550 Pilot's lounge

ElGuano said:
On your last picture, it's hard to tell, but have you tinned the ground wire all the way up to the silicone shielding? I found that if you do not, you expose bare, flexible wire to a good deal of potential vibration, and eventually the stress causes the thin threads to break (not good for long-term survivability)!
Yes, I tinned all the wires. I looked back at all my ground wires, and all of them except for the example picture I posted :oops: are nicely tinned to the silicone shielding. Thanks for catching that oversight on my part, ElGuano... I shall correct it...

Every day I look at one of my builds and think "whoa, there's something I should fix, lest some pedant (looks in mirror) calls me out in a screenshot!" In a way it's kind of nice, I like the build process and I can just keep my soldering iron on all the time.

ElGuano said:
Every day I look at one of my builds and think "whoa, there's something I should fix, lest some pedant (looks in mirror) calls me out in a screenshot!" In a way it's kind of nice, I like the build process and I can just keep my soldering iron on all the time.

Today, I found myself soldering on battery leads to a 550 bottom plate that I don't really have plans to do anything with! Yep keep the soldering iron hot and tinned.

Progress Report (in pictures) on my f550/f650 re-build:

AIMDROIX Extended Arms
FrSky Taranis Transmitter (not shown)
FrSky X8R Receiver
iOSD Mini
Fat Shark Predator V2 (not shown)
Flytrex Core 1
Cooper UAV LED Lighting Kit
DYS 3-Axis Smart Brushless Gimbal (not shown)
GoPro Black (not shown)
QuadFrame 200 Landing Gear - Retracts (not shown)
NAZA - v2
DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System

15068166698_9f25cf1189_o.jpg

15254718435_73b221d603_b.jpg

Also adding a Gimbal Mount Rail System for the DYS under the Retracts... Waiting for some parts...

Does anyone know of a supplier or company which makes F450/550 arms which are lighter than stock? I've looked at the aluminum units from Aimdrox and the CF arms from Aerial Mob, but those all weigh more.

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
Does anyone know of a supplier or company which makes F450/550 arms which are lighter than stock? I've looked at the aluminum units from Aimdrox and the CF arms from Aerial Mob, but those all weigh more.

U.M.

Wouldn't you be afraid that if they were lighter they might not be as strong? My guess would be that if Aimdroix could have made them lighter they would have. Maybe some titanium arms would be lighter but are we willing to pay for that?

EDIT, I do not know of any other arms that are lighter.

jimandsue60 said:
Uncle Meat said:

U.M.

Wouldn't you be afraid that if they were lighter they might not be as strong? My guess would be that if Aimdroix could have made them lighter they would have. Maybe some titanium arms would be lighter but are we willing to pay for that?

EDIT, I do not know of any other arms that are lighter.

Well since I don't intend to crash my hex and I'm not interested in a "heavy lift" mod... I'm just looking at ways to reduce overall weight to increase flight times. I guess DJI did their homework on the stock arms. I find it kind of funny the CF arms actually weigh more than the stock plastic ones from DJI!

U.M.

Uncle Meat said:
I guess DJI did their homework on the stock arms. I find it kind of funny the CF arms actually weigh more than the stock plastic ones from DJI!

That's very true, DJI is actually pretty darn crafty when it comes to efficiency in design and the 450/550 arms are another example of that. However, you never get something for nothing and the tradeoff with those is a tendency to flex some under very heavy loads...but for most people they're plenty strong enough.

OI Photography said:
Uncle Meat said:
I guess DJI did their homework on the stock arms. I find it kind of funny the CF arms actually weigh more than the stock plastic ones from DJI!

That's very true, DJI is actually pretty darn crafty when it comes to efficiency in design and the 450/550 arms are another example of that. However, you never get something for nothing and the tradeoff with those is a tendency to flex some under very heavy loads...but for most people they're plenty strong enough.

I will be giving the arms a test next week when I get my E600 motors and attach them to one of my 450's :mrgreen:

ElGuano said:
I just added an A2 to the F550. Wow. This thing is unbelievable. Compared to the Naza, the position hold is pinpoint and the gains/attitude control is in another league on larger craft.

BE VERY CAREFUL. the A2 has been plagued with crash problems and software issues. I was going to get one as well but after reading all the troubles people are having I decided to stay with my WKM.

Today I finished the re-build of my f550 to a 650... Added the AIMDROIX Extended Arms and rewired every inch of the Hex.

I built and added a custom Gimbal Rail System to accommodate my new DYS Gimbal. The rails still need end caps (which are on order)... I'm using a velcro strap to keep the GoPro to the Gimbal because I hate those locks that surround the lens and screw in. I like to quick disconnect the Gopro to add to my Phantom 1.5...

I need to program the Taranis TX with the Gimbal. That's the only thing I have left to do...

Other than that, everything works surprisingly well... from the FatShark FPV System with the iOSD mini to all my LED's and the QuadFrame Retract System (also custom built).

The only concern I have is that the f650 comes in at 2968 grams. My f550 weighed 2769 grams. I didn't even include a carbon fiber battery tray that I planned to add on the rail system to possibly fly with two 6400mah batteries. I'm also still using a 3S battery system because I originally bought three 6400 Batts when the Hex was a 550...

My question to you guys is: am I too heavy to fly for at least 8 to 10 minutes at this point (with only one battery at the present weight)? I did upgrade to the DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System... I was thinking of flying with the 1038 Props that came with the f550 originally for extra lift, if possible... (The pictures below show the E300 Props).

I'm actually afraid to fly this thing because of all the work I put into it. I'm still not the best pilot, but that's the idea is to get in the air and FLY!!!

Last question: Does everyone's Hex look like mine under the hood? It took a lot to squeeze everything together... I tried to keep it as neat as possible. Don't think I can add anything else...

f650 Re-Build:

AIMDROIX Extended Arms
FrSky Taranis Transmitter (not shown)
FrSky X8R Receiver
Fat Shark Predator V2
iOSD Mini
Flytrex Core 1
Cooper UAV LED Lighting Kit
Custom LED Strobe Kit
Custom Gimbal Rail System
DYS 3-Axis Smart Brushless Gimbal
GoPro Hero Black
QuadFrame 200 Landing Gear - Custom Retracts
NAZA - v2
DJI E300 - Tuned Propulsion System

15211409758_411ebb49d0_b.jpg

15374975806_da25b6494c_b.jpg

15211252299_2fab597fa3_b.jpg

15211509219_085bb0c267_b.jpg

15211492157_b541bf55e1_b.jpg

15374975486_f21cfab223_b.jpg

Test flight soon... Video to follow...

Yea-mine looks just like that under the hood. I have the same arms. However-if it were me, I'd lose the retracts. That will save you probably at least 200 grams=more flight time.
As far as the E300 system, I haven't a clue.
I'm at 3450 grams, but I have larger engines and ESC's and run a 4S 8000mah battery. My flight times are around 12 minutes with 11X5 props, on 2814-770KV T-motors, and 30A Opto DJI ESC's.

You may eventually need to get new engines and ESC's, as the weight goes up. You can run 12" props on those arms.

However-I've not had any luck with the one's I've tried simply because of vibrations/down wash on the camera/gimbal. I have a 2 rails system with the H3-2D gimbal, and the camera is positioned around 6" in front of the front plate. I have a "shade" mounted above the camera to shield it from down-wash and the sun...but have only had limited success with that.

I tried the 12" props again Today, and I had them balanced perfectly. However, the vibration was so bad, that I just cannot use any 12" prop on my aircraft, and get good video. It also tends to drift a lot more with the 12" props, to the point I had to fly in Attitude mode to hold position.

Can anyone please tell me how to get the complete user manual for the F550? The one I downloaded from DJI is only 7 pages and doesn't cover the operation or the Naza.

Here's a question for the f550 Upgrade Engineers of this group (OI Photography, ElGuano, EMCSQUAR)...

I recently rebuilt my f550 by adding AMDROIX Extended Arms and the DJI E300 Propulsion System. Instead of using the 9443 Props that came with the kit, I was going to use the 1038's that originally came with the f550 Kit...

How would using 9450 Props on the E300 System work? I wouldn't think it could cause any harm to the motors... It would probably give me better lift on a heavy copter like my HEX at 2975grams - 3S Battery System...

And if you guys think it would be a positive choice, would anyone know where I can get a set of Black 9450 Props?

LMK... Thanks...

PJA said:
Here's a question for the f550 Upgrade Engineers of this group (OI Photography, ElGuano, EMCSQUAR)...

I recently rebuilt my f550 by adding AMDROIX Extended Arms and the DJI E300 Propulsion System. Instead of using the 9443 Props that came with the kit, I was going to use the 1038's that originally came with the f550 Kit...

How would using 9450 Props on the E300 System work? I wouldn't think it could cause any harm to the motors... It would probably give me better lift on a heavy copter like my HEX at 2975grams - 3S Battery System...

And if you guys think it would be a positive choice, would anyone know where I can get a set of Black 9450 Props?

LMK... Thanks...

I have to ask, why did you want to install extended arms on a 550 if you are using E300 motors? What did you gain except extra weight?

Is the craft more stable with a wider stance?

I am not criticizing just curious.

jimandsue60 said:
I have to ask, why did you want to install extended arms on a 550 if you are using E300 motors? What did you gain except extra weight?

In hindsight, I should have used the E600 configuration with the extended aluminum arms... My ultimate goal was to carry a heavier payload such as a DSLR camera. However I am working on another project to get one in the air which doesn't include this version of my f550...

Benefits of the aluminum arms are that they are stiffer and stronger than the plastic DJI arms... The aluminum acts as a heat shrink to dissipate heat from the motors... and all around stability since I'm running a larger set of retracts under the Hex, just to name a few of the benefits... You have to admit that it's also an all around nicer look for the Hex...

But yes, I should have put larger motors to make it a more efficient machine...

PJA said:
jimandsue60 said:

In hindsight, I should have used the E600 configuration with the extended aluminum arms... My ultimate goal was to carry a heavier payload such as a DSLR camera. However I am working on another project to get one in the air which doesn't include this version of my f550...

Benefits of the aluminum arms are that they are stiffer and stronger than the plastic DJI arms... The aluminum acts as a heat shrink to dissipate heat from the motors... and all around stability since I'm running a larger set of retracts under the Hex, just to name a few of the benefits... You have to admit that it's also an all around nicer look for the Hex...

But yes, I should have put larger motors to make it a more efficient machine...

Gotcha! I recently did the same with a 550 and E300 motors using the stock DJI arms. I did not like its flight characteristics with a full payload. I then used those motors on a 450. I did however build another 450 with the standard size Aeroxcraft aluminum arms using the E600 motors. It flies much better with the same payload then the 550 did.

Your build does look great!

3088732_orig.jpg

jimandsue60 said:
WOW! Your Quad looks like some BEAST!!! Really nice looking... Would love to see some Video of it in action....
Those are the 12x4.3 props? I'm sure they are very efficient... I wish I can use them on mine, but I don't think the E300 engines match it very well and would probably over heat trying to spin those suckers...

I should be testing my Hex this week (if the weather gets any better)... Then I'll see after a few flights if I should rework the f650 with more efficient motors...

Thanks for sharing the pic of your quad! Really nice! :)

Good Luck with it...

"Would love to see some Video of it in action...."

Yes they are the 12x4.3 props. Here is a short video I took today.

[vimeo]108812684[/vimeo]

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart