• Advertisement

Advanced search

Getting a GoPro 3, but worried about WiFi

DJI Phantom Quadcopter General Discussion

Moderators: Adam, gunslinger, ElGuano, LuvMyTJ, DeweyAXD, OI Photography

Getting a GoPro 3, but worried about WiFi

Postby denodan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 am

I am getting a GoPro 3, and have read don't use the Phantom with Wifi, and GoPro3, else the Phantom gets flyaways? I am concerned even the Remote that comes with GoPro 3 is also wifi, so is it advisable no to use any of these?
denodan

Advertisement

Re: Getting a GoPro 3, but worried about WiFi

Postby BadWolf » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 am

With all the fly aways being reported on various boards I've decided to retire my GoPro for a while until this all gets sorted out. I've ordered a 808 #16 v2 keychain camera with the D lens. It shoots 720p 30fps. It's under $50.00 on Ebay. There's plenty of videos on Youtube, that look great. It also comes with the cable foe FPV.
BadWolf

Postby Gildo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 am

I don't use my GoPro 3 anymore with my Phantom. Wifi turns 'on' when mounted under the Phantom, and even when I use the camera seperately, WiFi turns on when it is near the main controller....

I now use my GoPro 2 under the Phantom, and when using the GoPro 3 I tell my wife to stand 30 feet away from me.
Gildo

Postby telecaster » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 am

I have 53 flights with GoPro Hero3BE on my Phantom. ( Yes I keep a log of all my flights)
I have always turned the WiFi on the camera off, no issues so far.

Its really hard to figure out the reason for flyaways, wifi?, too much signal noise in the neighborhood?
The Phantom TX seems pretty weak, and the RX inside the Phantom is maybe an issue too?

Anyway in a week or two I will be replacing the TX/RX chain with a new Jeti DS-16 TX and a Jeti RX.
Even if the Phantom is more or less a toy for me, it would be nice to keep control :idea: :arrow: 8-)
DJI Phantom, DJI550 NazaM+gps, QAV400 & QAV500 NazaM+GPS, Mikrocopter Octo XL
telecaster

Postby fourthline » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am

Yes, turn off the WiFi and it won't be a problem (something else can give you the issues :) ). It shouldn't turn on by itself if you've got it selected as "off" in the settings.
fourthline

Postby Gildo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:00 pm

That's why I posted.

My GoPro 3 turns the WiFi 'on' when it is near the main controller.

When mounted under my Phantom, the Phantom couldn't be controlled anymore after some time.

I managed to land and WiFi was activated... only not by me.

Happened 3 times, then I decided to not use the GoPro 3 anymore.
Gildo

Postby fourthline » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm

Weird. I haven't had that issue, mind you I don't carry the remote around with me. in fact I've never used it. So perhaps the answer is just leave the remote at home.
The other thing is, have you turned off the WiFi through the settings menu as opposed to with the WiFi button? I think there are a couple options and I wonder if one functionally operates like a standby switch (I don't have my GoPro handy so I can't check)
fourthline

Postby FangsCPO » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:37 pm

telecaster wrote:I have 53 flights with GoPro Hero3BE on my Phantom. ( Yes I keep a log of all my flights)
I have always turned the WiFi on the camera off, no issues so far.

Its really hard to figure out the reason for flyaways, wifi?, too much signal noise in the neighborhood?
The Phantom TX seems pretty weak, and the RX inside the Phantom is maybe an issue too?

Anyway in a week or two I will be replacing the TX/RX chain with a new Jeti DS-16 TX and a Jeti RX.
Even if the Phantom is more or less a toy for me, it would be nice to keep control :idea: :arrow: 8-)

I'm just like you, I keep a log of all my flights and my HERO3 always on. I'm up to Flight #33. No Issues so far. I'm always careful on my pre-flights checks and I cross my fingers.
U.S. Navy Retired. Sponsored by "You" the tax payers.
Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/FangsCPO

Phantom, T-Motors, Carbon Fiber Props, ARRIS CM2000 v3, HERO3
F550 NAZA-M v2, E300, H3-2D, iOSD, 5.8 GHz FPV 600mw, HERO3+
FangsCPO

Postby Gizmo3000 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:48 pm

No problems here with my Hero3 Black.
when I first got it I actually flew a few times intentionally with the Wifi turned on (wasn't aware of any potential threats).
But once I heard of those, I made sure it was turned off prior to take-off. never had a problem with loss of control, knock on wood.
Gizmo3000

Postby Gildo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:46 am

I'll try again, leaving the remote of the GoPro 3 at home :-)
Gildo

Next

• Advertisement

Return to General Discussion