5.8GHz vRx suddenly affected by 2.4 GHz DJI controller

Reaction score
Not sure what changed recently but I noticed my FPV signal quality was seriously degrading. It was getting progressively worse and now it's completely useless.

Current setup
ImmersionRC 600mw video transmitter wired directly into GoPro (bypassing gimbal); power source is from the Phantom.
Boscam LCD-5802 diversity receiver
Stock DJI radio controller

Symptoms
White banding when moving more than 10 feet from controller. Static is seriously reduced when the orientation of radio controller antenna is changed or when my hand is put between the video receiver and antenna. Seems like a 2.4 GHz interference thing to me.

Things I've tried
Changing antennas - I've used the generic ones that came with the unit, spironets and my FPVLR antennas. No difference
Using Boscam 200mW vTx - no difference in signal
Trying all different video channel combinations on transmitter and receiver
Moving to a location with less chance of interference
Checked all Phantom internal connections for video ensuring a good solder connection
Moving the receiver 10 feet away from radio controller - symptoms somewhat improve but cannot get more than 30 feet of range

Things I have not tried
Changing video receiver
Changing radio controllers

--

I really think there an issue with the receiver so I ordered the immersionRC duo receiver.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any input.

I sometimes see the same - but on a less severe basis. With the TX on, I get white ghost flickers across the screen.

Never bothered to cure it, as it does not affect me flying FPV, but I will check to see if it gets worse.

I'm surprised no one else has responded to my post :p -- I've seen a number of videos on YouTube that document this same issue but I can't find the cause.

I notice this too... originally with my boscam rx832 and a cheapy lcd, and now a black pearl. Moving the antenna on the phantom remote usually helps. I've narrowed it down to the power output of the remote's tx. The 2.4 ghz power from the remote is affecting the circuits of the display itself. I have noticed the banding on my cheapy display even with the rx powered off.

Make sure the tx antenna is 90 degrees perpendicular to your display. Something I haven't tried but might work is some foil or metal screen across the back of the display, to protect it from radiation from TX antenna that is very close now that the pearl is mounted directly to the remote.

gordonthree said:
I notice this too... originally with my boscam rx832 and a cheapy lcd, and now a black pearl. Moving the antenna on the phantom remote usually helps. I've narrowed it down to the power output of the remote's tx. The 2.4 ghz power from the remote is affecting the circuits of the display itself. I have noticed the banding on my cheapy display even with the rx powered off.

Make sure the tx antenna is 90 degrees perpendicular to your display. Something I haven't tried but might work is some foil or metal screen across the back of the display, to protect it from radiation from TX antenna that is very close now that the pearl is mounted directly to the remote.

It didn't do this 2 weeks ago. What would make it suddenly start other than some kind of component degradation? Weird...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl