550 Pilot's lounge

Here's my charger of choice. You get the best of both worlds AC/DC

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0720i-NET3-AC-DC-4928.htm

I can fully charge my 3S 6400mAh 35 C Lipo with 34% remaining in about 20-30 minutes at 2C = 12.8 amps. This is a 20amp charger. I like it since i can plug it into my wall outlet at home or connect to my car battery when necessary.

havasuphoto said:
FangsCPO said:
Here's my charger of choice. You get the best of both worlds AC/DC

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0720i-NET3-AC-DC-4928.htm

I can fully charge my 3S 6400mAh 35 C Lipo with 34% remaining in about 20-30 minutes at 2C = 12.8 amps. This is a 20amp charger. I like it since i can plug it into my wall outlet at home or connect to my car battery when necessary.
Thanks-bookmarked it. Do I need to order any adapters or a different power supply?
Have you tried it in your car? wondering how much drain on your battery it would be and how fast it would charge?

I use it with my car battery frequently since I also do RC On-Road and Off-Road racing. I've never used it with a power supply, there's no need in my opinion. You just tell MaxAmps what connector you want and they'll add it for a fee. You will need to purchase the JST balance connector but once that is done you'll be good to go. I find the speed a little bit faster at home then when using my car. If you have 3 lipos - 6400 mAh, you can basically fly all day long as long as you keep charging them. Obviously, I would recommend starting your car now and then so you don't kill you battery.

I'm using iCharger 208. Basically the same idea as Fangs. Same kind of choices. I charge at 16 amps (somewhat arbitrary for me) but it rarely uses that much. I have a bridge so I can do three at a time but I usually just charge one at a time. Could easily be used in the field but I have enough batteries that I just drag them with me and go home when I'm done. I have a power supply for home - would use the car if in the field. Was out at the RC field today and some of those guys have 8 or 10 batteries! AND they bring their chargers with them. Serious dudes. They were in awe of the multirotors I brought but they really knew what they were doing. 3D flying is awesome when you are up close watching.

Okay.....so I'm looking at getting this radio but I can't seem to find a mount for my FPV Boscam 7in screen. Any ideas?

Futaba 10JA 10-Channel 2.4GHz Air Radio System S-FHSS Mode 2 FUTK9200.......I'm only looking at this only because my DX7s has my gimbal knob on the right hand side and it's too clumsy to work smoothly while flying around. Any suggestions?

FangsCPO said:
Okay.....so I'm looking at getting this radio but I can't seem to find a mount for my FPV Boscam 7in screen. Any ideas?

Futaba 10JA 10-Channel 2.4GHz Air Radio System S-FHSS Mode 2 FUTK9200.......I'm only looking at this only because my DX7s has my gimbal knob on the right hand side and it's too clumsy to work smoothly while flying around. Any suggestions?

I'm not totally positive but I think any of the CF generic ones will work. Here is the one from Helipal (I have it) but I think you can get similar ones locally/ebay/etc.

http://www.helipal.com/fpv-monitor-moun ... itter.html

I've started using a tripod recently. I think I like it more.

That won't work with this radio because of the handle on the back. I use that on my current DX7s.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Is anyone else here using something like the batwing? My mate made me one out of some carbon fibre plate he had but I'm getting some serious jello and shake.

It's sitting about 3cm's behind the moters, below the arms and I'm using the black dampners. I'm going to try adding some foam between the batwing and arms and see how that goes.

I also tried using the white dampners, more or less the same.

I'm actually surprised with the batwing, didn't improve my field of view as much as I thought it would.

SammyB said:
Is anyone else here using something like the batwing? My mate made me one out of some carbon fibre plate he had but I'm getting some serious jello and shake.

It's sitting about 3cm's behind the moters, below the arms and I'm using the black dampners. I'm going to try adding some foam between the batwing and arms and see how that goes.

I'm actually surprised with the batwing, didn't improve my field of view as much as I thought it would.

I'm happy with mine as far as overall weight savings, but like you I was less than impressed with the field of view the Bat Wing provided. Had it mounted as far out on the top of the arms as I could when first installed. Worked great except I was getting the props and the bottom inch or so of the left landing leg in frame with my shots so I moved the Bat Wing to the bottom of the arms hoping that extra 1/4-inch would negate some of the props I was seeing. It did help some, but it really needs to sit another inch lower. I'm looking at making a spacer to drop it down even further. As far as jello... I've had none in my videos and I've used only the black rubber isolators thus far. Have you balance your props?

U.M.

Updated_hex3.jpg

Uncle Meat said:
SammyB said:

I'm happy with mine as far as overall weight savings, but like you I was less than impressed with the field of view the Bat Wing provided. Had it mounted as far out on the top of the arms as I could when first installed. Worked great except I was getting the props and the bottom inch or so of the left landing leg in frame with my shots so I moved the Bat Wing to the bottom of the arms hoping that extra 1/4-inch would negate some of the props I was seeing. It did help some, but it really needs to sit another inch lower. I'm looking at making a spacer to drop it down even further. As far as jello... I've had none in my videos and I've used only the black rubber isolators thus far. Have you balance your props?

U.M.

Updated_hex3.jpg

Yea mines sitting below the arms at the moment. I did balance them back at home but I have traveled by plane a few times and it wasn't very "secure" in the case. I'll check their balance tonight, I like your idea of adding a few spacers to drop it down more. I'll probably do the same.

Hopefully it's not my moters, I don't have anything or any idea on how to balance those :/

There is a video in youtube on how to balance motors. In my opinion, that is too much work to do but it is possible. Good luck.

I have to retract my statement regarding the E300 upgrade.

Today, just for fun I used my 3S 5500 mAh 35C battery instead of my usual S3 6400 mAh 35C battery. I found that my F550 responds so much more quicker to my stick inputs as compared to the stock motors. I believe that the additional weight of my 6400 lipo is holding back the motors full potential.

It also has me wondering if maybe I should consider using a 4S battery but then I'll need to install a BEC for my LEDs and FPV. I have a Castle BEC that I can program to ensure I don't burn out my LEDs and FPV. Things to consider........think....think......LOL!!!

I have a question, when I was going full forward the F550 tends to dip and the props come into view. How can I adjust that? Is that a matter of adjusting the COG and then the gains?? I'm still using the stock gain settings...that has never been changed.

FangsCPO said:
I have a question, when I was going full forward the F550 tends to dip and the props come into view. How can I adjust that? Is that a matter of adjusting the COG and then the gains?? I'm still using the stock gain settings...that has never been changed.

If I understand the question correctly, this is just how a multirotor moves. It drops the velocity of the props in in the direction it travels so you'll always pitch down in that direction. You can lower your forward speed to reduce the effect if your priority is video, but the only real solution is to push the camera forward enough where the gimbal's tilt axis stabilization doesn't bring the dropped arms into view. Alternatively, you can go with a frame layout with a different stance for the front arms...

That's what I figured....thanks for reassuring me.

havasuphoto said:
couple more questions for you F550 guru's. This charger; http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0720i-NET3-AC-DC-4928.htm
does it come standard with an A/C power cord to plug into the wall socket? If so, what is the "Max Amps" add on power supply for?

Also-the aircraft I'm looking at, is already programmed for the Futaba T8J. Assume I just use my own T8J, which is set up for Naza/Phantom 1, when I get the aircraft and download the config file, will it recognize my T8J as the correct remote? And, will my default switches for IOC, FS, gimbal tilt, and all that-work correctly?

I think there is no standard power supply. You would have to buy the one they list (another $75). That is not unusual for better chargers - they can work from AC power supplies or car batteries so they price them alone.

After you bind the transmitter to the rx, it should work for the basics. Be sure to check Failsafe. My 8FG and 14FG do not automatically implement Failsafe with non-Phantom Naza. You may need to program the tx to allow for that (on mine, the default Failsafe is to keep using the last command entered).

You do not need the power supply. I have been using that charger for well over two years and I have never had to use a power supply. I either plug it into the wall at home or I hook it to my car battery on road. That easy.

Retractable landing is cool and is nice bling but keep in mind your flight times will be much less than a F550 with no retractable landing gear.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spaz_12