• Advertisement

Advanced search

T-Motor Anti-Gravity upgrade

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD

T-Motor Anti-Gravity upgrade

Postby Audaciter » Fri May 03, 2013 1:03 am

Well I've flown the Phantom a few times now with the new T-Motor MN2214-11 Anti-Gravity motors, and I really like them.

Even with all the added weight of the GoPro with waterproof housing, gimbal, bec's etc, It performs extremely well.
I am using 9" carbon fiber props too.

The flight characteristics are so smooth and responsive, I don't think there is anything about this setup I would change.

I am looking forward to FPV flying, if I ever get my FatShark kit.

I am using the gains that DJI recommends for the FW330, I'm not sure what the original Phantom gains were.

On a side note, I have replaced all 4 of my esc's, after that one caught fire, and I don't get that high pitched whine
anymore.
Audaciter

Advertisement

Re: T-Motor Anti-Gravity upgrade

Postby Sac D » Fri May 03, 2013 2:14 am

That's cool. Which ESCs did you go with?
Sac D

Postby Audaciter » Fri May 03, 2013 2:36 am

That's cool. Which ESCs did you go with?

Actually I just got replacement esc's on ebay, from a place in New York, but the interesting thing is that the firmware chips
have FW330 on them.

I bought DJI 30 amp Opto esc's for the Phantom, but they were too large, so they will go on the TBS Discovery I'm building, and I plan to flash the firmware chips to improve performance,and eliminate that high pitch whine.

Turns out the DJI esc's are rebranded Turnigy products.
Audaciter

Postby Mr. Lucid » Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 am

I have a stock Phantom on it's 7th flight now and straight out of the box I hear a high pitched whining noise when flying. The props are balanced and although I did not balance the motors, I did rev them up without the props attached both with/without the prop nuts to check for vibration in the body of the craft. It flies incredibly well and so far I am impressed with the product. Up to this point I figured that the high pitched whining noise during flight is normal since it flies well and none of the motors are excessively warm after flight. So, my question is, is that noise something to be concerned about, or is it just inherent in the design of the product? If it is nothing to worry about, then I can live with it as once you fly it far enough away from you, you cant hear it anyway.

Otherwise, I need to know if mine has a defect so I can swap it out while still within my return policy.

Any help would be appreciated.
Mr. Lucid

Postby Bart1 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:31 am

I hear that annoying high-pitched squeel, too. I thought it was the bearings...?
Bart1

Postby Mr. Lucid » Tue May 07, 2013 12:17 pm

I will add. It is more noticeable with the throttle past 50% (so basically after take off). But once in flight, throttle position does not seem to have much effect on noise. I did many quick ascend/descend maneuvers in my living room to see if changing throttle input has an effect. It does not appear to.
Mr. Lucid

Postby Mr. Lucid » Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Okay... I've done a bit of YouTube hunting and have found that the noise I am hearing is probably normal. This video is the closest to what mine sounds like when flying... You can hear the buzzing of the props, as well as the high pitched whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6fgmuk2rM
Mr. Lucid

Postby auck » Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm

Mr. Lucid wrote:Okay... I've done a bit of YouTube hunting and have found that the noise I am hearing is probably normal. This video is the closest to what mine sounds like when flying... You can hear the buzzing of the props, as well as the high pitched whine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI6fgmuk2rM

that high pitch whine is the ESC. it's normal
auck

Postby Audaciter » Tue May 07, 2013 6:00 pm

that high pitch whine is the ESC. it's normal

Auck is right, it has to do with the firmware programming.

You can fix it with a hammer and chisel. :mrgreen:
Audaciter

Postby Gary39 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:38 pm

What do you need the chisel for ? LOL
Gary39

Next

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion