why the manual says to launch that way... Must be a human nature thing.

But I will tell you that the 3 second delay before the props stop when you do a CSC feels like 3 hours when they are bouncing off your fireplace.

Still can't sort in my head how the DJIGO app on your cell only iPad (no GPS) in your test was able to obtain GPS info from the Bluetooth connected iPhone - I fully get the other connections, but not the ipad app getting GPS from phone if I understand your post correctly..

- Phantom P3A & P3P -

I think you are understanding my post correctly...

Let me clarify what I believe is happening.

The iPad is able to show maps when it's tethered to the phone the same way it does when it's on a home wifi connection... that's not a surprise. That's doesn't mean that it now has GPS capability, but rather that it's now aware of its own location because it is tethered to a device that is tied to a specific location... whether that be a phone with GPS, or a home that is tied to a landline.

Since the iPad has a wifi connection, regardless of whether that connection is coming from a phone or a home wifi, it becomes "location aware". I BELIEVE that it is using that connection to approximate its own location, and my reason for that is the notice that we all get "location information will be improved if you enable wifi".

In theory, the bird is following the iPad, but the iPad is following the phone, and the two need to be close together to work.

Following that reasoning, the bird is not actually following the GPS signal of the iPad because it doesn't have one. It's following the location awareness that the iPad has since it's connected to a GPS device, which it's tethered to.

Does that make sense?

Reactions: Dazzauk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT