• Advertisement

Advanced search

9 inch props for Phantom question

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD

9 inch props for Phantom question

Postby Ton4 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:36 am

After I ordered my Phantom I went accessory shopping on eBay. (Phantom is in a DHL plane now)

It supposed to be the latest version with the white/black self fastening prop screws etc.

Read something about needing balanced props, so I ordered a few of those.

They already have arrived, can't check if they are really balanced, but anyway. They are 9 inch.

Does anyone have experience with those props? ( see attached pic)

What gains are advised for this type?

Sent from my SM-T311 using Tapatalk
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1386851305402.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1386851305402.jpg (48.82 KiB) Viewed 1825 times
Ton4

Advertisement

Re: 9 inch props for Phantom question

Postby rilot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:13 am

Personally, I'd have gone with the props for a Phantom Vision. They seem to be the best 9" props around and fit straight on.

You will need some prop nuts for those ones you've ordered. If your Phantom comes with the self-tightening props it won't come with nuts. You'll need 2 x normal and 2 x left-handed. No idea where to buy them though.
DJI S800 EVO - A2, X140BS gimbal, 2.4GHz ground station.
DJI F550 - Naza-M V2, H3-2D, iOSD mini, Graupner 9x5.
DJI Phantom 2 - H3-2D, iOSD mini
FrSky Taranis
http://www.rilot.co.uk - Achieve an elevated view
rilot

Postby Ton4 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:23 am

Ok, thanks. Was planning for the Vision Props.

Seems like i will have a lot of props for sale soon :) No nuts :(

Sent from my SM-T311 using Tapatalk
Ton4

Postby Hiway » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 am

I had to balance my carbon fiber props that came- and I wish I could post a report on any improvements or changes, but between sub zero temps and winds, I cannot get a flight in to see.

As for the balancing- I invested in a dubro prop balancer based on some feedback here and other places and I am extremely glad I took heed- this gadget is tits on a ritz! The props came and not a single one was balanced- not even close- once they were leveled out and installed on the Phantom, I could immediately tell a HUGE difference from the original props from sound, smoothness on motor startup, and a few blips of the throttle tells me that they are humming along in rare form- I expect more torque (stiffer blade material and no flex) and a much more vibration free image from my gopro. Get a prop balancer- and if you go with the integrated nut props from DJI, then there is only 1 or 2 balancers that may work to do those types- dubro is one and there is a nice thread here that shows how. (forget where it is though)
Hiway

Postby Ton4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:43 am

Surprise.

I received a Phantom v 1.2 and it comes with self tightening prop screws. (Black and White) But also with notches below the thread?

Even found myself a balancer, balanced the 9"" carbon props, and my DJI props.

The 9"" carbon props don't seem to offer beneficial properties over the standard props. It seems as if the standard props even give a bit more fly-time.

Next step is of-course the Vision 9"" props, but I wonder if they fit. Even though I have self-tightening nuts, the shaft also has notches. Would the Vision props fit there? My guess is yes, because the vision props don't have the notches inside, so there would only be some empty space....., but if someone could enlighten me :?

Did someone find carbon Vision type props that are better than the standard vision props?
Ton4

Postby ElGuano » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:19 am

Ton4 wrote:Did someone find carbon Vision type props that are better than the standard vision props?

No idea if they're "better" but I got carbon fiber vision-style 9" props off ebay. I don't have the self-tightening motor threads so I got the unthreaded variety.

I get 2-3 minutes more flight time, but that's on dual batteries so the increase definitely is not as great as some are reporting here on single batteries with real Vision props. I've never tried real Vision props because my Phantom won't fit them.

These are a bit lighter than real Vision props.
ElGuano

Postby Peter Patricelli » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:58 am

If you have a pretty bare, stock bird....the advantages over OEM props will not be very substantial. The stock ones work pretty well....though should still be balanced.

It is when you start loading the bird down with gimbal+camera+FPV TX, etc., etc. that the stock props lose their efficiency and the advantages of the larger props start to separate themselves. There is no such thing as "pre-balanced" props...in my experience. They ALL need balancing once they arrive. Clearly the airflight from China UNbalances them.
Peter Patricelli

Postby Ton4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:09 am

Still stockish. Tomorrow fpv fitting, waiting for the gimbal. Will find me some vision props....

Final setup will be 600mw Fatshark, 2 batteries and 3 axis gimbal. With the vision props I hope for 6-7 minutes fly time....
Ton4

Postby nwillitts » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:36 am

rilot wrote:Personally, I'd have gone with the props for a Phantom Vision. They seem to be the best 9" props around and fit straight on.

You will need some prop nuts for those ones you've ordered. If your Phantom comes with the self-tightening props it won't come with nuts. You'll need 2 x normal and 2 x left-handed. No idea where to buy them though.

i bought my phantom ver.1 2 weeks ago-came with self tightening props and the nuts as well.
nwillitts

Postby rilot » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:52 am

nwillitts wrote:i bought my phantom ver.1 2 weeks ago-came with self tightening props and the nuts as well.

Interesting. Nice that they are putting the nuts in the box so you can use whatever props you like.
DJI S800 EVO - A2, X140BS gimbal, 2.4GHz ground station.
DJI F550 - Naza-M V2, H3-2D, iOSD mini, Graupner 9x5.
DJI Phantom 2 - H3-2D, iOSD mini
FrSky Taranis
http://www.rilot.co.uk - Achieve an elevated view
rilot

Next

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion