1st Flight with Samsung VR Goggles

Reaction score
I used the VR gogles with the Litchi App today, and, it was pretty impressive, the resolution is not spectacular, but, good enough. Not having to struggle to see my tablet or phone in bright sunlight is a huge plus. Also, controlling the gimbal with your head movement is pretty cool, I set the gimbal speed to the lowest speed, and it's VERY smooth and natural to use.

The only thing that I really miss (for still photos) is being able to access the camera controls, Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO.

I think that I will use the VR for video, and my tablet for stills.

The Samsung goggles need some modification to be able to connect them to the RC Controller, not a big deal, took about an hour. If anyone needs the details, let me know.

John

Reactions: TEvgeny
I have Samsung VR, but didn't try it yet. And I thought that it should work without any modifications. So, can you please provide details about this? Thanks.

I have Samsung VR, but didn't try it yet. And I thought that it should work without any modifications. So, can you please provide details about this? Thanks.

I removed the the connector insert (removable from the goggles) that the phone would normally plug into, if you take the connector off, there are 4 small screws that need to be removed, the insert with the micro USB (or USB C) connector and contacts will pop out, then, put the screws back in. Removing the connector will keep the connector from scratching the top of the phone, since we will be using the phone connected from the opposite side of the goggles.

Next, take the front plate of the goggles off to access the clamp on the opposite side of the goggles. After removing the front plate, remove the 6 screws from the housing that holds the clamp in. Drill, file, Dremel an opening that will allow a micro USB cable to pass through the clamp and plug into the phone. Re-assemble.

Pass the micro USB cable through the modified clamp, plug into your phone, power on the controller, start Litchi, power on the phantom, hit the VR button on Litchi, put your phone in the goggles and fly!

It's easier than it sounds, probably took an hour.

I hope this makes sense. I'm away from office at the moment, I can attach some pics if needed.

Reactions: TEvgeny
I removed the the connector insert (removable from the goggles) that the phone would normally plug into, if you take the connector off, there are 4 small screws that need to be removed, the insert with the micro USB (or USB C) connector and contacts will pop out, then, put the screws back in. Removing the connector will keep the connector from scratching the top of the phone, since we will be using the phone connected from the opposite side of the goggles.

Next, take the front plate of the goggles off to access the clamp on the opposite side of the goggles. After removing the front plate, remove the 6 screws from the housing that holds the clamp in. Drill, file, Dremel an opening that will allow a micro USB cable to pass through the clamp and plug into the phone. Re-assemble.

Pass the micro USB cable through the modified clamp, plug into your phone, power on the controller, start Litchi, power on the phantom, hit the VR button on Litchi, put your phone in the goggles and fly!

It's easier than it sounds, probably took an hour.

I hope this makes sense. I'm away from office at the moment, I can attach some pics if needed.
Pics please. Some video would also be awesome! Which phone are you using? I have the Galaxy S8+. I recieved the goggle for free when I purchased the phone. Are those the same goggles you are referring to?

Pics please. Some video would also be awesome! Which phone are you using? I have the Galaxy S8+. I recieved the goggle for free when I purchased the phone. Are those the same goggles you are referring to?
If they gave you the goggles free with the phone, I would imagine they will fit the phone without modification. Try it first.
I read about some of the earlier VR Goggles needing a mod, but it was to make the phone fit, not to make the goggles work with DJI, per se.

If they gave you the goggles free with the phone, I would imagine they will fit the phone without modification. Try it first.
I read about some of the earlier VR Goggles needing a mod, but it was to make the phone fit, not to make the goggles work with DJI, per se.
So I hook up the goggles, with phone attached, directly to RC? Any steps I should be aware of?

So I hook up the goggles, with phone attached, directly to RC? Any steps I should be aware of?
Let's be clear: I have not done this, so I don't want to tell you wrong. Others who have used Litchi's goggle option should chime in here. I just don't think you will have issues using you new phone with your new goggles, unless the salesman screwed up. Good luck!

Let's be clear: I have not done this, so I don't want to tell you wrong. Others who have used Litchi's goggle option should chime in here. I just don't think you will have issues using you new phone with your new goggles, unless the salesman screwed up. Good luck!
Thank you Tech.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart