360 degree selfie for photogrammetry?

Reaction score
I was wondering whether it is possible to program my phantom 4 using Litchi or other software to take a series of pictures around a subject to later use with photogrammetry software to construct a 3D mesh to be used in other 3D software. It would be like the Pano function in Litchi (take picture, rotate, take picture, rotate, etc...) but rather than aiming the camera out as the drone rotates, it would actually be circling the subject at a tight radius taking pictures at different angles and elevations. Don't know whether the collision detection would interfere with a tight radius. I could use a wider radius since the pictures are high resolution, but then I would have much more data to clean up during processing.

Any ideas?

Can't you just use the "orbit" feature to achieve what your looking for? Sounds like that's what your describing.

Don't know whether the collision detection would interfere with a tight radius.

Think you can turn off your OA in the app if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know anything about using Litchi or other apps but have been looking into a few since I finally feel confident enough to start using same.

I came across this app at DJI Ultimate Flight - v3 - Android Apps on Google Play - not sure if this might help with what you're trying to achieve.

Suggest you take a video using orbit. Then download the video and use software to split the frames into individual jpg photos. VLC will do this . The drawback is that the jpg quality may not produce the best 3D model.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Another challenge with using stills from video is that you don't get GPS info, which the software may rely on for rendering the 3D model.

The good news is that Litchi has a solution for you. In the camera settings, set the Capture Mode to Timer and specify the number of seconds between photos. You can then run an orbit mission and the drone will snap a picture every X number of seconds. You will need to play with the orbit speed, radius, altitude, gimbal pitch and camera timer to get the desired result, but once you've got it down, you can save the flight plan and do it over and over. This is also useful for architecture and landscape 3D modeling with services like Altizure & DroneDeploy.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen