• Advertisement

Advanced search

STICKY: 2/5 bug-fix app v1.0.48 released for iOS

Moderators: Adam, DeweyAXD, gunslinger, BenDronePilot

  • Advertisement
The World's Best Personal Drone

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby YeeaaBoii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:54 am

Hey everyone! I've been searching the forums and finding the answers to most of my questions but updating the remote control has given me nothing but problems. I normally use my Mac for everything so I updated the Phantom Vision very easily with the Mac software assistant BUT then I read I also need to update the remote controller too. Luckily I also have Windows based desktops so I was able to download the R/C assistant for Windows. Here is where I ran into problems... All positive, beneficial input will be greatly appreciated!

#1: I have come to the conclusion that it is IMPOSSIBLE to separate my remote control to gain easy access to the micro USB port inside of it. My remote is straight up welded shut around the antenna or somebody put some insane glue around the antenna ring because there's no way I can separate it without breaking it. I was finally able to get the micro USB plugged into it though by bending it open enough to fit some fingers inside.

#2: After I finally got the micro USB plugged in, I thought the update would go as smoothly as it did on my Mac when I updated the Phantom Vision... Yeah, that didn't happen. I downloaded the R/C assistant for Windows on a Dell running Windows Vista. Every time I turn on the remote control to update it, Windows tries to find the drivers to install the remote controller to the computer. Obviously, it found nothing and said install was unsuccessful but the R/C assistant software also refused to recognize the remote control was plugged in! I tried every combination of opening the R/C assistant and turing on the remote controller and clicking yes or no to Windows trying to install the drivers but the R/C assistant software just tells me to plug in the remote. I also attempted this on a PC running Windows 7, same thing happened. I am now waiting for an ancient laptop that runs Windows XP to boot up to give it one last shot.

Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!
YeeaaBoii
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:31 am

Advertisement

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby BenDronePilot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:09 am

YeeaaBoii wrote:
Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!


Hi, Actually the controller is not "glued" around the ring. You just have to lift it out at a slight angle. If you look there's a youtube video showing that off.

Now as far as getting your controller updated. There's just one thing you forgot to do. You need to download the DJI Driver installer. They have two different versions of the installer package. One is for Windows 8 and named as such. The other is For Windows 7 / Vista / XP. It's also worth noting that during the install process of the driver you will get unsigned driver warning prompts, just click continue. Plug your controller back into your PC, switch it on and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
BenDronePilot
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 am

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby YeeaaBoii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:15 am

BenDronePilot wrote:
YeeaaBoii wrote:
Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!


Hi, Actually the controller is not "glued" around the ring. You just have to lift it out at a slight angle. If you look there's a youtube video showing that off.

Now as far as getting your controller updated. There's just one thing you forgot to do. You need to download the DJI Driver installer. They have two different versions of the installer package. One is for Windows 8 and named as such. The other is For Windows 7 / Vista / XP. It's also worth noting that during the install process of the driver you will get unsigned driver warning prompts, just click continue. Plug your controller back into your PC, switch it on and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.


Thank you for replying so quickly! I know it's not actually glued around the antenna ring but I watched that YouTube video you mentioned before I wrote this post and I have no clue how he popped it off so easily. I have tried pulling and turning every angle and this thing will not budge.

And I will download the driver installer... Sorry for bein' a complete noob! Thank you very much again!
YeeaaBoii
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby BenDronePilot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:32 am

YeeaaBoii wrote:
BenDronePilot wrote:
YeeaaBoii wrote:
Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!


Hi, Actually the controller is not "glued" around the ring. You just have to lift it out at a slight angle. If you look there's a youtube video showing that off.

Now as far as getting your controller updated. There's just one thing you forgot to do. You need to download the DJI Driver installer. They have two different versions of the installer package. One is for Windows 8 and named as such. The other is For Windows 7 / Vista / XP. It's also worth noting that during the install process of the driver you will get unsigned driver warning prompts, just click continue. Plug your controller back into your PC, switch it on and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.


Thank you for replying so quickly! I know it's not actually glued around the antenna ring but I watched that YouTube video you mentioned before I wrote this post and I have no clue how he popped it off so easily. I have tried pulling and turning every angle and this thing will not budge.

And I will download the driver installer... Sorry for bein' a complete noob! Thank you very much again!


No problem. Maybe i'll post my own video showing precisely how assembly and disassembly works. You shouldn't have to twist anything to get it on and off tho. And when putting the controller back together, make sure the antenna and the ring is on. Start by sliding the front lip of the back of the controller case into the ring at a slight angle, it will give allowing it to slide in to place. At this point both halves of the controller will be in the ring as you lower the back half the rest of the one onto the front portion, then screw everything down. Hope it all works out and happy flying!
BenDronePilot
 
Posts: 815
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:46 am

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby iDrone » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 am

YeeaaBoii wrote:...I downloaded the R/C assistant for Windows on a Dell running Windows Vista. Every time I turn on the remote control to update it, Windows tries to find the drivers to install the remote controller to the computer... I also attempted this on a PC running Windows 7, same thing happened. I am now waiting for an ancient laptop that runs Windows XP to boot up to give it one last shot.

Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!


First, download & install DJI WIN8 Driver Installer then try again. If you still have problems, right-click shortcut, select Properties / Compatibility / Run this program in compatibility mode for / Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Under "Privilege Level select "Run this program as an administrator," if needed.

As for the camera, if your national television standard is 30Fps 60Hz system frequency (USA) then you don't need the upgrade for now. If your tv standard is 25Fps 50Hz system frequency then you may want to upgrade. Follow the directions posted. Good luck. Most televisions will play 50Hz & 60Hz video, so if you don't absolutely need 50Hz video hold off until we find out more about "Factory Reset".

iDrone
User avatar
iDrone
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:10 am
Location: Los Angeles, California USA

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby YeeaaBoii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:02 am

BenDronePilot wrote:
No problem. Maybe i'll post my own video showing precisely how assembly and disassembly works. You shouldn't have to twist anything to get it on and off tho. And when putting the controller back together, make sure the antenna and the ring is on. Start by sliding the front lip of the back of the controller case into the ring at a slight angle, it will give allowing it to slide in to place. At this point both halves of the controller will be in the ring as you lower the back half the rest of the one onto the front portion, then screw everything down. Hope it all works out and happy flying!



I finally got it off. It didn't SOUND good when I finally got it to break loose because it sounded like I had just snapped the plastic but surprisingly everything was intact. Maybe mine was just a little tighter than normal because it really took some effort and I was pulling at the angle you advised and that was shown in the video I found.

I also got the remote updated no problem once I installed the driver like you said. I even took it out for a test flight just now and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks once again! :D
Last edited by YeeaaBoii on Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
YeeaaBoii
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby YeeaaBoii » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:05 am

iDrone wrote:
As for the camera, if your national television standard is 30Fps 60Hz system frequency (USA) then you don't need the upgrade for now. If your tv standard is 25Fps 50Hz system frequency then you may want to upgrade. Follow the directions posted. Good luck. Most televisions will play 50Hz & 60Hz video, so if you don't absolutely need 50Hz video hold off until we find out more about "Factory Reset".

iDrone


Thanks for the info on the camera update! I guess I won't be needing it for a while like you said.
YeeaaBoii
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:31 am

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby AnselA » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:31 am

I found it difficult to reassemble RC box after the update. But, having the antenna parallell position to the box pointing right hand side, made it easy to get halves together.
AnselA
 
Posts: 895
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm
Location: Declination +8° 11'

Re: P2V Camera Bricked on Failed Firmware Update

Postby t.rexxer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:12 am

scgrout wrote:I attempted a firmware update for the P2V camera to 1.1.8. The firmware update did not complete properly and now the P2V camera is bricked. The status LED on the camera is constant red (or orange) regardless of switch position. There is no connectivity to the camera at all. According to the manual, a red LED means a "critical error" and requires a "factory reset."

This happened about 15 days ago and I have searched and searched the forums with no luck. I have also emailed DJI tech support 3 times now without single reply from them. I purchased the P2V direct from DJI, so there is no dealer I can turn to. I am now going on 3 weeks with a broken Phantom and no help or hope of getting it fixed. This has turned a $1,200 purchase into a very frustrating experience. I would not recommend this product to others based on how easily it can be bricked and the lack of responsiveness from the maker.

I would appreciate any help I can get. If anyone knows (a) how to reach DJI tech support, or (b) what a factory camera reset is, or (c) how a user might do a factory reset on the camera, or (d) any other resource I might turn to to get my P2V flying again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.


Man, I feel your pain. So sorry you are having the camera issue. I purchased by PV Dec 10th and only have the updates to do. Wish I could help you but I am learning from the problems you and others are experiencing, and now I am glad I didn't attempt do the camera updates as recommended since my testing shows it is functioning fine at this point, but should proceed with the Transmitter and Phantom upgrades before attempting flight. Am I on the right track everyone??

Good luck with the fix scgrout.
t.rexxer
Last edited by t.rexxer on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
t.rexxer
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Postby t.rexxer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:33 am

BenDronePilot wrote:
YeeaaBoii wrote:
Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!


Hi, Actually the controller is not "glued" around the ring. You just have to lift it out at a slight angle. If you look there's a youtube video showing that off.

Now as far as getting your controller updated. There's just one thing you forgot to do. You need to download the DJI Driver installer. They have two different versions of the installer package. One is for Windows 8 and named as such. The other is For Windows 7 / Vista / XP. It's also worth noting that during the install process of the driver you will get unsigned driver warning prompts, just click continue. Plug your controller back into your PC, switch it on and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.


Good advice Bendronepilot. I will make a note of your recommendations for my update procedure. Thank you very much for the info. Good luck YeeaaBoii...
t.rexxer
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to Important Stickies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

  • Advertisement