• Advertisement

Advanced search

How High?

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, OI Photography, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD

Re: How High?

Postby BigMojo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:31 am

Also, if you are in the USA, maximum operating altitude for model aircraft is 400ft (AGL). Also, you can't fly within 3 miles of an airport without notifying and receiving permission from the Control Tower.
BigMojo

Advertisement

Postby denodan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:46 pm

And it's the ones claiming and wanting great heights, and posting all over You Tube, and internet that are going to stuff it up for the rest of us. There will be tough restrictions coming, or restrictions on RC TX range in force. You can have as much going to 100 feet of less anyway.

Most high flights are boring, much better going low to the ground, showing speed and movement, etc, much more exciting to see a quad skimming the ground at great speed, than going up turning around then down again, and no sense of speed. I don't see the need to go that high anyway. I like to keep my quads in line of sight, so maybe 100-150 feet max is plenty of height.

And a limit of 400 feet as some have said, what's wrong with that? It is well more then enough. Only some like and will and stuff it up for us all.
denodan

Postby pwright » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 pm

I believe you are correct that if the Phantom and other quadcopter owners don't act responsibly then laws and regulations will be passed to enforce responsible behavior. Here in the US there are already several states looking at passing laws limiting the use of RC aircraft and especially those with video capability.

However your opinion of what makes for interesting video or interesting flying is just that, an opinion, and it carries no more weight or significance than that of anyone else. Video and photos taken from on high are interesting to me when they are of beautiful or just interesting locales. This is also true when they are of places that I'm only familiar with from my limited ground perspective. The power of flight is one of those dreams that pretty much everyone has at one time or another. These devices give us that illusion and the manner in which one enjoys it isn't yours to judge.
pwright

Postby auck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:17 pm

as stated by DJI's tech spec on the phantom the communication distance is 300m (roughly 984 feet). so theoretically speaking the phantom should be able to climb that high up, but of course that is neglecting to take into account the condition of the atmosphere, not to mention the battery strength in both the flying unit and the controller.

regardless of how high it can actually go, with all of the reported Phantoms going rogue, do you really want to fly it so high that you loose sight of it? not to mention that if something goes wrong and the phantom drops out of flight, i would rather have it drop from 100 feet rather than at max altitude.
auck

Postby denodan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 pm

auck wrote:as stated by DJI's tech spec on the phantom the communication distance is 300m (roughly 984 feet). so theoretically speaking the phantom should be able to climb that high up, but of course that is neglecting to take into account the condition of the atmosphere, not to mention the battery strength in both the flying unit and the controller.

regardless of how high it can actually go, with all of the reported Phantoms going rogue, do you really want to fly it so high that you loose sight of it? not to mention that if something goes wrong and the phantom drops out of flight, i would rather have it drop from 100 feet rather than at max altitude.

Which is another reason I keep mine low, I simply do not trust any quad going high. To much can go wrong, and the higher you go, the wind and air currents get stronger and know due to wind strength, and up drafts, has been the cause of a lose of some of these quads.

It maybe claim, no wind on the ground, but get up high it will be much winder and if you fly at height, when it is windy, your asking for trouble and real risk of loosing your drone. Also going at great height, your drone has a lot more work battling wind and currents, so would this also not flatten your battery even faster?

But would think flying at height is a totally different skill and will certainly behave far different than someone not going over 100 feet. The higher you go, the greater the risk of losing your quad, and greater chance of air currents and up drafts taking your quad out of your control.
denodan

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion