Video: Installing a Tilt Control Knob on Stock Transmitter

Discussion specifically related to the Zenmuse HERO Gimbal for DJI Phantom

Moderators: Adam, DeweyAXD

• Advertisement
The World's Best Personal Drone

Video: Installing a Tilt Control Knob on Stock Transmitter

Postby Adam » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:00 pm

A few notes:

-I removed the original pot with pliers, just rocked it back and forth until it came loose. It is thin metal.

-I rushed through this, but you have to use a metal saw to trim the metal shaft of the pentiometer down so it is flush with the transmitter.

-I ended up using a black sharpie marker to mark on the transmitter the straight down and straight horizontal views for the camera so I can easily refer to them while flying.
Adam
Site Admin

Advertisement

Re: Video: Installing a Tilt Control Knob on Stock Transmitt

Postby deluge2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:12 pm

Adam wrote:A few notes:

-I removed the original pot with pliers, just rocked it back and forth until it came loose. It is thin metal.

-I rushed through this, but you have to use a metal saw to trim the metal shaft of the pentiometer down so it is flush with the transmitter.

-I ended up using a black sharpie marker to mark on the transmitter the straight down and straight horizontal views for the camera so I can easily refer to them while flying.

Thanks for documenting this conversion. Be aware however that the originators of this mod specify using a 5k-ohm 'Linear Taper' potentiometer (RadioShack Part number 271-1714), not a 5k-ohm 'Audio Taper' pot (RadioShack Part number 271-1720).

A linear taper pot will have a resistance that is directly proportional to movement between endpoints. An audio taper pot will vary logarithmically between endpoints. They appear identical and cost the same ($3.49)...but if you want consistent fine control of camera angle throughout its range of motion, a linear taper pot will do the job. If you don't care, then use whatever you like.

Unfortunately E Chang was unable to find the linear taper pot (Part number 271-1714) at local RadioShacks, so he used the audio taper pot (271-1720) instead. But he didn't make this substitution clear. So now those who don't dig deeper are following his otherwise very well documented lead.

Steve
deluge2

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks, I will swap for the linear pot if I can find one and post the difference.
Adam
Site Admin

Postby deluge2 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:50 pm

Adam wrote:Thanks, I will swap for the linear pot if I can find one and post the difference.

It will be interesting to know your impressions following a direct comparison, something I haven't seen anyone comment on. Perhaps you'll like the non-linear relationship better. We'll also be interested in how well you like the position of the control on the transmitter shell. Several different locations have been shown in various posted examples. I was favoring a position where I could adjust the camera tilt while still controlling both primary joysticks.

I have the parts, but haven't made the mod yet.

Steve
deluge2

Postby ditka » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:27 pm

so if you do NOT add the tilt knob....
how do you force the gimbal to a certain direction when turning it on?

I just installed gimbal number 2 ( 1st one was DOA ) but when I power on the phantom, the camera keeps pointing down

any help is appreciated...I have updated with all new firmware, etc

Thanks
ditka

Postby ditka » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

ignore the last post...

I discovered that if the camera is off when you power up phantom...it points down

with the camera on at power up...all good

so far so good
ditka

Postby ditka » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:28 pm

I am such an idiot and newbie....

I just realized there is a X1 access port on the back of the Radio...
sorry for the bother.

I figured it out...a few turns of that switch and I am good

Cheers
ditka

Postby Adam » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:07 pm

deluge2 wrote:
Adam wrote:Thanks, I will swap for the linear pot if I can find one and post the difference.

It will be interesting to know your impressions following a direct comparison, something I haven't seen anyone comment on. Perhaps you'll like the non-linear relationship better. We'll also be interested in how well you like the position of the control on the transmitter shell. Several different locations have been shown in various posted examples. I was favoring a position where I could adjust the camera tilt while still controlling both primary joysticks.

Steve

Ok, I swapped the pots tonight. Using the linear pot over the audio pot made a difference. It's not huge, but it's smoother and after calibration in the Naza assistant for X1, it uses the full travel of my pot and not just a small part. The placement of the knob that I used isn't the greatest, I think it would have been nice if I could have put it on the where my left thumb could roll it while I am pushing forward on the right stick. The way I have it setup if I want to do a flyover while tilting the camera down I have to reach my left hand way over to get to the knob. Not perfect and it will take some practice but I am pretty happy with it. It would be tight to get the pot on the side though, not sure if that would work.
Adam
Site Admin

Postby deluge2 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:29 am

Adam wrote:
Ok, I swapped the pots tonight. Using the linear pot over the audio pot made a difference. It's not huge, but it's smoother and after calibration in the Naza assistant for X1, it uses the full travel of my pot and not just a small part. The placement of the knob that I used isn't the greatest, I think it would have been nice if I could have put it on the where my left thumb could roll it while I am pushing forward on the right stick. The way I have it setup if I want to do a flyover while tilting the camera down I have to reach my left hand way over to get to the knob. Not perfect and it will take some practice but I am pretty happy with it. It would be tight to get the pot on the side though, not sure if that would work.

Thanks for closing the loop on the effects of the two types of pots. Can you comment on the degrees of pot shaft rotation that moves the camera by 90 degrees, ie from straight ahead to straight down?

Steve
deluge2

Postby Driffill » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:34 am

Adam wrote:
deluge2 wrote:

Steve

I bought the bit to do this mod too, I currently have a shapeways lever kit, and didn't have the best luck at first (was slipping???), I "fixed" it up but I'm yet to test it again. . . .

If I'm not happy with it, I'll swap over to this method, I was looking at placement tonight. if I had it in the middle, I'd try and add a little lever on the top of the knob, to allow me to just push the knob around with just one finger. Also have the level point set with the lever facing 12 and 6 for easy return :)

The picture explains it better, I just sat the bits on the control, its not actually connected!
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374147124.449174.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1374147124.449174.jpg (142.66 KiB) Viewed 2147 times
Driffill

Next

• Advertisement

Return to Zenmuse H3-2D GoPro Gimbal